Duquesne 12/29/2015

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Went from a game that we completely took over to a game that we escaped from with a W, all because of a dropped inbound.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A game against a good opponent that was a must-win. Fought against adversity amidst some terrible transition D to open the game and did exactly that. Despite my in-game frustrations, well done.

Also, overcame a strong Duquesne defensive game plan to clog the middle and limit our rebounds early.

Some nice stats on the night:

17A - 7 TO

17A on 24FGM

44% from 3

Ultimately outrebounded them 44-39

Well done tonight with room for further improvement.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
50 days and counting ...... but back to basketball, we didn't cover the spread (-9.5) at the site below and dropped from #51 to #54 ......... but any win is a good win (without injuries).
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400817662

Win 7 ACC games and we are a solid NIT team? Do well in the tourney and we may go to the NCAAs?
These next eight games are key to how well we can do. Win 3-4 and we should be OK for the post season. Less and it will be a struggle.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
First game I got to watch or attend in over 3 weeks.

The first 12 min were tough. Dukes were quicker and more aggressive. They also shot the ball extremely well early (over 60% while GT was hovering around 35%) - due largely to some poor defense and rebounding (Dukes led that 15-7 at one point)- when they did miss they seemed to gather alot of long rebounds with GT being out of position or not fighting as hard.

With about 8 min left it started to change. GT started to choke off the transition points (I don't believed they scored any that way the last 7 min) and rebounded alot better.
Should have led at halftime but GT bumbled a rebound out of bounds and Dukes hit a three with the second opportunity. MGH and Smith kept GT in the game in the first half with 3-pt shooting (one of the few times i've said that about GT in years) - though MGH was uncharacteristically poor at the FT line missing an and 1, first of 2 Tech FT and the front end of a one on one.

Second half was a very tight game as the Dukes did not get the same transition buckets and GT really started to shadow #22. 2 threes by Smith really broke the game open. GT drew up a great play for Smith on the following possession where he got a wide open 3 after a double screen but he missed.

Game should have been a double digit game in the last 2 minutes - Dukes pulled their 2 best players with a min left and down 12 but Q tried to almost single handily give them the game (with a small assist from teammates). We had a rebound go out of bounds off us. Q simply failed to secure an easy outlet pass, and then he followed that up with 2 missed FT. That turned into 5 points for the Dukes and none for GT - it was at least a 7 pt turnaround and probably closer to 10 with the 2 missed secured positions.

This team doesn't look like a Tourney team, but we'll see how ACC season goes.
Lammers gets a shout out. He played really good fundamental basketball. Dukes where a bigger team than I expected and Lammers helped alot on defense and also contributed some nice offense. He is developing nicely.

Dukes really clogged the middle - even going to a zone at one point, but that left GT some open spots on the perimeter and they did a good job of taking advantage of those opportunities. Shot better from 3 than from 2. We missed an awful lot in close tonight.

We still don't have an ACC level PG and that hurts. We don't need big scorer there, but you need to be enough of a threat that they take you seriously and we don't penetrate well from the PG position - unless we move MGH there which happened a number of times last night. Heath hit a big three in the second half off a penetration feed from MGH but otherwise didn't look to score. Jorgy will take some shots but doesn't shoot a high enough percentage.

My son got to be part of the high 5 line coming out of the tunnel last night so that was a big thrill for him.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Lammers changed the game for us

We have great front court depth. James White is a highlight waiting to happen.

I knew we would win when MGH drilled that corner 3 right after the Dukes hit one.

Smith was clutch. It's great to have that ability to shoot in our backcourt.

One thing. WTF is going on with Q being assigned to Mason? I mean.......???!!!! Decisions like that blow my mind.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Lammers changed the game for us

We have great front court depth. James White is a highlight waiting to happen.

I knew we would win when MGH drilled that corner 3 right after the Dukes hit one.

Smith was clutch. It's great to have that ability to shoot in our backcourt.

One thing. WTF is going on with Q being assigned to Mason? I mean.......???!!!! Decisions like that blow my mind.
I lost my connection and missed the final few minutes of the game, so the Q lapses are news to me. That said, Mason was unconscious last night hitting catch & shoot treys with a very quick release. Other than denying him the ball in the open court (and probably fouling him) there was nothing to be done on those plays. The guy is a good shooter.

That said, Q is not a good defender. Your question is a good one.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I lost my connection and missed the final few minutes of the game, so the Q lapses are news to me. That said, Mason was unconscious last night hitting catch & shoot treys with a very quick release. Other than denying him the ball in the open court (and probably fouling him) there was nothing to be done on those plays. The guy is a good shooter.

That said, Q is not a good defender. Your question is a good one.

that was my thought also but oddly as I recall Mason did not hurt us near the end so Q must have done something right on def(but those brain-farts at end were SCARY on Off)
I would feel better about this game except --
1.they were playing without maybe best player overall who got hurt last game
2.we were at home
3.they are not in ACC

Tech took this team lightly which to me is a unacceptable. Gregory arse is on the line and he can't get these guys fired up enough to play hard? That said I started watch with about 15 min left in the game. Like Red has said we have no ACC level guards period. Tad is either not listening to his coaches or his coaches are not earning their money? Jorg is not the answer, he would have a hard time getting PT at UTC. Need to keep running with MGH at PG he seems to get the best out of the half court offense. Q needs to quit shooting which would limit his contribution thus cutting down on his PT. I believe Gregory needs to adopt the Bobby method and run a 7 or 8 man rotation and pray for blind refs.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Mason was taken out with a min left - basically their coach was all but conceding the game and then we got so careless they almost got back.
GT used alot of MGH and Q on Mason in the 2nd half. Very aggressive about getting over the screens and their size bothered him some in the 2nd half as Mason didn't get very many clean looks - unlike the first half.

Smith and MGH are high level ACC guards. No one else on the team is right now though. GT has 4 legit ACC caliber starters, but it drops alot after that.