Dorms

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Perry gang. Floor 3. I can still see my window every time I drive past on 75/85-S.
I was Perry, until Tech acquired the Olympic housing from State and I moved to North Ave. In both instances I learned to sleep with highway noises. Now I use a white noise machine as a crutch.

JacketMicMan

Georgia Tech Fan
Freshman year (fall of ‘73-spring of ‘74) in Smith, facing south. Great view of the downtown skyline and the Delta time/temperature sign (as well as Junior’s 😀).
Freshman year ‘88 in Smith 3rd floor facing south. First weekend on campus looking south from my dorm room and saw a high speed car crash on North Avenue where one car went through the fence and landed on the cars below grade in Techwood parking lot. Would rather have seen the Delta sign.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Freshman 09, First floor Hansen then mostly NAV (one summer on West though). We were below the barrier wall for 75/85 so that noise wasn't too bad, our problem was people smoking weed/throwing used joints down the steam access well behind the building. Stank the place up.

Flajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
LOL!
Towers 73-74 Freshman ( Room 230, facing west...Hotter than Hell....)
Caldwell 74-75 Sophmore (still had that new car smell..)
April 8, 1974....Towers dorm...windows open...about 8pm...Area 1 explodes....loudest noise I'd ever heard...
What happened? (No fair Googling date......)
You were down the hall from me, I was in 220. Looks like the room numbers have been changed.

There was another explosion November 19, 1973.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Techwood > Cloudman > Towers > Brown

Again....

1672354586839.png

We are talking mere steps away from the trinity of Tech dining....the V, Junior's and Brittain Dining Hall. A two minute stroll to Pyro's and Pippins. Sure we lost a lot of good men there during freshmen year and it was sad to see them pack up and head off to Valdosta, Mercer , West Ga. and Uga but,as sad as it was, we who stayed on were quietly thankful that our number had not come up yet. We can admit that now after all these years.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I stayed in Towers dorm for three years. i'm not sure what my problem was.:banghead::hungover:
You didn't stay long enough. I was there 5 years. First floor for 2, then third floor for 3. Loved every minute of it.

Although, I do remember the first time I set foot in the building was before move-in day, probably in late August '82. One of the outside doors was open and my date and I went inside and the door to either 114 or 116 was open, so we checked it out. I was gonna be across the hall (couryard side) in 117. Anyway, I was sobered at how truly grim the room was. Two beat to **** green wardrobes, a matching chest of drawers, an even older set of bunks, and a pair of chewed up desks with ratty chairs. Brown splotchy vinyl floors and a steam radiator by the window. Reviewing the history of the place, the only upgrade to the building since it was built in '48 (?) was the addition of a phone jack in every room. Oh, and the windows - those were updated with the ongoing interstate expansion to help with noise. A totally wasted expense given that almost every room kept the window open 24/7 since it was pretty hot in the building 90% of the year. Speaking of hot, I remember dead week in about '86 when there was a bad heat wave and it was 95F or better in the building even at midnight. Not so good for sleep.

The other thing I remember from the mid-80's were the Clyde Bricks and Clyde Posts that took over the campus. The bricks were decorative sidewalk additions to spruce things up. Unfortunately, the P-plant only worked on them from 8-9:30 AM every day, with a wetsaw running somewhere on 3rd street for 1.5 hours every morning beginning precisely at 8:00AM. I bet the p-plant guys got a laugh out of waking up 1,000 college students... Every morning for a year or more. The Clyde posts were 4x4's with chains strung between them to define walk paths around campus with the side benefit of the possibility of seriously injuring people throwing frisbees and footballs. Why were they called Clyde Bricks and Clyde Posts... Because they were the brainchild of Clyde Robbins, who was over the P-plant and other campus maintenance/repair/beautification operations.

Last time I was in Towers (10+ years ago) it had been updated with air conditioning and carpet. Also, they fit an elevator into the lobby/stairwell so you presumably didn't need to schlep a sofa up 2.5 sets of stairs if you wanted one on the 3rd floor.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
You didn't stay long enough. I was there 5 years. First floor for 2, then third floor for 3. Loved every minute of it.

Although, I do remember the first time I set foot in the building was before move-in day, probably in late August '82. One of the outside doors was open and my date and I went inside and the door to either 114 or 116 was open, so we checked it out. I was gonna be across the hall (couryard side) in 117. Anyway, I was sobered at how truly grim the room was. Two beat to **** green wardrobes, a matching chest of drawers, an even older set of bunks, and a pair of chewed up desks with ratty chairs. Brown splotchy vinyl floors and a steam radiator by the window. Reviewing the history of the place, the only upgrade to the building since it was built in '48 (?) was the addition of a phone jack in every room. Oh, and the windows - those were updated with the ongoing interstate expansion to help with noise. A totally wasted expense given that almost every room kept the window open 24/7 since it was pretty hot in the building 90% of the year. Speaking of hot, I remember dead week in about '86 when there was a bad heat wave and it was 95F or better in the building even at midnight. Not so good for sleep.

The other thing I remember from the mid-80's were the Clyde Bricks and Clyde Posts that took over the campus. The bricks were decorative sidewalk additions to spruce things up. Unfortunately, the P-plant only worked on them from 8-9:30 AM every day, with a wetsaw running somewhere on 3rd street for 1.5 hours every morning beginning precisely at 8:00AM. I bet the p-plant guys got a laugh out of waking up 1,000 college students... Every morning for a year or more. The Clyde posts were 4x4's with chains strung between them to define walk paths around campus with the side benefit of the possibility of seriously injuring people throwing frisbees and footballs. Why were they called Clyde Bricks and Clyde Posts... Because they were the brainchild of Clyde Robbins, who was over the P-plant and other campus maintenance/repair/beautification operations.

Last time I was in Towers (10+ years ago) it had been updated with air conditioning and carpet. Also, they fit an elevator into the lobby/stairwell so you presumably didn't need to schlep a sofa up 2.5 sets of stairs if you wanted one on the 3rd floor.
Welp, we hoofed the same ground. '83-'86 in Towers. If you were 117 in '83 then we were on the same wing - don't remember # but 2nd or 3rd from end on tunnel/75 side. Then in the corner room next year - maybe 102? Then far end the next year in the closest room to the interstate. Sure we met at some point with all the open doors to keep a breeze going.

I "fondly" recall the hot temps that dead week, though I could swear it was 105 and not 95.

Yes, I also toured Towers back when my daughter was there for orientation (crap that's now 8 years ago, time flies). Totally different place indeed.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Welp, we hoofed the same ground. '83-'86 in Towers. If you were 117 in '83 then we were on the same wing - don't remember # but 2nd or 3rd from end on tunnel/75 side. Then in the corner room next year - maybe 102? Then far end the next year in the closest room to the interstate. Sure we met at some point with all the open doors to keep a breeze going.

I "fondly" recall the hot temps that dead week, though I could swear it was 105 and not 95.

Yes, I also toured Towers back when my daughter was there for orientation (crap that's now 8 years ago, time flies). Totally different place indeed.
I know exactly who you are. You and I had a horiffic calculus class with some German prof back in the day. Just brutal.

For what it worth, I'm having lunch today with another Towers cohort.