ESPN likes Georgia Tech???

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
Great Look nailed the mystery of our bad D - against the run (and against the pass btw) we were not in the right fits/lanes. If we get that fixed, the team could roll.
The only thing is, in 2013 when we weren't struggling with D-Line depth issues, we were 11th against the run. The D was also 31st overall and 29th in pnts against. I think last year, people don't consider how much difficulty the staff had with all of the player attrition on that side of the ball. I am confident this year's D will be much closer to the 2013 team. If it is, my goodness, watch out this team will be nasty!

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Arbuckle is a moron. We. Don't. Practice. Against. Our. Own. Offense. Nobody does.

Now, if he wants to say that we don't have the personnel on our scout team to give the defense better looks, that's probably a legitimate beef. But the continuing crap about the defense having trouble because they practice against the option all the time is just outrageously stupid. Did his own teammates at UCLA practice against Arbuckle and the UCLA offensive set routinely when he was there?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
"They" predict the ACC getting left out of the playoffs! They have the Coastal way behind the Atlantic. They have us way down on their power index. (Whatever that is).
And they have Watson and Kayala crowned as top two QBs in the ACC.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Arbuckle is a moron. We. Don't. Practice. Against. Our. Own. Offense. Nobody does.

Now, if he wants to say that we don't have the personnel on our scout team to give the defense better looks, that's probably a legitimate beef. But the continuing crap about the defense having trouble because they practice against the option all the time is just outrageously stupid. Did his own teammates at UCLA practice against Arbuckle and the UCLA offensive set routinely when he was there?
I agree. The problem is people believe that stuff because he said it. What an idiot.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Why do people keep saying this; that is totally wrong. We practice against our offense almost exclusively during all spring and fall camp. We practice against the scout team during the season. But all spring ball, all fall ball and all summer, our reps are vs our offense. Every 11 on 11 every day, is our #1 D vs our #1 O. All spring and all Fall. Every 7 on 7 is our O sets vs our D. All spring and all fall. In fact our scout team isn't even named until this week. Literally. Paul didn't assign a scout team until monday.

Secondly, I know this to be true because I have seen it with my own eyes over 3 weeks of practice. Its not an opinion of mine. I have seen it, proved it with my own eyes.

Bro...you are just wrong here. We practiced against our O for 22 days this fall and however many in spring (20 practices or whatever)

Now we can debate the effects it has on the D. Thats up for debate. and that is fine.

And I know @Ibeeballin, @vamosjacket will back me up. When they played, all spring, fall and summer, all they did was rep against their O and their O plays. Its just then, it was more traditional O set.

you move to the scout team in the season. But not preseason. Live reps are vs your O. In unit drills, you will line up vs various looks and sets, like 21 or 20 or 11 personnel. but the live ball reps are vs your O

Last edited:

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
And that is one reason our offense is so effective. The opposition only sees it when they prepare for us. It cuts both ways. Most defenses have a seek and destroy mindset, which has problems against assignment football.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Why do people keep saying this; that is totally wrong. We practice against our offense almost exclusively during all spring and fall camp. We practice against the scout team during the season. But all spring ball, all fall ball and all summer, our reps are vs our offense. Every 11 on 11 every day, is our #1 D vs our #1 O. All spring and all Fall. Every 7 on 7 is our O sets vs our D. All spring and all fall. In fact our scout team isn't even named until this week. Literally. Paul didn't assign a scout team until monday.

Secondly, I know this to be true because I have seen it with my own eyes over 3 weeks of practice. Its not an opinion of mine. I have seen it, proved it with my own eyes.

Bro...you are just wrong here. We practiced against our O for 22 days this fall and however many in spring (20 practices or whatever)

Now we can debate the effects it has on the D. Thats up for debate. and that is fine.

