Enough is enough...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I know OP said less moderation, but what about banning anyone who uses any derivation of CPJ for taking threads off topic. Seriously, I'm sure there's exceptions, but when is it ever relevant to bring him up and it simply perpetuates the divisions that had developed during his tenure.

Because that doesn't really fix the problem. There are plenty of instances where constructive comparison is insightful and doesn't denigrate either CPJ or CGC. The issue is when the comparison isn't constructive and the purpose of the comparison is to take shots at the former or current regime. For better or worse, CPJ is part of GT history and we should be able to discuss him without it devolving into a free for all.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
If we just moved forward instead of looking back and at: what would CPJ have done, what were CPJ's thoughts in this podunk radio interview, what did CPJ leave us with, etc... then it'd be a better place. We look back and reflect on coaches and compare coaches all the time but doing so right after a coaching change is pointless. There's not enough data to waste your thoughts.

Hopefully we have a better year next year. I certainly ***** a lot too but that's mostly on gameday as a bad coping mechanism for us sucking. **** every team i pull for in every sport sucks right now.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Because that doesn't really fix the problem. There are plenty of instances where constructive comparison is insightful and doesn't denigrate either CPJ or CGC. The issue is when the comparison isn't constructive and the purpose of the comparison is to take shots at the former or current regime. For better or worse, CPJ is part of GT history and we should be able to discuss him without it devolving into a free for all.
I dunno, comparing your present coach/gf/company to your previous one seems like a recipe for being unhappy. That's just me, though, and isn't to mean that you simply forget the past either. Just no sense treating it as if it were the present.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
When it stops being fun, I just walk away. Not from GT Football; I will never walk away from that. Thanks to those that provide useful content on this board. The rest is just noise. Chirping from the cheap seats.

Id go further and say about 99% of our talks are noise. Its fans being fans. The guys who played and have real info, don't post it for the most part due to loyalties (understandable). This board was a place to actually talk football for the less informed, like me. I've watched enough football in my life to recognize some of what I see. I don't articulate it well because I don't know the language to the extent others do. The problem for me is that I cant avoid giving the attitude back and that gets me in trouble. This isn't a film room where everyone is familiar with the lingo, personnel assignments/ info or administrative talk but it doesn't mean that I cant see the difference between man and zone.

The last argument I got into I got warned after "someone" complained on me. I knew I would get in trouble but in correcting me the moderator told me that he didn't monitor the others post (those who I was arguing with) but just read mine after the complaint and thought it was to much. Now don't get me wrong. I was pissed and got out of line with my offending post, but how do you understand context if you don't review the entire argument ? How do you know where responsibility lies ? I understand that in football the one who throws the second punch usually gets the penalty but don't we have the ability to review an entire argument and see who really threw the first punch ?

It can become a free for all when those in charge of reprimands cant get an understanding of the entire picture. Allowing those who seem to need to correct others by condescension, to go untouched is infuriating and one sided and ADDS to the issue in my view. Either we fight or we "investigate" the complaints and reprimand the correct parties (plural). OR we outright ban the coach loyalty gangs (meaning the ones who jump people in defense of a certain coach or prod others by promoting a certain coach).

I'm pro Tech I don't care who the coach is. If I ask a question i'm not after the coach and I don't think most of us are.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
So, these back-to-back Proverbs seem to contradict one another:
[FLOAT_RIGHT]Prov 26
4 Answer not a fool according to his folly,
lest you be like him yourself.
5 Answer a fool according to his folly,
lest he be wise in his own eyes
[/FLOAT_RIGHT]
lest he be wise in his own eyes.

But, that's the point - Wisdom is knowing when to apply each of them. There are times when you shouldn't keep quiet and should speak up to answer the fool. And, there are other times when you are the fool who should keep quiet. And, that's part of the wisdom that this board needs, but that's also the part of wisdom that is most difficult. I haven't gotten there myself, but I hope I'm closer than I used to be.
This is a wonderful post. I have never heard this before. Thank you.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Banning is never the answer because all points are valid (outside of vulgarities). It’s not hard to fly by a comment you don’t like and simply not respond. I love reading different viewpoints and it teaches me a lot. And yes, I agree there is no need to bring in CPJ that often. But, honestly, there are folks who take offense to comments that aren’t meant to offend.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
And just wait until LSU wins on Saturday. The Georgia boards will be way worse than this one has ever been and they have won double digit games.
I don’t know why everyone keeps assuming this. LSU has more to lose. No one thought auburn would beat Alabama either.

