ESPN article,"20 QB Battles this Spring"

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Espn is in business of getting viewers.

Lots of interest in U of ala who may hire ex ole miss head coach as analyst and who always makes play offs

And way off the screen of interest to viewers is there is not much interest in g t who is hiring a ga from app state to be dl coach.

Plus we only lst back up play a few downs.

End of march spring game is when we few gt fans will discuss the gt qb controversy. No one else will even know.

I m good w new dl coach and the results for spring game.

Go Jackets

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Espn is in business of getting viewers.

Lots of interest in U of ala who may hire ex ole miss head coach as analyst and who always makes play offs

And way off the screen of interest to viewers is there is not much interest in g t who is hiring a ga from app state to be dl coach.

s
I thought we're after Riase for DL coach.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Nice article that touches upon QB battles at major programs. I wonder why we were not included...
I think Tennessee will have a bigger QB competition going into 2018 than Georgia Tech will. Paul Johnson tends to stand by his quarterbacks while Tennessee's new head coach may not be sold on the quarterbacks Butch Jones left him and might give the job to incoming freshman J.T. Shrout by sometime in the 2018 season.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
Nice article that touches upon QB battles at major programs. I wonder why we were not included...

Because Johnson decided last spring that Marshall was our guy (and only gave lip service in public to the press that it was Jordan's job to lose = there is no QB competition at Georgia Tech ) until he graduates or transfers to Athens to be with his buds and play his natural position at RB.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Because Johnson decided last spring that Marshall was our guy (and only gave lip service in public to the press that it was Jordan's job to lose = there is no QB competition at Georgia Tech ) until he graduates or transfers to Athens to be with his buds and play his natural position at RB.
18d.jpg_large

GTFLETCH

Banned
If true we may only win 6 or 7 games this year... We need a QB who can complete 50 to 55% of his passes...not 37%... TQM needs to play AB.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
If true we may only win 6 or 7 games this year... We need a QB who can complete 50 to 55% of his passes...not 37%... TQM needs to play AB.

I dont like these kinds of fan posts. (Not attacking you in general) I hope there is a real competition, then let the chips fall where they may. Kids can improve a lot from one year to the next. We may be singing his praise next year. Or he could be a great AB. Or he could just be a bust. I agree if his skill set stays the same as last year then I dont want him at QB either. But I would be against blindly moving him without a fair competition.

I dont like these kinds of fan posts. (Not attacking you in general) I hope there is a real competition, then let the chips fall where they may. Kids can improve a lot from one year to the next. We may be singing his praise next year. Or he could be a great AB. Or he could just be a bust. I agree if his skill set stays the same as last year then I dont want him at QB either. But I would be against blindly moving him without a fair competition.
This is wishful thinking. TM doesn't have the passing mechanics( footwork and arm motion)to be ACC QB.

Deleted member 2897

Well, you have to start by remembering that Georgia Tech is the most consistently disrespected, overlooked, underrated program in the entire country. TaQuon Marshall lead the entire ACC Conference in rushing. The ACC Conference is consistently the top or one of the top football conferences in the country. And he didn't even get First Team in All Conference voting. Or Second Team. Or Third Team. Or Honorable Mention.

Imagine leading a major conference in any major category (rushing, receiving, touchdowns, etc.) and not getting any attention at FOUR levels of awards. To make matters worse, on each team (1st, 2nd, 3rd, HM) they have all-purpose slots available for folks who may not fit a traditional position.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
We aren't included because we are once again flying under everyone's radar. Also, 'Quon had a great game against Tennessee and that was the last that a lot of national viewers saw of him. Most of our other games were nooners that didn't get much attention. For those who don't follow us closely, he's probably the presumed starter and they don't even know anything about Lucas.

I expect an open competition, though.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
[QUOTE="JacketFromUGA, post: 393452, member:
As engineerds we need to acknowledge that in last few games tq had almost as many int as completions . The 37 % average included the good first half and the terrible last half of season. While t his was happening the run game also dried up.

While 1bear had no basis for doom and gloom blame of coach, i think he will come around in spring. Rather than running off posters we disagree with a simple response like " while coach did say he was confident in all the back up qb, very few coaches change qb during the season, lets wait to spring ..." would be more effective.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone think that Saban's benching of his 1st string QB during the NC game will inspire CPJ to sub more this year when our starting QB falters?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone think that Saban's benching of his 1st string QB during the NC game will inspire CPJ to sub more this year when our starting QB falters?

I don't think what Saban did in one game is going to have much impact on any NCAA coaches decisions. Hurts also took some big hits in the first half, so he might not have even been at full strength at the end of the first half. Some of Saban's decision could have been based on Hurt's health status and not solely some genius move to put in a guy who hadn't played any meaningful game time in the championship game.

Fans on forums see the backups during warmups and during trash time against the other teams backups. Fans of forums don't see practice. Fans on forums don't have discussions with the backup players to know how much of the game plan(O or D) they are comfortable with or even understand. Fans on forums don't know exact injury status, like maybe one of the backup QBs has a couple of jammed fingers on his throwing hand. Fans on forums make personnel decisions based on extremely limited knowledge, yet believe they know everything there is to know about the situation. Coaches make personnel decisions based on much more knowledge, and I just about guarantee that they would like to have more knowledge even after they make decisions. All of the people saying that CPJ "decided" that Marshall was the starter and won't change no matter what happens, are just talking trash with about as much actual information to back it up as the moon landing deniers.

Deleted member 2897

I don't think what Saban did in one game is going to have much impact on any NCAA coaches decisions. Hurts also took some big hits in the first half, so he might not have even been at full strength at the end of the first half. Some of Saban's decision could have been based on Hurt's health status and not solely some genius move to put in a guy who hadn't played any meaningful game time in the championship game.

To me, this is what happened. One time Hurts gets slammed very similarly to when Kelly Bryant got the concussion against Syracuse. I honestly think at halftime they finally had a chance to chat with him and realized he wasn't at full strength. I don't think this was some amazing case study in coaching strategy and guts.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Coach is coach and his definition of falter is his and his alone.
I trust him.

IMO, in our offense if we wait ( never play the backup w 1 s in practice) to see falter and then put in back up in a really bad or critical time , it is asking too much.

I think the year just snow balled down hill on coach.
After fast start defense allowed late scores , defenses tightened up on run, put in sham for will Bryan to try passing but that gaveup quickness in ol.
Changing to qb that never played was no longer an option. Then to got worse. He was trapped by the situation of the last half of Duke game w no good options.

I eXpect in spring that Qb will be judged on more than making reads.