Duke Baseball

How many games will GT win versus Duke?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Are there fans who would rather not see this team in post-season... even if you know ahead of time they will lose the regional?

That (to me) is crazy. [FWIW... crazy is allowed... just crazy]
Estimating that there are many CDH detractors who would like a different voice for this program, I do not think it’s that crazy that those who don’t want Hall back and believe our pitching is substandard for the post season would rather see us lose and not qualify. I’m not one of them, but I understand their perspective.
There's been many teams over the years that didn't look good on paper make an amazing run. 100% of the teams that don't get in win ZERO games.

Maybe we're seeing a changing fanbase. Used to be GT let you in and you won your way out. Many of us didn't deserve to get in, but when given the chance we made the most of it. There were many around me way more talented, they ended up elsewhere. I'd rather play it out on the field. This is a dangerous team & nobody would want us in their bracket as a 3.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
The last team that had championship level of pitching (acc, regionals, etc) was 2019 and the coaching blew that opportunity

This team is good. Will make a regional as a 3 seed especially if they win today but when you look at the upper echelon of the acc they have lots of quality and high leverage arms.

You win tournaments with pitching and defense not caveman baseball

We scored 10 runs at home yesterday and lost by 4. We were up 6-1 and you felt nervous. If you claim you weren’t, I think your understating that.

Wasn’t even upset about yesterday’s result. I was actually happy they got off to a 6-1 lead cause I felt then they had a chance. I try to be positive. I really do. I’m heading to the rusty c after Mother’s Day brunch and I’ll be there with hope and optimism but this 30+ year fan of tech baseball has resigned himself to bubble status and a regional appearance

Most teams in the acc have 2+ pitchers that throw 94+

We have one

imo-this is the biggest area of frustration I’ve had with the current staff. It isn’t lack of recruiting pitching talent. It’s the development part that is sorely lacking through the years whereas it is the complete opposite over the offense.

I’m very pleased so far with Matt Taylor but it’ll take time to truly see how effective he is

When you have Zach M with the reds listed as the 12th best overall prospect and he is listed as a bullpen flame thrower…how does he not have extraordinary success at tech

X Curry and C Thomas are both near mlb rosters

Marquis Jr is in the minors

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Many people I spoke with yesterday expressed their frustration with the offense leaving risp numerous times yesterday with one out or less but my question is ...
How many runs is enough? 10 isn't good enough...that's my frustration..

Jesus, a 455 RISP isn't good enough to get it done? As you said, not the problem. I wish we had bunted more with runners on third ...... {:troll}

1715523575602.png

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Another example of player development at pitching

Tate is a national top 125 recruit

He’s performing as a top recruit as a freshman that is getting used to the college game.

I’d also point out, he was also thrust into a starters role because this staff has failed into developing Cam into the pitcher that the cape league staff got out of him

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Another example of player development at pitching

Tate is a national top 125 recruit

He’s performing as a top recruit as a freshman that is getting used to the college game.

I’d also point out, he was also thrust into a starters role because this staff has failed into developing Cam into the pitcher that the cape league staff got out of him
I agree we have sustained below average pitching. Not good. However, [& a nuanced question for the more learned]... is it fair to look at MLB success & extrapolate backwards & assume GT did something wrong or bad to that player? The resources (& time) for MLB player development can't be compared to college. Some of that positive development should be attributed to that... I think. Can't necessarily be assumed same development was "missed" at GT.

Again... a nuanced question/comment. The pitching record is clear. I'm still flummoxed by the fact there was clearly an emphasis & upgrade with facilities & hiring of DBo. It's not like they're not trying (last 5 years or so) None of that has worked.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I agree we have sustained below average pitching. Not good. However, [& a nuanced question for the more learned]... is it fair to look at MLB success & extrapolate backwards & assume GT did something wrong or bad to that player? The resources (& time) for MLB player development can't be compared to college. Some of that positive development should be attributed to that... I think. Can't necessarily be assumed same development was "missed" at GT.

Again... a nuanced question/comment. The pitching record is clear. I'm still flummoxed by the fact there was clearly an emphasis & upgrade with facilities & hiring of DBo. It's not like they're not trying (last 5 years or so) None of that has worked.
Fred, I agree. MLB has a lot more eyes and experience that can notice what may or may not work for a given pitcher.

I've brought up Mike Vasil from UVA before. Highly rated recruit out of high school, went to UVA and they tried to change his pitching style. Had an underwhelming career at UVA. Mets drafted him, changed his pitching style closer to how it was in high school, and he is now the #11 prospect in the Mets organization. Has struggled at AAA so far, but shows how even a program that has been known for pitching can screw someone up.

Another example is Christian Scott. Used primarily as a reliever at Florida, again another school known for it's pitching, the Mets transitioned him to a starter and changed his pitch mix. He is now the #5 prospect in the Mets organization and #100 overall on MLB.com. So far he has a 2.84 ERA in 2 starts with 12.2 IP, 11 H, 4 ER, 1 HR, 3 BB, and 14 K's in MLB. And those starts were against Tampa Bay and Atlanta.

Even the best college programs known for pitching have misses that MLB can "clean up". When you're a program not known for pitching, it's just more evident. Just my opinion, of course.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Estimating that there are many CDH detractors who would like a different voice for this program, I do not think it’s that crazy that those who don’t want Hall back and believe our pitching is substandard for the post season would rather see us lose and not qualify. I’m not one of them, but I understand their perspective.
If there is a good thing about where we are this year, we can still win ourselves in. If we don't win a few of these games like yesterday, we don't really deserve to be in. If we get in, I will be proud of them.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Huge series win! The one thing that I hate about baseball is that McKee doesn't get credited for the win even though he absolutely deserved it, and Stanford gets the win even though we were put behind by the HR he gave up.
Right up there with stupid RPI math. Antiquated arbitrary W/L for pitchers.

I actually have a theory [& if true my biggest Hall gripe]... he thinks pitching Ws matter. ...& leaves guys in too long [mostly] in the 5th with a lead]

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Was your kid on the 3rd base rail, you wearing one of those Army type hats?
Gt33

I wish

He was with his mama and bulldog step pops for Mother’s Day cheering on the jackets from n Forsyth.

I was on the 1b side having fun with the puke fans that were big time mouthy