LSU turns the ball over a couple times and Georgia could just run it down their throat. They will also have a home crowd potentially.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know why everyone keeps assuming this. LSU has more to lose. No one thought auburn would beat Alabama either.

LSU turns the ball over a couple times and Georgia could just run it down their throat. They will also have a home crowd potentially.

I have learned after many years; no one has a home crowd over lsu on a neutral field.

If uga wins, it will be because lsu stunk it up or uga d balled hell out. It wont be due to their O thats for sure.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
In general, I agree with the original post. Like some others, I was always a Paul supporter. I'm an old (very) OL and I went to the games mainly to watch the blocking. (I'm not exaggerating.) And to groan when we lost and cheer when we won.

But … I do tend to rise to the bait more then I should. I like arguments and it plays me false on this. When I can do something with stats I'm happiest. So I'll lay off the baiters (you know who you are) and concentrate on the football more.

Not that that'll help, of course. If we start to win more, then we'll see less friction. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that'll have to wait for 2021. Next year the schedule is so bad that I fear we are doomed to another season of 3 - 4 wins, all through no fault of the present staff. I've already decided to be more patient going forward and hope against hope for better results.

Now what we have to do is get the money flowing to the program, get our infrastructure up to snuff, and wait to see how well Geoff exploits it. That'll all be up to him.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
As far as the modding goes, I actually liked what they were doing for a while when they would move the argumentative posts to some kind of catch all thread for people who really like to argue that stuff. (Which...I admit, sometimes I get involved. lol) But I suspect that was maybe more work than just nuking posts.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Literally me
duty_calls.png

What do you want me to do? LEAVE? Then they'll keep being wrong!

It's hard for me to step away from the keyboard when people say things that are objectively false. I hate ignoring people, but it isn't worth my effort to research facts/stats/quotes just for someone to ignore the data in front of them. The large majority of posters on here are smart, passionate, reasonable fans that provide me with an incredible amount of entertainment. Ignoring the few people that get under my skin makes things great.

Lonesome_Truth

Georgia Tech Fan
Thanks for the well articulated and sound assessment. Unfortunately, what you've described is the bane of all internet forums. I discovered this nearly 10 years back, finding that they were a favorite haunt of those who simply used them for self esteem building. Avoided them since.
I just joined this one, but only to contribute a vote in a poll about the new coach; and now that I know this forum is little different from those I've known, perhaps best that I not express my opinion on the coaching matter.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
forensic, appreciate your post. I am mature enough to realize those that are the most opinionated will be the ones with the most posts and get under your skin the most.

The posts I enjoy the most are the ones that have stats or data to back up opinions. And there are many on this board that do that well.

As the saying goes "Opinions are like A@@holes, we all have one and the all stink".

There is a diverse group posting on this board and there will be many different views and opinions. As it should be. I refuse to let opposing opinions or obnoxious posters change how I participate on this board.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
The issue is when the comparison isn't constructive and the purpose of the comparison is to take shots at the former or current regime. For better or worse, CPJ is part of GT history and we should be able to discuss him without it devolving into a free for all.

Disagree. Fonts are taking shots at EACH OTHER, not regimes. CPJ and CGC are just proxies. It's all about ego, being right, built up resentment from prior argumemts, wanting so badly to say "I told you so" or "look at me".

There are also posts from folks that are some combo of sheer ignorance, unrealistic expectations, and venting. Some folks jump their shiit because they are sick and tired. Others reply rationally.

But probably because of a mix of hackles up from the attack, being pissed at current results, and wantin to be right, these fonts become entrenched and become new participants in the cycle of butt hurt.

Moral of the story: Life is too short. Treat others well. Before you reply ask if it's how you would like to be replied to, or does it respect the other person.

Really, it's not hard to get your opinion out there and just say hey, I said my piece.

I think 'ignore' tantamount to walking away from someone when you need to cool off. Have ignored fonts who I later enjoyed positive interactions with. IMO ignore sounds extreme but is actually healthy.

Just my opinions, and you had better agree!

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I know OP said less moderation, but what about banning anyone who uses any derivation of CPJ for taking threads off topic. Seriously, I'm sure there's exceptions, but when is it ever relevant to bring him up and it simply perpetuates the divisions that had developed during his tenure.

A 1-day temp-ban warning might be OK but too much banning and we become The Hive, part 2.