2017: 6-1, 66 Runs scored, 36 Runs allowed
2018: 5-2, 57 Runs scored, 36 Runs allowed

Take that FWIW.

Top 3 Positives for me:
Chase Murray’s bat
Connor Thomas’ arm
4 BB allowed this weekend in 27 innings

Top questions I have:
1) Can we put Kel in RF to get his bat and McCann’s bat in the lineup together? Or is that sacrificing too much defense?
2) When is Thomas going to be starting on the weekend? I believe CDH has already said CT is starting Tuesday’s game.
3) Which freshmen are going to be major contributors the rest of the way? For hitters, as they start seeing better and better pitching, who is going to make the necessary adjustments? For pitchers, which ones will be able to give valuable quality innings?

Other random takeaways:
1. Tristin English isn’t showing much rust from a year off...both at the plate and defensively at 1B
2. Bart’s defense is great and he is hitting the ball very well.
3. Bailey has had a little bit of a slow start, but I have zero doubt that he will be one of our top hitters as he has been for the last few years.
4. Datoc, Archer, and Gibson (other than two pitches today) have looked really good in relief. Especially Datoc. Can’t wait to get Carpenter back, too.
5. Great to see Hughes pitch well tonight—would be huge for us to have him become the guy he can be on the mound.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
First, a comparison from 2017 vs 2018 in the first 7 games:

Take that FWIW.

Top 3 Positives for me:
Chase Murray’s bat
Connor Thomas’ arm

Top questions I have:
1) Can we put Kel in RF to get his bat and McCann’s bat in the lineup together? Or is that sacrificing too much defense?
2) When is Thomas going to be starting on the weekend? I believe CDH has already said CT is starting Tuesday’s game.
3) Which freshmen are going to be major contributors the rest of the way? For hitters, as they start seeing better and better pitching, who is going to make the necessary adjustments? For pitchers, which ones will be able to give valuable quality innings?

Other random takeaways:
1. Tristin English isn’t showing much rust from a year off...both at the plate and defensively at 1B
3. Bailey has had a little bit of a slow start, but I have zero doubt that he will be one of our top hitters as he has been for the last few years.
4. Datoc, Archer, and Gibson (other than two pitches today) have looked really good in relief. Especially Datoc. Can’t wait to get Carpenter back, too.
5. Great to see Hughes pitch well tonight—would be huge for us to have him become the guy he can be on the mound.

Good stuff Rooster. And thank you for the reminder that early season success doesn't translate into full season success.

The one thing that baffles me as well as the handling of Thomas. In the 3 games Curry or Thomas have started, we have given up 3 runs. In the 4 games someone else has started, we have given up 33 runs. That's kinda dramatic. If he doesn't have Thomas in as a weekend starter by the Clemson series I will be seriously...pi....upset.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
First, a comparison from 2017 vs 2018 in the first 7 games:

Take that FWIW.

Top 3 Positives for me:
Chase Murray’s bat
Connor Thomas’ arm

Top questions I have:

Other random takeaways:
Jim Poole addressed it (very briefly) on radio; but Coach Hall is going to have some very tough decisions regarding the lineup (not talking pitching). This applies MOSTLY to the outfield, but....Poole talked about the tradeoff DEFENSE v OFFENSE when setting the lineup. He made a great point, I think. As it stands now...our pitchers "rely" on allowing the defense to make plays. The pitchers are not overpowering... striking out a lot of guys. That means when guys get on (via hit or "freebies"), the defense will be more likely to get the critical outs than a pitcher striking guys out. Paraphrasing Poole's comment.... you err on side of good defense in the outfield UNLESS the offensive "delta" is significant. I do not think that is the case (so far) with this team. Especially.... when Carter Hall gets back.

All that follows is my opinion....
@GTNavyNuke has beat the drum (rightly) that Coach Hall is loyal to a fault. I feel for Coach Hall in this regard because I empathize with that sentiment. I'm also not a college baseball coach. Never have been...never will be. The rub here is Kel...a senior who's been great (at times) in his career. He is simply not a fit defensively compared to the other options...not close. That means... he HAS to produce at the plate for Tech to succeed because he WILL be in the lineup most days. CDH said as much in the post game tonight (Dartmouth). He listed Bailey, Bart, English, Johnson as the key...."those are the guys that have to be the 'guys" for us" CDH is just not going to sit any of those guys until something radical occurs. Now...having said that... it is a good problem to have when you have too many good offensive options to come up with 9 to slot into the lineup. Kel hit the ball pretty good this weekend.... as long as that's happening, all is well with the world. The problem will be if he has problems....it's quite likely a better option is watching from the bench.

