Duke - No Foolin' 4/1 - 4/3

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT has been superior to date this year without question. But we have lost series and been swept by "inferior" teams in past years. BC and VT series recently still sting.

Of the last 16 series with Duke, GT has won 14. Our RPI is 10th and Duke's is 102nd.

Going into the year I was most worried about hitting given last year's averages and summer ball. We are actually 10th in NCAA in hitting at .321. Shows what I can predict. http://www.boydsworld.com/data/team_leaderboard.html

Of course, our D is brilliant or bad - leading the NCAA in DPs but 140th in fielding percentage. http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MBA&division=1 http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MBA&division=1

And pitching is massively better than last year with an ERA ranked 34th....... we were 175th last year. (Yes, that bad.)

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I am worried about the health of our staring pitchers. I don't think King will be back, and I am really concerned about Hughes, who will be out again this weekend. I wonder if English may be able to get into the rotation soon.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am worried about the health of our staring pitchers. I don't think King will be back, and I am really concerned about Hughes, who will be out again this weekend. I wonder if English may be able to get into the rotation soon.

Why do you say Hughes will be out this weekend? I saw the RamblinWrek lineup of pitchers this weekend (Gold, Ryan, TBA). http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/033116aaa.html

Is that it or have you heard something else (I don't care to know where since you and others have good info sometimes.)

Being TBA Sunday gives me some hope Hughes is day to day and may be announced........ trying to be positive.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am hoping we get some starters healthy as well. Have heard nothing and don't like it when there is no scuttlebutt...that usually means it isn't great news. I would love it if English could get into the mix as a pitcher since Hall spoke so highly of him. I would guess we would start Dulaney on Sunday if we are still missing King, Hughes and English. I think he deserves the shot more than any of the others.

We should sweep and to be honest I will be disappointed if we don't. However, baseball is a funny game. Duke is no better than Auburn (who is NOT good...they are now 1-5 in the SEC and have an RPI of #128, just ahead of Albany and William & Mary) and we had a horrid game at home against AU after that upsetting weekend in Tallahassee. So, we have proven our ability to lose to bad teams, and we have now proven our ability to win against good teams....but to be really good, you have to minimize the first part of that statement, and we are much better than Duke. But Duke does have a couple of guys who can pitch. They took 2 of 3 from California to open the season (Cal has gone 14-4 since and is #32 in the RPI now), and they have won their Sunday game in 2 of 3 ACC series thus far (including a win over Virginia). But almost all of that was at home.

With so many ACC teams highly rated, we need these wins (especially after the weep in Tally) to recover. I personally still think this team has the talent to host a regional, but it doesn't help to have three starters or potential starters out of the lineup. (Just think how good we'd be with all 3 of them available!).

Let's go Tech! Make that Six Flags song play early and often this weekend! I want to be relaxed by the time Dead Skunk plays!

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I read on another site that Hughes was not able to pitch this weekend. It is really disappointing to see so much talent on the injury list. If we are foing to host a regional, we can't afford to lost to anyone of the lower teams on our remaining schedule. I would feel better with Delany coming out of the pen than starting.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
I read on another site that Hughes was not able to pitch this weekend. It is really disappointing to see so much talent on the injury list. If we are foing to host a regional, we can't afford to lost to anyone of the lower teams on our remaining schedule. I would feel better with Delany coming out of the pen than starting.

Agree. But like Nuke posted in another thread, the same happen to UVa and look what happen to them when they got those pitchers back at the right time.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Game 25. Lineup 21. #InGoldWeTrust
Ce--iGtW8AACFpR.jpg

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Game 25. Lineup 21. #InGoldWeTrust
Ce--iGtW8AACFpR.jpg

How would you like to be the pitcher facing that line-up?

I think we win easy tonight - the Duke pitcher has a 5.76 ERA. Tomorrow is the Duke ace - Urbon with a 1.51 ERA so the game can go either way. Sunday starts a 3.73 ERA pitcher and we have a staff day; but we have a great staff. Even if Hughes or Gibson start, I wouldn't expect more than 3 innings from them.

One problem of having a million dollar arm like Hughes is that you have to be very careful not to get it hurt in college. But if you are always out hurt, then you aren't seen as reliable. So there is a downside to not pitching for Hughes and some risks have to be taken ..... I'm surprised he isn't pitching this weekend based on why Wiley said on WREK last weekend after talking with Hughes a week and a half ago.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Hour-by-hour:

Fri, April 1 6s
6 PM72°
Scattered ThunderstormsChance of rain50%
7 PM70°
ShowersChance of rain60%
8 PM67°
RainChance of rain60%
9 PM65°
RainChance of rain70%
10 PM63°
RainChance of rain80%
11 PM62°
Light RainChance of rain60%

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
B5 We've been getting people on, just not scoring much. 5 hits and 3 walks in 4 innings only yielded 2 runs. One a Kel HR.

This is a hard game ...... need to get ahead in case the game is called for rain. Have enough innings. Lead off walk for the 5th for Justus.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
2-2 B7. Rain delay. Damn.

No outs so we have 9 outs to their six. Just not getting timely hitting. Started 6 with a double. Got to third one out and didn't get em home. Damn.