ESPN likes Georgia Tech???

Yjacket82

Georgia Tech Fan
Well it is a well known fact that Clemson's defense was so soft last year because they never got to practice against any smash mouth football teams.. No to mention, there is no way bud foster and VT defense could ever stop the 30 because they haven't gone against a real offense in 3 years.

You bring up an interesting point. Can you imagine a Virginia Tech practice? Sack, Fumble, Interception, TFL... It must be hilarious. I have never seen one of their Spring games. It must be a lot like last year's Wake Forest game.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
This is true to a point. Our #1 O wil also run plays for our D that are not part of our base O.

I don't recall ever seeing that. We may run plays we don't use much during the year but they are in our "playbook". I don't ever recall seeing our #1 O line up in a shotgun 11 set and run a play clemson or UGA does for our #1 D to practice. That is what the scout team is for...

Just because I haven't seen it doesn't it mean it hasn't happened...gosh no...but I don't ever recall seeing it my times being there.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
It actually does happen a bit during the spring practices. Ted Roof asked for that concession as part of his agreement when he took the job. So, during spring, our offense will mix in some plays that are run out of shotgun or 4 WR sets, etc. Not a lot of them but enough so that our defense gets at least a look at those formations and plays.

Once fall practice begins however, I'm fairly certain we don't have our offense running any plays not in our playbook....except of course when the scout team begins to run them when game prep starts.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I take issue with the notion we didn't know how to play the run last year. The problem we had is that we had to bring 6 to get pressure on the QB. When you do that you will appear to be out of the "run lanes" from time to time. Getting in the correct run lanes also requires getting off blocks, which is not something our LBs did really well in the early half of the year.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
It actually does happen a bit during the spring practices. Ted Roof asked for that concession as part of his agreement when he took the job. So, during spring, our offense will mix in some plays that are run out of shotgun or 4 WR sets, etc. Not a lot of them but enough so that our defense gets at least a look at those formations and plays.

Once fall practice begins however, I'm fairly certain we don't have our offense running any plays not in our playbook....except of course when the scout team begins to run them when game prep starts.
Yup...I read this as well.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't recall ever seeing that. We may run plays we don't use much during the year but they are in our "playbook". I don't ever recall seeing our #1 O line up in a shotgun 11 set and run a play clemson or UGA does for our #1 D to practice. That is what the scout team is for...

Just because I haven't seen it doesn't it mean it hasn't happened...gosh no...but I don't ever recall seeing it my times being there.

What @daBuzz said, but I think it happens some in the camp too. Beyond that, we run pass skellys and I expect ol v dl drills with our 1s. It's not like our 1s on D only face our 1s on O (and vice versa) when they're running option.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
What @daBuzz said, but I think it happens some in the camp too. Beyond that, we run pass skellys and I expect ol v dl drills with our 1s. It's not like our 1s on D only face our 1s on O (and vice versa) when they're running option.
According to someone who should absolutely know the truth...it doesn't happen in fall until the scout teams start up.
We do some drills where they see other stuff but no live contact where our offense is running other than our offense.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Why do people keep saying this; that is totally wrong. We practice against our offense almost exclusively during all spring and fall camp. We practice against the scout team during the season. But all spring ball, all fall ball and all summer, our reps are vs our offense. Every 11 on 11 every day, is our #1 D vs our #1 O. All spring and all Fall. Every 7 on 7 is our O sets vs our D. All spring and all fall. In fact our scout team isn't even named until this week. Literally. Paul didn't assign a scout team until monday.

Secondly, I know this to be true because I have seen it with my own eyes over 3 weeks of practice. Its not an opinion of mine. I have seen it, proved it with my own eyes.

Bro...you are just wrong here. We practiced against our O for 22 days this fall and however many in spring (20 practices or whatever)

Now we can debate the effects it has on the D. Thats up for debate. and that is fine.

And I know @Ibeeballin, @vamosjacket will back me up. When they played, all spring, fall and summer, all they did was rep against their O and their O plays. Its just then, it was more traditional O set.

you move to the scout team in the season. But not preseason. Live reps are vs your O. In unit drills, you will line up vs various looks and sets, like 21 or 20 or 11 personnel. but the live ball reps are vs your O

They make it seem like once we hit mid August, all we do is practice against our own O. Which we don't do. Which no one does. Who cares what we do in spring and the start of camp? You're not going to spend time prepping for someone else on the schedule in spring. But once we hit the middle of August and start prepping for the season, these talking heads keep beating their gums about us practicing against our own offense and that hurts our defense. We don't from that point on. I know we go up against our own O in spring and for the start of fall. But the Arbuckles of the world keep talking about all we ever see is our own offense and that is not true. What we do in spring is immaterial.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Wow, this akin to saying MSNBC loves George Bush! I just don't think there is any sincerity here from ESPN.

It's like CPJ says, nobody gives us any respect but we don't want it given we are going to go out and take it! It's part of the equation, Georgia Tech football only given respect if and when we win the National Championship. No credit for a history of greatness and traditions unmatched in the game. Just mindless bull crap about the SEC and the other ones they wish were great like ND, Miami, USC, Penn State and Oklahoma.

The ACC needs to start their own Network and align themselves with someone other than ESPN.

Go Jackets!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You want to see the ACC go into obscurity, have them team with someone else for our Network. We'd get ZERO air play on ESPN. Just an opinion. How often do you watch Illinois or Northwestern on the B1G network? Living here in Chicago, the B1G Network gets skipped straight over in my house. No interest, even if it were OSU and UM or UW.