So... my opinion is you go with the BEST defensive outfield (with a nod toward their offense): LF-Murray; CF-Wilhite; RF-Radcliff or Co.Hall ...Not enough data on Guldberg. When/If Carter Hall returns.. we'll have a great outfield with Murray/Hall/Wilhite.

Last edited:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Jim Poole addressed it (very briefly) on radio; but Coach Hall is going to have some very tough decisions regarding the lineup (not talking pitching). This applies MOSTLY to the outfield, but....Poole talked about the tradeoff DEFENSE v OFFENSE when setting the lineup. He made a great point, I think. As it stands now...our pitchers "rely" on allowing the defense to make plays. The pitchers are not overpowering... striking out a lot of guys. That means when guys get on (via hit or "freebies"), the defense will be more likely to get the critical outs than a pitcher striking guys out. Paraphrasing Poole's comment.... you err on side of good defense in the outfield UNLESS the offensive "delta" is significant. I do not think that is the case (so far) with this team. Especially.... when Carter Hall gets back.

All that follows is my opinion....
@GTNavyNuke has beat the drum (rightly) that Coach Hall is loyal to a fault. I feel for Coach Hall in this regard because I empathize with that sentiment. I'm also not a college baseball coach. Never have been...never will be. The rub here is Kel...a senior who's been great (at times) in his career. He is simply not a fit defensively compared to the other options...not close. That means... he HAS to produce at the plate for Tech to succeed because he WILL be in the lineup most days. CDH said as much in the post game tonight (Dartmouth). He listed Bailey, Bart, English, Johnson as the key...."those are the guys that have to be the 'guys" for us" CDH is just not going to sit any of those guys until something radical occurs. Now...having said that... it is a good problem to have when you have too many good offensive options to come up with 9 to slot into the lineup. Kel hit the ball pretty good this weekend.... as long as that's happening, all is well with the world. The problem will be if he has problems....it's quite likely a better option is watching from the bench.

So... my opinion is you go with the BEST defensive outfield (with a nod toward their offense): LF-Murray; CF-Wilhite; RF-Radcliff or Co.Hall ...Not enough data on Guldberg. When/If Carter Hall returns.. we'll have a great outfield with Murray/Hall/Wilhite.
I appreciate what Kel has done for our program, but he has looked terrible at times at the plate (even this weekend). I worry about him in the lineup.....and I seriously hope he proves me wrong in spades!

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I appreciate what Kel has done for our program, but he has looked terrible at times at the plate (even this weekend). I worry about him in the lineup.....and I seriously hope he proves me wrong in spades!
I'm going to disagree a bit. I saw signs of him getting his swing back today. I think he needs to play.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Can you really justify sitting McCann to play Kel. McCann can hit. Proved it last year and is proving it again this year.
McCann hit under .200 last year. He is the epitome of a slugger. He either strikes out, walks, or hits a home run.

Edit: I do agree that he should be in the lineup more and hopefully we'll use him more to allow Bart to get some rest. However, Kel is the better all around hitter.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
McCann hit under .200 last year. He is the epitome of a slugger. He either strikes out, walks, or hits a home run.

Edit: I do agree that he should be in the lineup more and hopefully we'll use him more to allow Bart to get some rest. However, Kel is the better all around hitter.

True statement that Kel was a better hitter than McCann last year. And McCann wasn't very good hitting in summer ball either.

But what have you done for me lately? Not enough of a sample size to say definitively; but I'd give 2/3 of the batting attempts to McCann till he doesn't produce.
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=193692
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=206022

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
True statement that Kel was a better hitter than McCann last year. And McCann wasn't very good hitting in summer ball either.

But what have you done for me lately? Not enough of a sample size to say definitively; but I'd give 2/3 of the batting attempts to McCann till he doesn't produce.
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=193692
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=206022
This is going to interesting to follow as the season progresses. Realistically, Kel's only spot in the lineup is DH. McCann will spell Bart at catcher; & when that happens, Bart will DH (like yesterday) & Kel will sit.

So...both McCann & Kel in lineup at same time will be extremely rare. For Coach Hall, he has to figure out who provides best offense. Too early to tell right now... but how do you go about figuring it out? Perhaps it'll be a matchup thing... Kel v lefty starters & McCann v righties. I have not compared their numbers against righties/lefties. I tend to believe it is Kel's job to lose & he'll get a long rope if he struggles. Would be nice to see him hit about .350, drive in a ton of runs, & hit 15+ HRs.

Either someone clearly emerges as the guy or we go through season second guessing every time one of them strikes out with guys on 3rd & less than 2 outs. :mad: ...while we are left to "wonder" if other option would have different results.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
At the games yesterday, I heard that Carter Hall was to start yesterday, but reinjured himself in the batting cage before the game. I just don't think he has the body to stay healthy enough to be a factor.
By the way, I think Hughes is on the way back, and a factor is that he has been allowed to push off from the third base end of the rubber. GT teaches that you push off from the first base end of the rubber. I heard this from a former player, and checked it out with my binoculars.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is going to interesting to follow as the season progresses. Realistically, Kel's only spot in the lineup is DH. McCann will spell Bart at catcher; & when that happens, Bart will DH (like yesterday) & Kel will sit.

