Early season thoughts

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
We are through 8 games against (mostly) average to below average competition. Opening weekend was the best 3 teams we've played . 1-2 was disappointing. UConn is probably legitimately the best team we've played. We had a terrible game defensively.... and still clawed back into it and had REAL opportunities to win. Bradley was just a disaster pitching-wise...and fortunately, that seems to be looking more and more like a no-kidding anomaly.

Like every season, there are some statistics (nearly every offensive one) that are not very helpful in truly assessing "where we are" because the ACC (and some SEC) teams on our schedule are in another class talent-wise. However, a few pitching statistics are pretty blind to the level of competition. These numbers are VERY good & do give me reason to believe control is much improved across the pitching staff. It isn't just a few guys doing it. We've seen quite a few pitchers demonstrating much better control.

Walks/9-IP
4.76 - 2017
2.84 - 2018

HP/ 9-IP
1.10 - 2017
0.62 - 2017

WHIP
1.56 - 2017
1.16 - 2018

K/Walk
1.52 - 2017
3.09 - 2018

Defense is another thing that is blind to level of competition. Fielding % (.969) this year is essentially same as 2017. That includes the 2 games (Bradley/UConn) where we committed 70% of our errors for the season.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Anybody have ANY concern or issue with the fact we've only attempted 6 stolen bases with only TWO being successful in 8 games? That's last in the ACC. Notre Dame has 16 SBs on the season. I realize our fastest player (Carter Hall) hasn't played, yet. ...but don't we have at least a little speed? I think the pressure on a defense generated by the threat of stealing bases AND actually stealing them at a reasonable clip is underrated. I'll keep things in perspective... this is not a huge issue; but seems an area we could/should have better results... especially, against the competition we've faced. Every edge should be part of the deal.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Anybody have ANY concern or issue with the fact we've only attempted 6 stolen bases with only TWO being successful in 8 games? That's last in the ACC. Notre Dame has 16 SBs on the season. I realize our fastest player (Carter Hall) hasn't played, yet. ...but don't we have at least a little speed? I think the pressure on a defense generated by the threat of stealing bases AND actually stealing them at a reasonable clip is underrated. I'll keep things in perspective... this is not a huge issue; but seems an area we could/should have better results... especially, against the competition we've faced. Every edge should be part of the deal.
It may be that the slugging% is influencing those decisions and where the potential to steal is cooled by the batting order.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I feel like we’ve never really been a team to steal a lot of bases. Every so often we may have a guy that gets 20 or so steals in a season, but I feel like we never have multiple guys with double digit SB’s. There are only a few guys this year that appear to have really good to elite speed with the Wilhite brothers and Carter Hall. Bailey has good speed, but not sure it is the type of speed that racks up a ton of stolen bases.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I feel like we’ve never really been a team to steal a lot of bases. Every so often we may have a guy that gets 20 or so steals in a season, but I feel like we never have multiple guys with double digit SB’s. There are only a few guys this year that appear to have really good to elite speed with the Wilhite brothers and Carter Hall. Bailey has good speed, but not sure it is the type of speed that racks up a ton of stolen bases.
Just looked up stats for the past 7 seasons. Only one player had 20+ steals since 2012 with Kyle Wren going for 28 in 2013. Had a couple of seasons in there with no player even getting double digit stolen bases (including last season).

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Through 11 games and done with the "pre-ACC" schedule weekends. My profound assessment so far is cautious optimism. That term is over-used; but it really applies for me right now. I am encouraged by the steady control most of the pitching staff has shown. Our offense is good...and no reason to believe we cannot average 6-ish runs per game consistently. I guess when I think about the conference schedule ahead of us... I worry about "giving away" games (even if its just a few) like the few we've already seen so far. The margin for error (no pun intended) is pretty small.

Getting a little ahead of ourselves... but we have the longest road stretch on the schedule upcoming (5 games): Ga State, Clem x3, Auburn. The good news is Va Tech (the series after all that) could be the worst team in the ACC. Not going to attempt to predict the way those 8 games will go... but I do think our ACC record after Va Tech will be just fine... again... assuming we do not beat ourselves.