Duke Week Media #DUKEvsGT

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I just listened to the replay. One thing that struck me as odd is he said we didn't do anything out of the ordinary with the OL, just played better. No more drive blocking than usual and the splits remained the same as always.

If CPJ is going to say stuff like that I wish he would at least have the decency to quote me (or at least admit he reads this board):

steebu said:
I only saw our first 3 drives against Louisville; I don't think anything is glaringly different in terms of splits or blocking assignments. In my opinion I'd go back to something CPJ often says (paraphrased): "Sometimes it isn't calling a particular play or a using a different strategy. Sometimes guys just have to play better."

Duke will be healthy coming off their bye....again. Wonder why we have struggled against Duke recently? Duke is improved and the ACC office has been very...accommodating...to them scheduling wise.

Now where did I leave my pitchfork and torch?

http://www.donbest.com/ncaaf/injuries/

Duke's got more injuries than we do. It's mid-October - everyone has injuries.

Duke
Date Pos Player Injury Status
10/10/18 DT Edgar Cerenord Undisclosed is upgraded to probable Saturday vs Georgia Tech
10/10/18 S Michael Carter II Undisclosed is upgraded to probable Saturday vs Georgia Tech
10/07/18 WR Aaron Young Undisclosed is "?" Saturday vs Georgia Tech
10/07/18 DE Drew Jordan Undisclosed is "?" Saturday vs Georgia Tech
10/07/18 S Jordan Hayes Undisclosed is "?" Saturday vs Georgia Tech
10/07/18 RB Marvin Hubbard III ACL is out for season
10/07/18 RB Mataeo Durant Undisclosed is "?" Saturday vs Georgia Tech
10/07/18 C Zach Harmon Undisclosed is "?" Saturday vs Georgia Tech
09/09/18 CB Mark Gilbert Hip is out for season

Us:
Georgia Tech
10/11/18 OL Andrew Marshall Upper Body injured last game, is "?" Saturday vs Duke
10/11/18 WR Jalen Camp Lower Body injured last game, is "?" Saturday vs Duke
10/11/18 DB Lamont Simmons Upper Body missed last game, is probable Saturday vs Duke
10/07/18 DB Jaytlin Askew Undisclosed is "?" Saturday vs Duke
09/11/18 RB KirVonte Benson Knee is out for season
08/16/18 QB Lucas Johnson Leg is out indefinitely
08/10/18 WR Adonicas Sanders Collarbone is out indefinitely

alagold

Helluva Engineer

Duke
10/10/18 DT Edgar Cerenord Undisclosed is upgraded to probable Saturday vs Georgia Tech
10/10/18 S Michael Carter II Undisclosed is upgraded to probable Saturday vs Georgia Tech

Us:
Georgia Tech
10/11/18 OL Andrew Marshall Upper Body injured last game, is "?" Saturday vs Duke
10/11/18 DB Lamont Simmons Upper Body missed last game, is probable Saturday vs Duke

are any of dook players mentioned starters?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

One thing in these interviews was the concentration of the questions about how the O sputtered in the second half last year against Puke. I remember that game well. The problem was that the D couldn't stop them. The offense was not exactly tearing up the pea-patch, but the main thing was that we couldn't get them off the field and, once we missed two turns, we had to think more about catching up instead of playing our game. We were trying to score too fast and things got more desperate because we couldn't stop them.

This game will not, imho, depend on our O; I have no doubt that we'll move the ball on them. It will depend on our D and how well we can handle them, especially on the ground. If we can choke off their running game - that's what beat us last year - then we can begin to cause trouble for their passing. I hope we can do that. I don't know that we will.

Update: Coach seems to agree about the second half last year. See - sorry, listen - above.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
One thing in these interviews was the concentration of the questions about how the O sputtered in the second half last year against Puke. I remember that game well. The problem was that the D couldn't stop them. The offense was not exactly tearing up the pea-patch, but the main thing was that we couldn't get them off the field and, once we missed two turns, we had to think more about catching up instead of playing our game. We were trying to score too fast and things got more desperate because we couldn't stop them.

This game will not, imho, depend on our O; I have no doubt that we'll move the ball on them. It will depend on our D and how well we can handle them, especially on the ground. If we can choke off their running game - that's what beat us last year - then we can begin to cause trouble for their passing. I hope we can do that. I don't know that we will.

Update: Coach seems to agree about the second half last year. See - sorry, listen - above.

Well, both things happened--the O sputtered and the D didn't stop Duke. Maybe if the O had kept pace the D would have stepped up. Maybe if the D had stepped up the O would have kept going. Which comes first?

(Yes, I would obviously have liked the D to have completely shut Duke out for the entire game. But, when it's a boat race, both boats have to keep racing).

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Duke

Us:
Georgia Tech

Yes everyone has injuries mid season. Duke gets an extra week to heal up before facing us.....again.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Duke

Us:
Georgia Tech
are any of dook players mentioned starters?
Yes everyone has injuries mid season. Duke gets an extra week to heal up before facing us.....again.
From the Tuesday (Oct 9) radio interview pasted below:
"The open date came at a good time. It's well documented how many people we've had out. We do have a lot of our guys back. Obviously Mark Gilbert and Marvin Hubbard are out for the season, but we should be at full strength otherwise. I don't know if everybody is completely well, but we're going to go try and practice football today." - Cutcliffe
David Cutcliffe: Playing an option attack like Georgia Tech is always challenging for us
https://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/audio/17903539/?version=embedded_v2&player_options=%7B%22embedded_autoplay_next%22%3Atrue%7D
(8 min audio radio interview)

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

Duke

Us:
Georgia Tech
To be completely fair, KirVonte is better than all those Duke guys combined.