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
@33jacket thanks for explaining through that. I think the reason most of us still rail against the 'they only play against the option' narrative is that the eggsperts who spout it don't provide context for what they're saying.

It's become yet another lazy narrative along with all the others. They just throw it out there and don't add that we play against a scout team to give us a look at our opponents' stuff. They don't really even break down what we're actually doing on the field effective or ineffective. Every completed pass and it's, "uh, they can't defend the pass 'cause option, blah, blah, blah ..."
While this is true, consider that we NEVER get practice against a full speed conventional offense running with starter quality athletes. We get plenty of "looks" against scout team, sure, but is that as good as scrimmage against the first team? I don't know, I'm asking.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
While this is true, consider that we NEVER get practice against a full speed conventional offense running with starter quality athletes. We get plenty of "looks" against scout team, sure, but is that as good as scrimmage against the first team? I don't know, I'm asking.

I do not know how CPJ runs a practice but in my experience once the season starts there is not much full speed "scrimmage" type practice. Mostly looking at formations, "tendency" plays out of those formations, where key personnel are lined up, and lots of two hand touch to make sure people are in the right place and the right D call is made..

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I do not know how CPJ runs a practice but in my experience once the season starts there is not much full speed "scrimmage" type practice. Mostly looking at formations, "tendency" plays out of those formations, where key personnel are lined up, and lots of two hand touch to make sure people are in the right place and the right D call is made..

Wednesdays are live. Other days you are right.

4NatlChmps

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow, this akin to saying MSNBC loves George Bush! I just don't think there is any sincerity here from ESPN.

It's like CPJ says, nobody gives us any respect but we don't want it given we are going to go out and take it! It's part of the equation, Georgia Tech football only given respect if and when we win the National Championship. No credit for a history of greatness and traditions unmatched in the game. Just mindless bull crap about the SEC and the other ones they wish were great like ND, Miami, USC, Penn State and Oklahoma.

The ACC needs to start their own Network and align themselves with someone other than ESPN.

Go Jackets!
Bite your tongue - The U-seless was never "great" they cheated the whole time. That's like saying SMU was great.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Why do people keep saying this; that is totally wrong. We practice against our offense almost exclusively during all spring and fall camp. We practice against the scout team during the season. But all spring ball, all fall ball and all summer, our reps are vs our offense. Every 11 on 11 every day, is our #1 D vs our #1 O. All spring and all Fall. Every 7 on 7 is our O sets vs our D. All spring and all fall. In fact our scout team isn't even named until this week. Literally. Paul didn't assign a scout team until monday.

Secondly, I know this to be true because I have seen it with my own eyes over 3 weeks of practice. Its not an opinion of mine. I have seen it, proved it with my own eyes.

Bro...you are just wrong here. We practiced against our O for 22 days this fall and however many in spring (20 practices or whatever)

Now we can debate the effects it has on the D. Thats up for debate. and that is fine.

And I know @Ibeeballin, @vamosjacket will back me up. When they played, all spring, fall and summer, all they did was rep against their O and their O plays. Its just then, it was more traditional O set.

you move to the scout team in the season. But not preseason. Live reps are vs your O. In unit drills, you will line up vs various looks and sets, like 21 or 20 or 11 personnel. but the live ball reps are vs your O
I think the point is everyone works against their own offense during spring and camp. People like Arbuckle are saying our defense is limited because they practice against our offense. We work against scout just like everyone else does. Every body gets better at stopping their own offense. I believe that is an uninformed opinion.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think the point is everyone works against their own offense during spring and camp. People like Arbuckle are saying our defense is limited because they practice against our offense. We work against scout just like everyone else does. Every body gets better at stopping their own offense. I believe that is an uninformed opinion.

As I mention, we can debate if it hampers the d or not. I will say this...and you draw any conclusions you want from it, but Roof specifically told paul he wants to go up against more traditional O sets more in spring for his D to learn; and had that added into his coaching agreement upon hire (not in the contract but just as an agreement).

90% of the reps are vs our O plays and option. Does it hamper our D? I have no clue. At one point I believed it did actually. Especially in teams that run alot of FB sets and TE sets. Then I started thinking, alot of teams we play with read option spread option plays like clemson....our D is actually ok repping our O to defend these since its very similar in run fits.

Personally, in my experience alot of tendencies, and habits are created in spring and fall camp and the offseason. If those are created vs our unique O it may not be good. At the same point, any DL will tell you its easier playing up than dodging a cut or scoop....and backend responsibility is really similar. LB's....thats a bit different...but I know people have opinions that think it does hurt us and others think it doesn't matter.

I have gone back and forth between the two. If I was a LB, and ran vs the option play after play, where I am either avoiding a cutting AB, or smashing the A gaps...after a while it would get old, and to me it seems you would lose sharpness on hitting the flats in cover 2 or reading a FB or TE....but maybe not. @Ibeeballin doesnt' think it would affect him...so I have to trust that...but I have heard DC's from teams in the past saying it doesn't help their D.

so who knows if arbuckle is right or not. What I do know, is we never have really had a good D under paul to the likes we saw under Gailey. Call it coaching. Talent or whatever, but its just fact....3 DC later...so, is there something to this???? Maybe...or maybe not

I think this year will say a bunch...we seem to have experience, good above avg talent and decent line depth....If we are blowing assignments like we did under Groh and Roofs first 1.5 years...then I am worried for sure.