Duke @ GT Tues Mar 2nd @ 8PM ACCN

Deleted member 2897

I think one of those two has ACC potential to be honest. Personally I just don’t see where the scoring comes from next year besides Devoe and someone like Coleman.

Devoe, Moore, Sturdivant, Meka, Coleman, Kelly, Moore.

This year we knew we had a good nucleus coming back. The year before, we hoped that Banks and Usher could help fill in the gaps, and they did. Someone like Usher may come back or we may get a transfer. Remember too how Lammers and Banks and Wright turned out - from nothing to a lot of something. I don't see any reason that we shouldn't expect Howard and Saba to improve greatly by next season. I'd be worried if I hadn't seen it already happen (player development) multiple times before.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Devoe, Moore, Sturdivant, Meka, Coleman, Kelly, Moore.

This year we knew we had a good nucleus coming back. The year before, we hoped that Banks and Usher could help fill in the gaps, and they did. Someone like Usher may come back or we may get a transfer. Remember too how Lammers and Banks and Wright turned out - from nothing to a lot of something. I don't see any reason that we shouldn't expect Howard and Saba to improve greatly by next season. I'd be worried if I hadn't seen it already happen (player development) multiple times before.
Don't forget about Tristan Maxwell. When he is healthy, he can put the ball in the hole.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think one of those two has ACC potential to be honest. Personally I just don’t see where the scoring comes from next year besides Devoe and someone like Coleman.

Sturdivant is capable of 10-15 pts a game. We've seen flashes of his scoring ability. He can shoot and has ability to get to the rim. He averages just over 3 pts/game in 11 minutes/game.

Khalid Moore is also capable of giving us 10+ points a game. He's deferred a lot this season, but he can shoot and also has the ability to go buy defenders. I see Moore blossoming next season in a bigger role...I mentioned in another thread that we may see Moore become what Usher is this season.

Deebo Coleman is an out and out scorer. I would be shocked if he doesn't give us 12-15+ points a night. He's got a great shot, and his 6'6+ frame at guard makes him a matchup nightmare.

Devoe will be Devoe. Hopefully he'll be more consistent and more vocal next season.

I do worry about points in the post. Howard in limited minutes has really been a breather for Moses, and hasn't really looked for his shot. Saba shows promise with his shot and ability to put the ball on the court to get by defenders, but the glimpses have been limited so we can only guess. The promising thing is that every single post guy that has started for us turns productive minutes under Reveno.

Honestly, I worry more about our defensive chemistry. That's been our calling card under Pastner. We'll lose the defensive chemistry our guys have had the last 2 years.

We may struggle early as players find their roles and the team find its identity on both ends of the floor, but the staff will have a LOT of raw talent to work with compared to past years. I have ZERO doubts GT will be a lot better team towards the end of next season once we get games under us.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Don't threaten @kg01 with a good time!

Can't be mad at me. Everybody recognizes you're a prim and proper gentleman with discerning tastes. You drink all beverages with a pinky poked out.

And, that time you saw a dude wearing white after labor day? Whew, you were all ...

outrage.gif

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
I just realized that Duke has lost two really heartbreaking overtime games in a row. That’s the type of thing that can really cause dissension and damage to the team, program, and their relationships. Kind of gives me a warm feeling inside just wondering about it.
Coach K is to savvy to let that happen

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
Sturdivant is capable of 10-15 pts a game. We've seen flashes of his scoring ability. He can shoot and has ability to get to the rim. He averages just over 3 pts/game in 11 minutes/game.

Khalid Moore is also capable of giving us 10+ points a game. He's deferred a lot this season, but he can shoot and also has the ability to go buy defenders. I see Moore blossoming next season in a bigger role...I mentioned in another thread that we may see Moore become what Usher is this season.

Deebo Coleman is an out and out scorer. I would be shocked if he doesn't give us 12-15+ points a night. He's got a great shot, and his 6'6+ frame at guard makes him a matchup nightmare.

Devoe will be Devoe. Hopefully he'll be more consistent and more vocal next season.

I do worry about points in the post. Howard in limited minutes has really been a breather for Moses, and hasn't really looked for his shot. Saba shows promise with his shot and ability to put the ball on the court to get by defenders, but the glimpses have been limited so we can only guess. The promising thing is that every single post guy that has started for us turns productive minutes under Reveno.

