Edge Renovation

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Well obviously. But does that mean the ad couldn't have spent his time fund raising for the AT fund in general instead of this?
He does. Even get a email? Ever see an ad at a sporting event? Ever gone to ramblinwreck.com?
Donate donate donate is everywhere. But, just like at church, people tend to give more for a specific project than to a "general fund".
Did you donate to AI2020?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
It says in the AJC article that some of the North stands will be removed.

( Sent from AJC News )
A portion... The upper north appears to maybe lose a little based on the image, not a lot. The whole thing is not coming down... Not even a quarter of it. In fact, based off the image I'm not sure too much of it would. Some of the north stands loss may actually be in the lower level.

Screenshot_20220415-132949__01.jpg

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
As I said "some". And as others have pointed out, this is not final as the light tower would block some of that possible "premium seating". All that is concrete about this project is A) we have the money and B) we have BoR approval. With a completion time of 2025, I would imagine end of 2022 season is soonest destruction would start with construction starting March/April 2023. But who knows.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I'd be interested in seeing some quantifiable data before and after this renovation regarding recruiting improvement.

I also recall Miami having some of the worst facilities until and possibly including the past few years, yet that didn't really put much of a dent in their recruiting.

Tech will never recruit to the level that CGC told us, as we've discussed many other times. We would be wise to invest this money into areas that can actually help, instead of nice to have things.

Not saying that the current student athletics center is perfect or even adequate, but we have much bigger problems to solve at the moment than this and it feels like we are giving our car a candy apple paint job when we are firing on half the cylinders and need an engine overhaul instead.

This is a very ignorant post to say the least.

The Edge Center is the hub of GT athletics not just football. Athletes spend more time here than any other place on campus since this is where academic advisors, study hall, & dining hall is located. The recruiting comment is obtuse as hell i don’t have the energy to argue stuff that has already happened.

Would you make these comments if GT decided to build a new college of Engineering or CS?

Last edited:

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
This is a very ignorant post to say the least.

The Edge Center is the hub of GT athletics not just football. Athletes spend more time here than any other place on campus since this is where academic advisors, study hall, & dining hall is located. The recruiting comment is obtuse as hell i don’t have the energy to argue stuff that has already happened.

Would you make these comments if GT decided to build a new college of Engineering or CS?
Ignorant? Please enlightenment me. Also feel free to answers the other parts regarding Miami.

You would be a great politician. But deep down you know the answers to the question so instead you'll skirt by then just like you always do instead of manning up and facing facts.

Last edited:

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Ignorant? Please enlightenment me. Also feel free to answers the other parts regarding Miami.

You would be a great politician. But deep down you know the answers to the question so instead you'll skirt by then just like you always do instead of manning up and facing facts.

What needs to be answered about Miami? They haven’t won an ACC football yet. Maybe if they invested in their facilities sooner, along with having a Nevin Shapiro, they might have a conference title now

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Dog what are you even talking about? Why is Miami even relevant at all? The current Edge building is outdated by a couple of decades. It’s literally the soul of GT’s entire athletic department. If you had ever actually been in there you would know, but like many here you have no clue. Most high schools in the Atlanta area probably have nicer training rooms and equipment. The space is cramped, equipment is not only old but also sparse. The weight room doesn’t even have complete sets of dumbbells. The dumbbells are weighted in 15lb increments and you have to put a magnet on them if you want to dial a weight in that’s less than 15lbs heavier. Literally every commercial gym in the country has sets of dumbbells from 10-100 in 5lb increments, yet the Georgia Institute of Technology doesn’t. Not to mention that all 14 of our athletic teams use the same weight room, and have to schedule their workouts around each other. Only baseball and basketball have their own auxiliary weight rooms separate from the one in Edge. The study hall and tutoring rooms, as well as advisors’ offices are also very old. The interior of the building screams 1980s, which wouldn’t be a bad thing if it didn’t feel like it was going to fall apart at any second.

I literally don’t know how somebody can look at this incredible renovation and upgrade to all of GT athletics and think, “this sucks. We should’ve done something else.” WTFFFFF is wrong with this godforsaken fanbase. This board ain’t even fun to be on anymore. The money for this project has been raised for nearly a year, and there has been enough money promised for completion for about 2 years now, and it’s just now been approved by the BOR. Blame and be mad at the dwags and morons in the GA BOR if you want to be mad at something.

Y’all complain about recruiting in every sport, well here’s a huge step forward that will help in recruiting yet you’re taking a dump on it. We aren’t going to outbid anyone on NIL for players. Especially not when our facilities are dog s**t compared to the competition. Getting mad that we aren’t spending the money to buyout Collins or Pastner, or to buy players is stupid. This facility upgrade will help every coach in every sport recruit. Whether that’s CGC and CJP, or some other f**kers we don’t know yet. You say Miami’s facilities were bad, well their major renovations were completed in 2015. By the time the new Edge will be completed will probably be 2025, and a building that’s already outdated by decades will be another decade late to the party. But sure. Let’s just ignore it and hope it gets better, right? Let’s talk about how much CGC sucks some more, right? Because nothing positive can ever happen at GT while he’s here, right? Nobody can enjoy themselves as long as he’s here, right?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
A portion... The upper north appears to maybe lose a little based on the image, not a lot. The whole thing is not coming down... Not even a quarter of it. In fact, based off the image I'm not sure too much of it would. Some of the north stands loss may actually be in the lower level.

View attachment 12318
Nice rendering. Haven’t studied the blueprints but I would hope athletes and students can work out while looking at the field. I think that would be energizing for them.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I'd be interested in seeing some quantifiable data before and after this renovation regarding recruiting improvement.

