ESPN: ACC to meet about changing men's hoops narrative

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think as it progresses it could die a little as local businesses aren’t going to see much or any ROI.

There was an instance in CBB this season where a dealership provided a vehicle for a player, the player wrecked the vehicle and asked for a replacement. The dealership declined and the kid immediately entered the portal. He then rescinded, and entered again later.

Eventually it’s just going to be boosters with envelopes again. Not sure if there are tax advantages provided through NIL but IMO the only money changing hands should go through the schools and they provide an increased flat stipend for the players from the school. You could then possibly include royalties from the NCAA that would be some sort of profit sharing from tournament titles and NCAA appearances.

Of course I have no idea if any of that is actually feasible. I certainly don’t think you’re putting an end to the bag man.
All NIL has done is put a face on the bag man! These guys aren't doing **** for this NIL money.

Granted it's football where bigger bucks fly around, but did you see the requirements of Jaden Rashada's $13M NIL deal before it was terminated?

That **** was ridiculous and he was a 4 star. Details below:

The deal called for a $500,000 initial payment, with increasing monthly payments each year. Rashada had to reside in Gainesville, Fla., make branded Twitter and Instagram posts once a month, participate in up to eight fan engagement events per year and autograph up to 15 pieces of merchandise per year

slugboy

Staff member
All NIL has done is put a face on the bag man! These guys aren't doing **** for this NIL money.

Granted it's football where bigger bucks fly around, but did you see the requirements of Jaden Rashada's $13M NIL deal before it was terminated?

That **** was ridiculous and he was a 4 star. Details below:

The deal called for a $500,000 initial payment, with increasing monthly payments each year. Rashada had to reside in Gainesville, Fla., make branded Twitter and Instagram posts once a month, participate in up to eight fan engagement events per year and autograph up to 15 pieces of merchandise per year
The NCAA was in this position after the Bannon case, and did nothing. That led to the Alston (“NIL”) case that their own lawyers warned them about.
Now after the Alston case, their solution is to…do nothing?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Right, but if the universities get together and decide on fixing “salaries” or setting up so sort of limitations, they’re going to get sued by everybody and their brother because there’s no antitrust exemption and no collective bargaining agreement.

There is no putting this genie back in the bottle. The only thing that will slow it down is revoking the 1-time immediate eligibility rule. No NIL consortium is going to pay a kid $500k to RS. No kid is going to transfer to sit a year just for modest NIL money.

This is going to hurt basketball worse than football. I’m pretty sure baseball, tennis, and the Olympic sports didn’t have the “have to sit out a year after transfer rule” prior to it being applied to Basketball and Football.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That's collusion. Law suits left and right after that.
That’s what the Bannon and Alston verdicts actually said—that the NCAA was violating anti-trust law.

Not many lawsuits, for what it’s worth. Two big ones lately, though
The NCAA was faulted for setting the compensation of SAs at zero. That is not what I proposed, or favor. The NIL should be paid for actually use of the name, image or likeness of a player, and not tied to a specific school or its teams. The way it is now players are paid to play hoops at Duke or UNC by boosters. That was being done before NIL, but it had a sleezy, clandestine image. Most people saw it as cheating to some degree (unless you were team benefitting), and penalties could accrue if you were caught. I am not washing the NCAAs hands here. They deserved to lose both cases because they refused to see the issue in the eyes of the players who simply wanted some of the action going to ESPN and all the coaches.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Not surprisin, but Dean and Coach K are no longer coaching.
ACC teams are not getting the same opportunities when beating Duke or UNC these days.
Clemson beat Duke this year and was 14-6 in ACC games
Clemson being left out of the NCAA at 23-11 (14-6) is criminal. Especially when they put NC State in with the same overall record and two less conference wins.

We would have lost our minds if we’d been left out with that record.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Based on this year’s tournament the Power conferences should get fewer bids and the non power conferences should get more bids. Seems the ACC bids were about right.
Easy to say when you leave out likely the third best team in the conference.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Clemson being left out of the NCAA at 23-11 (14-6) is criminal. Especially when they put NC State in with the same overall record and two less conference wins.

Five quad 3 and 4 losses compared to two

SOS of 132 compared to 60.

NC State of course doesn’t make the argument easy, losing to Clemson twice.

UAB should have been in over both of them

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Five quad 3 and 4 losses compared to two

SOS of 132 compared to 60.

NC State of course doesn’t make the argument easy, losing to Clemson twice.

UAB should have been in over both of them
Clemson wasn’t in because they played a very soft schedule

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
SEC does that all the time in football and claims the conference schedule is so hard.
Clemson was14-6 in conference even with a weak out of conference,they sh have been in the tournament
Look more closely at Clemson's ACC schedule. They clearly got the benefit from playing the crap teams in the unbalanced schedule. They had 4 solid ACC wins. The rest were over the bad ACC teams.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA was faulted for setting the compensation of SAs at zero. That is not what I proposed, or favor. The NIL should be paid for actually use of the name, image or likeness of a player, and not tied to a specific school or its teams. The way it is now players are paid to play hoops at Duke or UNC by boosters. That was being done before NIL, but it had a sleezy, clandestine image. Most people saw it as cheating to some degree (unless you were team benefitting), and penalties could accrue if you were caught. I am not washing the NCAAs hands here. They deserved to lose both cases because they refused to see the issue in the eyes of the players who simply wanted some of the action going to ESPN and all the coaches.
I 100% agree with everything. There's no way to police NIL unless you preclude boosters from participating, and we both know the NCAA isn't going there and the Courts would probably strike it down anyway. There's no way to prevent NIL from being used as a pay-to-play device. President Cabrera and J Batt both need to put the 2009 ACC Championship trophy back out in the display case. Let the NCAA try to stop us.

Last edited:

GetYourBuzzOn

Georgia Tech Fan

It has been suspected that the selection committee has been relying on advanced stat metrics / ratings (KenPom, Bart Torvik) more and more the past few years for both the selection of teams in the tournament and the seeding. Which is great in my opinion because every single advanced ranking system adjusts for strength of schedule.

Every ranking I've seen has had NCST ~10 spots higher than Clemson, so it makes sense that they get in over Clemson. However I agree with the previous poster that UAB should have gotten in before either.