Honestly, I worry more about our defensive chemistry. That's been our calling card under Pastner. We'll lose the defensive chemistry our guys have had the last 2 years.

We may struggle early as players find their roles and the team find its identity on both ends of the floor, but the staff will have a LOT of raw talent to work with compared to past years. I have ZERO doubts GT will be a lot better team towards the end of next season once we get games under us.
Howard and Saba have a ways to go.
We need one or two transfer bigs

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck

I would disagree with the 'Moore can shoot' statement. I think it's pretty clear at this point in his career that he is not a good outside shooter. His role will be to drive and pick up some points there, and an occasional 3 as a last option, and to rebound and play lock-down defense.

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd still fell better with a grad transfer big.
Even Lammers wasn't much of a contributor before his junior year.
Yep our bigs are a couple years out.
I hope I’m wrong. A transfer big would be good. UNC has to many bigs, one of them here would be good

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck

I like Moore, but he can shoot? Jose and Mike average close to 15 and I highly doubt Sturdivant averages close to 15. Hope your right though. We need Devoe, Maxwell, and the freshman (especially Deebo)to step up. Moore and Kyle are important but i hope we dont have to rely on them for to much scoring. I think they will be closer to 10ppg.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Saba and Howard will be fine next year. If we can land a Hauser level transfer to plug in at the 4 then great. If not, we'll be okay with putting Moore there and working Meka/J.Moore in some.

Absolutely don't need to go out and take a mediocre grad transfer that will just delay development and chemistry building.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
I like Moore, but he can shoot? Jose and Mike average close to 15 and I highly doubt Sturdivant averages close to 15. Hope your right though. We need Devoe, Maxwell, and the freshman (especially Deebo)to step up. Moore and Kyle are important but i hope we dont have to rely on them for to much scoring. I think they will be closer to 10ppg.
CJP said Jose did not practice all week; so I am guessing Sturdivant spent more time running the first team. And he shot better against Duke. Anybody seeing any correlation?

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Moore has hit some big shots for us. I wouldn't say he's a great shooter as he's had 0-fer games, but he also isn't asked to shoot much because his value comes in his defense and versatility. We have other guys that can score. In terms of scoring need, I'd compare him to Bubba....Bubba can score, he just defers as well to Jose/Devoe/Moses/Usher. Moore isn't needed to score this season...but I expect that to change next season. In 24 minutes per game, Moore averages 4.7 points. Give him more minutes and give him more rope to shoot, I can easily see him with 10-15 points per game.

I expect Sturdivant to be a very consistent scorer for us. I don't see him going off like Devoe and Jose does in certain games, but I can easily see him having nightly 12-15 points/5 assists/5 rebs type games every night. 3.4 point per 11 minutes is not bad at all considering he is usually the 4th/5th option when he's in. Right now, he's probably our starting guard next season unless Dallan Coleman comes in and just owns it.

We'll see...it's all conjecture. If we can play defense as well as we have in the past two seasons, we should have a chance to win a lot of games next year depending on how fast our players develop over the course of the season.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I would disagree with the 'Moore can shoot' statement. I think it's pretty clear at this point in his career that he is not a good outside shooter. His role will be to drive and pick up some points there, and an occasional 3 as a last option, and to rebound and play lock-down defense.

He's not a great shooter...his best year, he had 33% average from 3. Alvarado shot 33% last season, and 28% his sophomore year from the 3. I expect Moore will be a better shooter next season given more opportunities to shoot. Like I said, I expect him to have the same growth Usher had. Again, all conjecture...we'll see.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Looking over the WF scores from the last couple weeks, I’d sit him until we need him on Friday. They’ve been getting obliterated. Lost their last 5 games by an average of 22.8 points to Pitt, VT, Duke, State, and Clemson.
Spells out the "we can't hit anything and they're the warriors night"

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I would like to think I did my part to ensure victory. I went to bed at the start of OT. Had I stayed up, this thread wouldn't be nearly as jubilant as it has been. I have seen that movie too many times to know the outcome had I stayed up.
It would never have gotten to overtime if not for me. Tech was up by 8 and I took a brief break for family time, came back and Tech was behind. I want to apologize to everyone for putting us in that situation.