ESPN calls GT 'weak'

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
SMDH
1) yes it's weak because 3 of 4 are cupcakes
2) if the 4th were Clemson, they would not have called it weak w/o noting nat champ on ooc sched
3) so, no caveat reflects thinking of gt more as weak than as extenuating

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
What's more disturbing to me is that the author is using the weak OOC schedule as a positive attribute for Tennessee ... Because of this "weak" OOC schedule, Butch Jone's squad may surprise some people. OK, non-sequitur much? I mean, I get it that having a weaker schedule makes you more likely to have a better record, but that's why polls should take those things into consideration when ranking teams at the end and why we also need an 8 team playoff with all conference champions included. That way a weaker schedule doesn't reward you.

Deleted member 2897

Just saw this in an ESPN article about the state of the SEC after spring practice, particularly regarding Tennessee-------- "Without expectations and with a weak nonconference schedule (Georgia Tech, Indiana State, Southern Miss and UMass), Butch Jones’ squad might be primed to surprise some people."

I hope CPJ and the boys see ESPN is referring to them as 'weak'.

All SEC non-conference schedules are weak. They all play cupcakes. With only a few exceptions. I wouldn't read too much into this. Other than to note that the real journalism travesty is that you'd consider Tennessee a surprise if they beat a bunch of cupcakes. Honestly what does a win over Indiana State, Southern Miss, or UMass do for you? Its a big reason the SEC has been so poorly rated as a football conference recently. Its Alabama, a couple other teams, and then garbage pails full of trash.

Yjacket82

Georgia Tech Fan
All SEC non-conference schedules are weak. They all play cupcakes. With only a few exceptions. I wouldn't read too much into this. Other than to note that the real journalism travesty is that you'd consider Tennessee a surprise if they beat a bunch of cupcakes. Honestly what does a win over Indiana State, Southern Miss, or UMass do for you? Its a big reason the SEC has been so poorly rated as a football conference recently. Its Alabama, a couple other teams, and then garbage pails full of trash.

Like the mighty Alabama that plays FSU in its 1st game, then quietly plays Colorado State, Fresno State, and Mercer to have a "strong" OOC schedule.

Deleted member 2897

Like the mighty Alabama that plays FSU in its 1st game, then quietly plays Colorado State, Fresno State, and Mercer to have a "strong" OOC schedule.

Exactly.

LSU OOC plays BYU, Chattanooga, Syracuse, and Troy.
Auburn plays Georgia Southern, Clemson, Mercer, and LA Monroe.
You could go on for days like this.

About the closest you can get to a reasonable OOC schedule is Florida, who plays Michigan, Northern Colorado, UAB, and Florida State.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
You guys are being a bit over sensitive.

It will take many years of continued success for the national market to view GT as a definite loss for other household name teams. Might as well move on to being offended over things that actually matter.
Agreed, I don't like it, but if Tech can constantly post 9-3 or 10-2 records that perceptition will change big time.