And I know @Ibeeballin, @vamosjacket will back me up. When they played, all spring, fall and summer, all they did was rep against their O and their O plays. Its just then, it was more traditional O set.

you move to the scout team in the season. But not preseason. Live reps are vs your O. In unit drills, you will line up vs various looks and sets, like 21 or 20 or 11 personnel. but the live ball reps are vs your O

This is true to a point. Our #1 O wil also run plays for our D that are not part of our base O.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
"When they play other teams, they are lined up in the wrong running lanes because they are used to defending the Triple Option"

So when we simulate other teams in "Season" practice we have have our scout team run the Flexbone.

So thats how we prepared so well for Clemson, Georgia, Va. Tech, Miami, etc... We had our scout team emulate our offense and not theirs.

I get it now.... :rolleyes:

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
CPJ called more passing plays. JT would break them and scrabble. Nothing wrong with that he just has to get more comfortable and trust his passing ability more.

Yeah GT can beat anyone.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
"When they play other teams, they are lined up in the wrong running lanes because they are used to defending the Triple Option"

So when we simulate other teams in "Season" practice we have have our scout team run the Flexbone.

So thats how we prepared so well for Clemson, Georgia, Va. Tech, Miami, etc... We had our scout team emulate our offense and not theirs.

I get it now.... :rolleyes:
Yeah. I think the problem is that pundits want to make absolute statement to make themselves sound knowledgeable. Where I think Tech fans get onto them is that we never hear this about other teams. "Well the problem with South Carolina's defense is that all they ever practice against is a run and gun offense and that puts them at a real disadvantage when they come up against a power I offense."

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. I think the problem is that pundits want to make absolute statement to make themselves sound knowledgeable. Where I think Tech fans get onto them is that we never hear this about other teams. "Well the problem with South Carolina's defense is that all they ever practice against is a run and gun offense and that puts them at a real disadvantage when they come up against a power I offense."
And this here is the reason so many coaches are afraid to do anything different than the herd. Once you step out of line and try something unconventional, the media will focus on that and constantly make it the center of every discussion. When you then mess up, as everyone is bound to at some point, they'll do whatever mental gymnastics they need to tie it back into how different you are. This media scrutiny is probably the main reason you see so many coaches punt on 4th & 1 even though the statistics support going for it more often...you fail to convert one time and then it becomes an issue. And this is one reason I love our coach...he doesn't really care what the analysts are going to criticize. He'll go for it on 4th & 15 and dare you to stop it.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
33jacket is correct. We DO practice exclusively against our own triple-option-based offense in the spring and in the beginning of fall practices.

In fact, we only began running a scout team last Monday, once fall camp was over and the players had moved out of the hotel. When we start game prep is when the "other offenses" begin.

I don't necessarily think it's something to get too upset about but you guys who keep adamantly stating that we don't practice against our offense have quite obviously never attended a practice.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
@33jacket thanks for explaining through that. I think the reason most of us still rail against the 'they only play against the option' narrative is that the eggsperts who spout it don't provide context for what they're saying.

It's become yet another lazy narrative along with all the others. They just throw it out there and don't add that we play against a scout team to give us a look at our opponents' stuff. They don't really even break down what we're actually doing on the field effective or ineffective. Every completed pass and it's, "uh, they can't defend the pass 'cause option, blah, blah, blah ..."

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
And this here is the reason so many coaches are afraid to do anything different than the herd. Once you step out of line and try something unconventional, the media will focus on that and constantly make it the center of every discussion. When you then mess up, as everyone is bound to at some point, they'll do whatever mental gymnastics they need to tie it back into how different you are. This media scrutiny is probably the main reason you see so many coaches punt on 4th & 1 even though the statistics support going for it more often...you fail to convert one time and then it becomes an issue. And this is one reason I love our coach...he doesn't really care what the analysts are going to criticize. He'll go for it on 4th & 15 and dare you to stop it.

Agree and the higher level you go the more this is true. The NFL will not "experiment" very much. CPJ knows what he knows and I admire that he will do his thing no matter what. That applies beyond Xs and Os to how he runs his football program. Good for him.

prifle2

Jolly Good Fellow
Well it is a well known fact that Clemson's defense was so soft last year because they never got to practice against any smash mouth football teams.. No to mention, there is no way bud foster and VT defense could ever stop the 30 because they haven't gone against a real offense in 3 years.