ESPN calls GT 'weak'

techman

Georgia Tech Fan
Just saw this in an ESPN article about the state of the SEC after spring practice, particularly regarding Tennessee-------- "Without expectations and with a weak nonconference schedule (Georgia Tech, Indiana State, Southern Miss and UMass), Butch Jones’ squad might be primed to surprise some people."

I hope CPJ and the boys see ESPN is referring to them as 'weak'.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
To be fair, I think that nonconference schedule is weak. We are their only strong opponent. Indiana state won 4 games in the FCS last year. Umass won 2 games, and southern miss managed 7 wins with most coming against inferior opponents (only good win for them was their upset vs kentucky).

So I would say those 3 are what makes their nonconference schedule weak. If it wasn't for their game vs us this would be a Baylor type nonconference schedule in terms of strength.

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow
I'll put on my Trump impersonation and call this post "Fake News". You know good and well that they are referring to the entire non-conference schedule and not a particular team.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, the statement was made about the non-conference schedule.

But I think we should take offense for the betterment of the football program and use it as bulletin board material. So here's a hypothetical.
  • What if Tennessee replaced GT with say Auburn (S-E-C and 8-5 last year)?
  • Or, what if they replaced GT with Tennessee :confused: (S-E-C and 9-4 last year AND almost beat Vanderbilt, an S-E-C team)?
Would ESPN still label their non-conference weak?

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
ESPN also had us 2nd in the coastal in their post spring power ranking so I think they're ok with us right now

Obviously they have Miami winning it cause this is their year blah blah blah

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Bulletin board material is overrated, imo. If our guys aren't self motivated then we have a Yuuuuuuuge problem. Fortunately, I highly doubt that's the case. I keep hearing guys say how they were disappointed last year even though we finished strong.

northgajacket

Banned
Just saw this in an ESPN article about the state of the SEC after spring practice, particularly regarding Tennessee-------- "Without expectations and with a weak nonconference schedule (Georgia Tech, Indiana State, Southern Miss and UMass), Butch Jones’ squad might be primed to surprise some people."

I hope CPJ and the boys see ESPN is referring to them as 'weak'.

To be fair it is weak. Outside of GT you have an FCS team, an FCS team masquerading as a FBS team and a team that hasn't been relevant since the Falcons drafted their qb in 1991 ( I wonder how he turned out in the pros?)

techman

Georgia Tech Fan
How can you say they are NOT calling GT weak along with the others? We are included in the 'weak' out of conference game schedule and they are not saying 'except for GT' .

northgajacket

Banned
How can you say they are NOT calling GT weak along with the others? We are included in the 'weak' out of conference game schedule and they are not saying 'except for GT' .

75% is weak, therefore the OOC Schedule is pretty week. In all honesty it is probably lazy writing, I mean it is ESPN after all.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

You've got a point. I don't imagine them saying about an ACC team:
"Without expectations and with a weak nonconference schedule (Alabama, Indiana State, Southern Miss and UMass), Butch Jones’ squad might be primed to surprise some people."
While I think they focused on the other three, they definitely threw shade at GT.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
You guys are being a bit over sensitive.

It will take many years of continued success for the national market to view GT as a definite loss for other household name teams. Might as well move on to being offended over things that actually matter.

northgajacket

Banned
You guys are being a bit over sensitive.

It will take many years of continued success for the national market to view GT as a definite loss for other household name teams. Might as well move on to being offended over things that actually matter.

I agree way too sensitive, beside ESPN is always going to market the bigger names over the likes of GT, besides it is ESPN, being offended by their writers is like being offended when the dumb kid in your class calls you an idiot, just brush it off.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Because overall it is a true statement. Whoever wrote the article isn't going to say it's a weak out of conference schedule and leave out a team when naming the schools. If 75 percent of the teams are weak, then he's being honest in saying it's a weak out of conference schedule.