So...both McCann & Kel in lineup at same time will be extremely rare. For Coach Hall, he has to figure out who provides best offense. Too early to tell right now... but how do you go about figuring it out? Perhaps it'll be a matchup thing... Kel v lefty starters & McCann v righties. I have not compared their numbers against righties/lefties. I tend to believe it is Kel's job to lose & he'll get a long rope if he struggles. Would be nice to see him hit about .350, drive in a ton of runs, & hit 15+ HRs.

Either someone clearly emerges as the guy or we go through season second guessing every time one of them strikes out with guys on 3rd & less than 2 outs. :mad: ...while we are left to "wonder" if other option would have different results.
I think 2 of McCann’s homeruns yesterday were off LHP. Small sample size but he might be one of those oddities who hit better off LHP than RHP.

As THWG mentioned, McCann last year was basically HR, K, or BB. I definitely think we need to get him in the lineup to see if he can be a more reliable bat this season (and also prep him for full-time C next year).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
At the games yesterday, I heard that Carter Hall was to start yesterday, but reinjured himself in the batting cage before the game. I just don't think he has the body to stay healthy enough to be a factor.
By the way, I think Hughes is on the way back, and a factor is that he has been allowed to push off from the third base end of the rubber. GT teaches that you push off from the first base end of the rubber. I heard this from a former player, and checked it out with my binoculars.

Was injury rumored to be to his back again?

Also, for us non-baseball types, what is the significance of a RHP pitcher pushing off from the 3rd base side? Other than being ~24" closer to first.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I think it was the back, not sure. The placement on the rubber has something to do with aligning your pitching motion with the plate, but I am not a baseball expert either.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think it was the back, not sure. The placement on the rubber has something to do with aligning your pitching motion with the plate, but I am not a baseball expert either.

Ok, pitching from 1st base side for a RHP is conventional because http://ezinearticles.com/?Baseball-...-the-Rubber-Should-You-Pitch-From?&id=4399877 and because https://thepitchingpro.com/pitching-techniques-which-side-of-the-rubber-should-you-pitch-from/

I didn't understand all that above since I'm on my second glass of wine before dinner. But since the difference is on 2 feet one way or the other and the plate is 60 feet away, that's on a 1.9 degree difference in release angle (=arctan (60/2)). I think whatever makes the pitcher feel good and think less is better. Everything either works or it doesn't. Pitching isn't natural to start with.

I really like your information, being 600 miles away and there being so little GT baseball info available. Thanks.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I've always felt that you should pitch where you feel comfortable from on the rubber. I pitched side-armed as a RHP and I stood on the 3rd base side of the rubber. It made my curveball sweep across the zone more and my fastball came in from a hard angle for the hitters.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Can you really justify sitting McCann to play Kel. McCann can hit. Proved it last year and is proving it again this year.
At this point in the season, neither needs to play every game, although you go with the hot bat. Bart does not need to start every midweek game.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Minor thing.... but I would rather Ga Tech have UGA on the 2nd or 3rd weekend of the season for a 3 game series... alternating home & away each year. Not sure when we stopped doing that. I'd also be fine with a 4th game... if there's financial reasons to keep the mid-week one at the Braves stadium later in the season like we do now. That (to me) is better than scattering 3 mid-week games across the season. Would generate much more attendance and get more eyeballs on these early season games. Other ACC teams do stuff like this and I think it is way more exciting than UIC or Dartmouth. Examples: UNC v ECU and Miami v Florida this past weekend. Clemson plays USC this coming weekend.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Minor thing.... but I would rather Ga Tech have UGA on the 2nd or 3rd weekend of the season for a 3 game series... alternating home & away each year. Not sure when we stopped doing that. I'd also be fine with a 4th game... if there's financial reasons to keep the mid-week one at the Braves stadium later in the season like we do now. That (to me) is better than scattering 3 mid-week games across the season. Would generate much more attendance and get more eyeballs on these early season games. Other ACC teams do stuff like this and I think it is way more exciting than UIC or Dartmouth. Examples: UNC v ECU and Miami v Florida this past weekend. Clemson plays USC this coming weekend.
I violently agree with this....the midweek games where both teams are using their "2nd string" pitchers does nothing for me.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I think that we should have a 3 game series weekend with them, but alternate the stadiums each day. So Friday would be in Athens, Saturday in Atlanta, and Sunday at the Braves stadium.