Early line: Clemson by 29

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Good reason to put Gibbs in the slot or motion him. could run reverses to him. He will get attention so force them to spy him. Dontae and Mason are capable backs. Get Gibbs the ball in space. He is a good receiver and can break a simple pass for big yardage.
Dontae could be the player that really helps us as good as all our backs are I do like the way he plays waiting on the hole before just taking off. ( not sure he ain't the best at finding the open area to run.

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
There is one way that we keep it close and possibly even win. If the remains of Mindy settle over clemson on Saturday and it becomes a monsoon mudfest where no one can throw, perhaps we get a couple more fumbles due to our penchant for ripping balls free. One of our talented runnings backs eventually breaks free and we win 6-0. You may say I’m a dreamer…..

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
With their loss to the dwags, for Clemson to get back into the top 4, they will have to blow out everyone they play. The did that this past weekend. Sadly, I expect that to continue this weekend.

Scubapro

Banned
Maybe now is the time and game to play 2 running backs . run a few traps on passing downs keep one back to block and use the other as a check off for passing if that man is Gibbs they have to keep a man on him . But I do think they will have a spy on Gibbs.
Gonna be tough to game plan against their D. We won't be able to run right at them out of the gun and they will be too quick to beat to the perimeter. I think we will need some roll outs passes. Something to keep the line backers honest.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Brent Key will earn his money on this one. If we can run the ball against Clemson and burn some clock, it will give Clemson less opportunities. I want to see Kirby and Cochrane in at the same time provided Kirby is healthy. We have the RBs (Power = Mason, All Purpose = Gibbs, Smith) to do damage against Clemson, but our OL will need to play a stellar game to give our RBs opportunities to do their jobs.

Passing-wise, we have to pick our spots. It's going to be interesting to see who starts at QB. I personally want to see us ride the hot hand in Yates. He's earned it. Carter and McGowin can make plays against Clemson, but will our QB have enough time to find them? Kind of a double edge sword if our QB has some success running the ball because it will bring an extra defender into the box and clog up running lanes for our WRs. Nothing against our WRs, but I do feel like Clemson will be able to go single coverage across the board on us and afford to bring an extra man into the box...much like what they did over the years against CPJ's offenses.

On defense, Clemson had their "KSU game" to find confidence. We can't take much away from the UGA game because UGA has a top defense. Our defense, unfortunately, is not of that class yet. We've got to find a way for our DEs and LBs to put pressure on Clemson's QB. Our secondary will need to have a stellar game...but I'm nervous that we've regressed in the defensive backfield. I hope they prove me wrong. I'm rotating my 300+ lb DTs and telling them don't worry about getting to the passer...let the DEs and LBs do that. Just mind the gaps and conserve energy.

Clemson is big mountain to climb. I think we can make it competitive because I don't think Clemson's offense has clicked yet...so in that regard I think getting them early is a good thing. If our run game and pass defense hold up, this can be a more competitive game than the 29 point underdog status tells us.

We'll see. CGC and our staff have an opportunity to erase the NIU game with a good game here. If we lose, and we give Clemson all they can handle, I'll accept that and feel better about our season. However, if this game starts getting away from us because of undisciplined play, broken assignments, and questionable coaching decisions, well...it won't be a fun post game at least for me.

Jmonty71

Banned
I don't think we stay within that.... Here's why.... I Clemson is on a mission to build points back towards the playoffs.. Right now, games they are picked to win big, they will push to win big. Think of it this way... Clemson wins by 10 against us... While we (GT fans) are somewhat happy.... the reporters and such are writing things like "what's wrong with Clemson?". I think they are using the next few games to make a statement and all the teams, they play, are going to have the score ran up on them.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
There is one way that we keep it close and possibly even win. If the remains of Mindy settle over clemson on Saturday and it becomes a monsoon mudfest where no one can throw, perhaps we get a couple more fumbles due to our penchant for ripping balls free. One of our talented runnings backs eventually breaks free and we win 6-0. You may say I’m a dreamer…..

Mindy is long gone. You mean Nicholas, I presume.

I like your scenario, but you are forgetting: Weather only affects us for some reason, not our opponents!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Maybe it's just me but I hate to hear we need to slow the game down. There makes it sound like I know we can't win but if we slow down maybe we can keep them from winning by a big score. The the way you play best to start the game if that is fast pace so be it if that don't work than change up. If their offense is no better than I think they are maybe just maybe , But against that defense we will need to run more and keep our passing game to short passes so our QB can get the passes off.
We need to do whatever it is they don't expect us to do. Be unorthodox.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
In war and football, bad weather is the underdog's friend.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Every one of us is talking about slowing the game down in order have a chance. Why do I feel like the coaching staff is not thinking that way?
Ohio State gutted them last year via up tempo (more than they normally do).

It served two purposes:
1) prevented Clemson's sign-stealing/traditional last minute defensive calls from Venables
2) prevented Clemson from getting set in time and also subbing when Ohio State had advantageous match-ups

Say what we want about the talent differential between Ohio State and us, but both of those are sound theories regardless. Maybe we do that to try to establish a lead before taking the air out of the ball.

Bottom line, up tempo or slowdown, neither strategy carries great odds.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
I've been really impressed with our offense through 2 games. I'm not saying we beat Clemson but +29 seems real friendly unless you think they are gonna score 60+ to be honest.
Impressed? you being sarcastic i hope

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm with Stech. Study the film, decide what you think might work, run your offense. Give it your best shot. If we are going to lose, I'd rather it be giving it our best try, even if that results in a blowout loss.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
didn't we run a few hurry up plays on Saturday. maybe going to try it against Clemson. I like the idea of not letting them get sideline signals on D in time. We haven't done much motion or reset formations so far on O. Let's find out how far along this offense is against a top defensive team.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'm with Stech. Study the film, decide what you think might work, run your offense. Give it your best shot. If we are going to lose, I'd rather it be giving it our best try, even if that results in a blowout loss.
Yeah, we need to have the mindset that we're going to Clemson to win, and not just keep it close.
The latter mindset is going to result in a blowout more often than the first.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
If we score 20+ points on Saturday you guys are going to owe me an apology. I'm still waiting on apologies for going against the board and being correct about the NIU and KSU games.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We could play our best game of the season and Clemson would still cover. I just don’t see a scenario where this game is close, even if Clemson is the weakest it has been since 2014. And we all know from last year Dabo will run up the score if he can.
Who says Clemson is the weakest since 2014? You'd think Georgia blew them away rather than winning on a pick six. If I remember last year, and I try to forget, Swinney threw his entire travel team on the field beginning late in the first quarter. Is he supposed to put them out there and tell them not to tackle or score? That's on us.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Huh. Pretty big spread.

Happy Joel Mchale GIF by ABC Network

(OK, the GIF is silly, but I think we’ll show up for this game)

I think Clemson is capable of covering that spread IF they get turnovers and better quarterback play both of which are problematic. If they beat us by more than 5 touchdowns, then that is a sign we are not improving. 70-7 with a TD thrown by a punter playing quarterback is not acceptable.