ESPN article,"20 QB Battles this Spring"

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
This is wishful thinking. TM doesn't have the passing mechanics( footwork and arm motion)to be ACC QB.

He doesn’t have to. Neither did Nesbitt. We are best when we throw it less. When the base offense is humming, then you’ll get a couple/few chances per game to hit a wide open guy. He can do that.

Also, our OL was patchwork much of the year. Should be better this season. That will make a huge difference for whoever plays QB.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Actually, if you look at this, you'll never see better mechanics:

TM got the time to set his feet and delivered a perfect strike on a long throw. He can throw, he has the arm. His problems emerge when he's put under a heavy rush - he tends to fling it instead of setting up - or on wet fields - he ain't no Todd Blackledge when it comes to his hands and the ball can slip. (Btw, next time you see him watch Blackledge's hands; they're absolutely enormous.) This kind of thing can be overcome with experience - it was his first year starting - and practice.

Ah, I hear you say, will he come through? That's what they have spring practice for and he had better. There are a lot of talented people at that position and they'd all like his job. We'll get an answer here soon enough. One thing: with a more aggressive D, TM will get plenty of chances to show what he can do under pressure. The coaches will be watching that, I bet.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Actually, if you look at this, you'll never see better mechanics:

TM got the time to set his feet and delivered a perfect strike on a long throw. He can throw, he has the arm. His problems emerge when he's put under a heavy rush - he tends to fling it instead of setting up - or on wet fields - he ain't no Todd Blackledge when it comes to his hands and the ball can slip. (Btw, next time you see him watch Blackledge's hands; they're absolutely enormous.) This kind of thing can be overcome with experience - it was his first year starting - and practice.

Ah, I hear you say, will he come through? That's what they have spring practice for and he had better. There are a lot of talented people at that position and they'd all like his job. We'll get an answer here soon enough. One thing: with a more aggressive D, TM will get plenty of chances to show what he can do under pressure. The coaches will be watching that, I bet.

Whoa, whoa, whoa...

There's way too much logic and reason in this post.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Our offense hums when (1) we are executing and (2) when we (a) are playing equal or lesser talent or (b) are playing superior talent, but keeping them honest in their defensive schemes. When a superior defense crowds the LOS, we must pass. To keep that defense from crowding the LOS, we must have a credible passing game. And, just like it's tough on a backup QB in mop up time to get the feel for the game, it's also tough to ask a running QB to get the feel for passing plays and become Peyton Manning when that superior defense crowds the LOS.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You really need a good passing attack to win at the highest level. You can't always rely on the run.
Welcome to the swarm.
I agree with you about passing being needed to compete at highest level.
You also need some very mature and talented athletes. Without an abundace of athletes we are faced with the decesion of being conservative and making no mistakes to beat the lessor teams and not be slaughtered by the better teams = 7 win seasons. I would prefer higher risk play calling (passing). Yes we would have more 5 and 6 win seasons but i believe we would get better and have more 10 win seasons.
Aiming at 7 -8 and maybe 9 is what most folks on swarm are content. If deddrick mills was never at gt, i think this would be obvious

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
To me, this is what happened. One time Hurts gets slammed very similarly to when Kelly Bryant got the concussion against Syracuse. I honestly think at halftime they finally had a chance to chat with him and realized he wasn't at full strength. I don't think this was some amazing case study in coaching strategy and guts.

Hurts was not hurt.

Tua is a freak playmaker (ala' college version Manziel) and fans, insiders, and coaches were calling for him to replace Hurts much earlier in the season. Hurts is a dominant rusher, who is really good at rolling right and throwing it out-of-bounds, but his weaknesses were exposed and exploited as soon as they started playing legitimate competition. Tua is Kenny "the Snake" Stabler reborn, and that's what Bama needed when UGA sold out to stop Hurts' predictable off-right-tackle runs. None of the Bama faithful were surprised by the change, and most welcomed it.

Fortuitously for Bama, by not competing in the SEC championship game, they had over a full month to prepare for the CFP. During that time, the Freshman kicked *** and the coaching staff finally convinced Saban that they were not only ready, but had earned their shot. Incidentally, Bama had 5+ true freshman playing in the 2nd half.

Despite his incredible W-L record, Tua > Hurts, and that's why he got the start when the game was on the line. Saban has been both heralded for having the guts to start Tua and criticized for not playing him sooner. Perhaps he should simply be acknowledged for making a good, timely decision that put his team in a position to win. If we could all be so rational...

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Hurts was not hurt.

Tua is a freak playmaker (ala' college version Manziel) and fans, insiders, and coaches were calling for him to replace Hurts much earlier in the season. Hurts is a dominant rusher, who is really good at rolling right and throwing it out-of-bounds, but his weaknesses were exposed and exploited as soon as they started playing legitimate competition. Tua is Kenny "the Snake" Stabler reborn, and that's what Bama needed when UGA sold out to stop Hurts' predictable off-right-tackle runs. None of the Bama faithful were surprised by the change, and most welcomed it.

Fortuitously for Bama, by not competing in the SEC championship game, they had over a full month to prepare for the CFP. During that time, the Freshman kicked *** and the coaching staff finally convinced Saban that they were not only ready, but had earned their shot. Incidentally, Bama had 5+ true freshman playing in the 2nd half.

Despite his incredible W-L record, Tua > Hurts, and that's why he got the start when the game was on the line. Saban has been both heralded for having the guts to start Tua and criticized for not playing him sooner. Perhaps he should simply be acknowledged for making a good, timely decision that put his team in a position to win. If we could all be so rational...
Jalen Hurt's would do well in Paul Johnson's offense;)

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Jalen Hurt's would do well in Paul Johnson's offense;)
After the Bama win with their newest QB, I thought how great it would be if Jalen would transfer to Tech! That QB could really run the TO. Then I realized johnson was still the coach. You might remember, a few years back he statedthat it takes 2 years for his QB to grasp this offense. So what are fans supposed to expect the first 2 years?

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
Does anyone think that Saban's benching of his 1st string QB during the NC game will inspire CPJ to sub more this year when our starting QB falters?

Entirely depends on the backup QB. It's a very different decision regarding Tua Tsbdjfkfifnfn versus, say, Lucas Johnson.

That's no knock on Johnson. Tua is a very special and unique QB. I was also recently told he speaks in tongues while on the field. He's obviously the second coming of Tebow Christ.