I also recall Miami having some of the worst facilities until and possibly including the past few years, yet that didn't really put much of a dent in their recruiting.

Tech will never recruit to the level that CGC told us, as we've discussed many other times. We would be wise to invest this money into areas that can actually help, instead of nice to have things.

Not saying that the current student athletics center is perfect or even adequate, but we have much bigger problems to solve at the moment than this and it feels like we are giving our car a candy apple paint job when we are firing on half the cylinders and need an engine overhaul instead.
It may not boost it but it’s probably necessary to at least keep treading water. It’s up to the Hill/Admin to help us improve on most of the things that will improve our lot.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
What needs to be answered about Miami? They haven’t won an ACC football yet. Maybe if they invested in their facilities sooner, along with having a Nevin Shapiro, they might have a conference title now
The whole reason is to improve recruiting, bottom line.

Miami had some of the worst facilities and they still recruited to levels we likely will never see.

Just going off of you saying this renovation is important to recruiting. Recruiting, currently, is not the issue here because we will not recruit to that level anyways, hence it's money that could be better spent elsewhere. We also have much bigger issues to solve.

Answered for you.

But hey it will be a nice building, maybe a competent staff can make actual good use of it one day.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

Miami had some of the worst facilities and they still recruited to levels we likely will never see.

Just going off of you saying this renovation is important to recruiting. Recruiting, currently, is not the issue here because we will not recruit to that level anyways, hence it's money that could be better spent elsewhere. We also have much bigger issues to solve.

Answered for you.

But hey it will be a nice building, maybe a competent staff can make actual good use of it one day.
Miami also has the beach, nightlife, sets of twins hanging out all year long, a nation wide devoted fan base that gives the mutts a run for their money as being the most obnoxious. Need more? Heck id pick U of M over Tech if I was being recruited.
If your head is cut off you don't survive long. The Edge is our head and it is atrocious. To show a recruit that we care about the heart of athletics does mean something. The building WONT hurt recruiting of all sports and will only pay off in the future.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member

Hi, Pointer:
  • We're apples and oranges compared to Miami. Michael Irvin (Former Dallas WR, NFL HOF, Miami Hurricane) said he "only studied anatomy" while he attended Miami. Our players actually have to go to study hall, and our study hall is getting improved in the new Edge Center.
  • Likewise, our athletes and support staff are going to spend a ton of time in this new building. The top places they'll be are in classrooms, in their dorm rooms, in the practice facilities, and in this building. And their dorm rooms are on the list because they sleep there for 8 hours.
  • Part of the reason for the facilities is for player development. Not just a fancy weight room for recruiting--though it should help recruiting--but better conditioning facilities to help our players reach their potential.
  • Heck, this is probably something our support staff needs, too. I'm sure Nell Fortner wants a better office. I have to think our staff that aren't even coaches REALLY could use a better working space
  • Stansbury started planning for this before we ever hired Collins. There are multiple programs that an AA has to work on, but capital projects take years--both fundraising in advance and time to build.
  • If we'd had three straight 9-win seasons instead of three straight 3-win seasons, I'd bet you'd be applauding this building. We can't take the capital campaign money and use it to buy out a coach, and we started this before we'd even hired Collins. This money was donated for this, and there are strings attached.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Hi, Pointer:
  • We're apples and oranges compared to Miami. Michael Irvin (Former Dallas WR, NFL HOF, Miami Hurricane) said he "only studied anatomy" while he attended Miami. Our players actually have to go to study hall, and our study hall is getting improved in the new Edge Center.
  • Likewise, our athletes and support staff are going to spend a ton of time in this new building. The top places they'll be are in classrooms, in their dorm rooms, in the practice facilities, and in this building. And their dorm rooms are on the list because they sleep there for 8 hours.
  • Part of the reason for the facilities is for player development. Not just a fancy weight room for recruiting--though it should help recruiting--but better conditioning facilities to help our players reach their potential.
  • Heck, this is probably something our support staff needs, too. I'm sure Nell Fortner wants a better office. I have to think our staff that aren't even coaches REALLY could use a better working space
  • Stansbury started planning for this before we ever hired Collins. There are multiple programs that an AA has to work on, but capital projects take years--both fundraising in advance and time to build.
  • If we'd had three straight 9-win seasons instead of three straight 3-win seasons, I'd bet you'd be applauding this building. We can't take the capital campaign money and use it to buy out a coach, and we started this before we'd even hired Collins. This money was donated for this, and there are strings attached.
This is a good take. Not just a recruiting tool, but HQ for athletics in general.

slugboy

Staff member
This is a good take. Not just a recruiting tool, but HQ for athletics in general.
Pro: The AA raised the funds so this doesn’t increase our debt.
Con: it doesn’t directly reduce our debt either. That would be a different program or programs but that’s vital to the AA now. It’s harder to run an “un-screw up our finances” campaign than a capital campaign, but that’s the program we need most.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Con: it doesn’t directly reduce our debt either. That would be a different program or programs but that’s vital to the AA now. It’s harder to run an “un-screw up our finances” campaign than a capital campaign, but that’s the program we need most.
Yup and that was the crux of my original point. It would seem wiser to campaign to fix our finances rather than campaigning to address a lower priority item. We are, hopefully, not incurring more debt, but we are spending time and resources with the AI initiative, that could be used to campaign to shore up the AA financials instead.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Yup and that was the crux of my original point. It would seem wiser to campaign to fix our finances rather than campaigning to address a lower priority item. We are, hopefully, not incurring more debt, but we are spending time and resources with the AI initiative, that could be used to campaign to shore up the AA financials instead.
What? This is all being done with private money

JacketFan137

Banned
gotta spend money to make money in college football