Duke @ GT Tues Mar 2nd @ 8PM ACCN

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I know a lot of you get on to CJP and want him gone, but you can never question his love for these young men. Likewise, his energy is unmatched and contagious. I love it! He has built a solid program here, and I am along for the ride.

The road to get here has had plenty of bumps and double backs, but if you had said 5 years ago we could hire a coach who would have back to back winning conference records and us in the NCAAT in year 5 I imagine almost everyone would have taken it. Beyond that while we are losing a lot of production this year, similar to the year he was hired, a roster comparison is night and day different in terms of outlook for the future. Last time we all expected a huge step back and it didn't happen. Next year we'll all expect a huge step back and it may or may not happen, but I firmly believe that even if next year is a step back we're well set to take 2 steps forward after that.

Does that mean that Pastner is for sure the guy who will ultimately take us to where we want to be as a program? No. But it does mean that no GT fan should want him gone at this point. Even if you think he's not that guy, he presents us a better chance with continuing continuity vs starting over of getting there. If it turns out he can't push us further, then you deal with that when it happens. For now, applaud the progress made, and give him the opportunity to continue to build on it.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Devoe, Alvarado and Parham were a collective 1 for 13 from three - I would think no way we win any game if our three key guards shoot like that from deep. Sturdivant hit two major unexpected 3s to keep us close in first half, and then we didn’t really see him again. He deserves some real credit. I think he’s earned more time.
Just for emphasis

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Just for emphasis

This is the type of effect that a national player of the year candidate can have. The ability to win games you would have thought you had no chance of winning based on certain things. Now Moses hasn't been that level for most of the year. He has been that level for the last 2 weeks though.

Deleted member 2897

Just watched the rat-faced rat's post game conference. Man he was down in the dumps - totally understandable. He said the locker room was really rough - also totally understandable. They had several chances to win either game and it just didn't go their way. Probably not a fun program to be in right now. What a time to be alive!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Yea honestly I don't get it. Nobody is beyond criticism, but he took over a program that was predicted to go winless his first season. In the ACC we've gone 8-10, 6-12, 6-12, 11-9, and we're currently 10-6. (We could easily be 13-6 had NC State and BC/BC not canceled.) First time in the history of our program we've had back-to-back 10-win ACC seasons (we do play more games now).

Bobby Cremins had 2 10-win seasons out of 19 seasons.
Paul Hewitt never did it once.
Brian Gregory never did it once.

Our talent also continues to increase, with three 4-star recruits coming in next year.

Basketball with its 1-and-done possibilities represents a unique recruiting challenge. These guys have literally millions of dollars on the line to pick the right school where they might only be 1 or a few years. Totally understandable that it took a few years of proof with player development and results on the court before recruiting improved.

Thanks for pointing out the more ACC regular season game, because IT does make a difference. (Kind of like in football it was hard for Heisman or Dodd to win 12 or 13 games in a season ;) )

Deleted member 2897

Thanks for pointing out the more ACC regular season game, because IT does make a difference. (Kind of like in football it was hard for Heisman or Dodd to win 12 or 13 games in a season ;) )

Well, a 12 or 13 win football season is like a 30 win basketball season...but yea.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

To quote my other post along these line. Shut up.

Also, we've had 4 winning seasons in conference the past 30 years. Two have come in these last two years.

And if you try that ACC being down junk, I'm going to throw poor quality ice cream at your dog.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
The fact of the matter is the program is trending in the right direction. If you look at how we finished last year, the season we have had so far this year, and the recruiting class coming in things are looking up for GT basketball. If there is anyone not excited about that I recommend they choose another team to root for. This team has been sooo much fun to watch. Even in our loses we have played pretty good basketball. We play an exciting brand of basketball that should appeal to fans and recruits. I am just going to sit back and enjoy this ride wherever it takes us.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am not going to dig back through the archives of the Swarm to name names, but during year 2 and 3 of Pastner's time at GT there were a lot of members calling for his immediate departure, if not outright arrest and incarceration, for the destitute status of our basketball program. Thankfully, TStan demurred when faced with our ultimatum of immediate action. It would be nice for those who wanted Pastner gone would stand up an issue a humble apology. I know he is not in the running for ACC Coach of the Year, but Josh and "his staff" have done a remarkable job.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Just watching this team for the last 2 seasons gives a great reason to hang in there with Pastner. He has put players in the right position to win, and the best part , these players never gave up!!

GT11

GT Athlete
I am not going to dig back through the archives of the Swarm to name names, but during year 2 and 3 of Pastner's time at GT there were a lot of members calling for his immediate departure, if not outright arrest and incarceration, for the destitute status of our basketball program. Thankfully, TStan demurred when faced with our ultimatum of immediate action. It would be nice for those who wanted Pastner gone would stand up an issue a humble apology. I know he is not in the running for ACC Coach of the Year, but Josh and "his staff" have done a remarkable job.
WELL STATED

slugboy

Staff member
It brings up a good question—which ACC coaches have had a better year?
Hamilton would make sense.
Chris Mack?
Brownell saved his job at Clemson. His seat seemed pretty warm earlier.
Then there’s Young at VT and Bennett at UVA.

Pastner’s had a better year so far than the coaches other than the ones I just listed. I can’t say this is a banner year for Roy at UNC or Krzyzewski at Duke.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
I still think he should have been fired for the Ron Bell debacle. With that said, he’s done a great job righting the ship this year after the brutal start. Just have to hope he gets a solid grad transfer or two because next year’s front court looks awful.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Chris Mack?

Pastner’s had a better year so far than the coaches other than the ones I just listed. I can’t say this is a banner year for Roy at UNC or Krzyzewski at Duke.
Young at VT should be COTY

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Chris Mack?

Pastner’s had a better year so far than everyone else. I can’t say this is a banner year for Roy at UNC or Krzyzewski at Duke.
On another note (since you brought up Young at VT), I heard this morning that they are going to miss games against UNC, FSU, UVA, and UL this year because of contact tracing. I know it is what it is, but the ACC certainly made sure we played (what seemed like) 10 games in 5 days. Packer said that they will end up in the top four based on percentage. There is the potential for 4 losses in that lineup for VT.

slugboy

Staff member
I still think he should have been fired for the Ron Bell debacle. With that said, he’s done a great job righting the ship this year after the brutal start. Just have to hope he gets a solid grad transfer or two because next year’s front court looks awful.
We have Meka, Saba, and Howard, plus Khalid coming back. I think Howard and Saba can come a long way with a year of coaching.

Deleted member 2897

To @orientalnc's comment and yours, ADTS deserves an award for not firing Pastner during that debacle. That was right in the middle of the #MeToo explosion. We had the perfect storm of NCAA violations and sexual harassment at a time when it was totally not cool to do anything other than accept as total truth any accusation. Maybe it was because of finances or something else, but it was definitely the right move to not make a change in the first few years. When Pastner was hired, we were predicted to go 0-18 in year 1 and 3-15 in year 2.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
We have Meka, Saba, and Howard, plus Khalid coming back. I think Howard and Saba can come a long way with a year of coaching.
I think one of those two has ACC potential to be honest. Personally I just don’t see where the scoring comes from next year besides Devoe and someone like Coleman.