ESPN mischief once again

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Gosh if we get 22 mil from espn .........and I know little of tech debt but we should be able to fund a bunch of recruiting trips with this kind of jack.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately I think we'll still have the crappy OOC games because they give us an extra home game. There will be no more BYU's or even Tulane's on our schedule. It will be 2 poop teams (probably FCS) and UGA, so we can continue having 7 home games every year. An extra home game is extra revenue. I personally want to see a 16 team playoff and 10 games a year with only 6-7 in conference games one crappy FCS team, one decent team, and UGA. Then you play the conference championship game for an 11th game and possibly up to 4 more in the playoff or just 1 more for a lower teir bowl.

Animal02

Banned
They could easily get rid of the crappy FCS games by not counting them toward the championship standing...count them for bowl eligibility for the third tier teams.......not that there is much future in the bowls anyway.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As far as I am concerned, every FBS team should have to play 11 conference games and only be allowed one rivalry game outside the conference. Then the regular season, conference championship games, and playoffs will ALL have meaning. I could care less if it is a hard schedule. We have a playoff now. Voting should only count for playoff seeding, nothing more. Losing a game will impact little, outside your standing in your conference, in this scenario.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
As far as I am concerned, every FBS team should have to play 11 conference games and only be allowed one rivalry game outside the conference. Then the regular season, conference championship games, and playoffs will ALL have meaning. I could care less if it is a hard schedule. We have a playoff now. Voting should only count for playoff seeding, nothing more. Losing a game will impact little, outside your standing in your conference, in this scenario.
I agree..the playoff situation is fine if handled well and legal but the big uns will always get a shot over other good teams with not as good press.If you play as you desire then at the end the best gets a shot..hope we do that soon.

gtdrew

Banned
I think, due to a lack of pre-season games, kicking the crap out of one FCS team is acceptable. I think it should HAVE to be one of the first three games you play...

Animal02

Banned

Personally, I would like to see a return to 10 team conferences, no conference championship games. Play nine conference games and 3 OC games.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't be so sure the UGA series will continue. The SEC is also looking at 9 games . Gonna be hard for the doggies to give up the revenue from a home game since they road trip to Jax every year.

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
I read the article below in ESPN where Bobinski explained why teams in the ACC (and possibly the SEC) will likely be playing against FCS teams in the foreseeable future:
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/55655/acc-plans-on-continuing-fcs-games

"Geographically the Big Ten has a different set up. They have a relationship with the Mid-American Conference, which works philosophically, geographically, competitively on a lot of levels. We live in an area where there’s an awful lot of FCS football. We have some responsibility, and I think the SEC will do the same thing. I don’t think they’re going to do what the Big Ten has done, either. We feel like we have a responsibility to the sport in our region to continue to play some of those games."

Because if these games go away, many of these FCS programs will not have the money to support themselves. Payouts from these guarantee games support the entire athletic department.

Another interesting article I found while looking around on the internet....
http://www.fbschedules.com/2013/02/2013-college-football-scheduling-fbs-vs-fcs/

85% of the FBS teams play at least one game against a FCS team. Note: ACC and SEC lead the BCS conferences with the most games played against FCS teams in 2013 (14 and 16 games respectively).

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I heard rumblings of this about the second week of the season when there was not a good game all day. If SOS is important and big TV money is supporting all this, they want good programing.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm pretty sure that fans of GT and that other school in the state legislature would pass a law requiring a GT U(sic)gA game were it ever dropped.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Nah, couldn't do it. Higher academic standards have brought in a new kind of student to U(sic)gA and this whole fantasy thing has brought an agnosticism to team identity at all levels of football. These new kind of students aren't comfortable with that school's traditional position in the smart vs. good ole boy debate and try really hard to pretend that the rivalry either doesn't exist or is irrelevant. Neither of those kinds of person fill seats or buy gear for that place in Athens. Puppy nation is what it is, and given their history I suspect they'd feel compelled to put on their bedsheets and run whatever administrators decided to drop that game out of town on a rail.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
I know this is a craaaazy idea...
What if rivalry games were played after bowl games? That would make everything ALL ABOUT rivalry without effecting the season.

would also make football season 1wk longer :D