Dontae Smith should be our Robert Godhigh and Charlie Rogers

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
He has been our most explosive player by far the last year and some change. They have got to get him on the field in some capacity 80 percent of the game. Kick Return Punt Return Running Back and Slot Receiver. He’s to good of a player of what I seen the last two seasons to not be the majority of the time. Point Blank until I’m proven wrong!!!!!

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
There's no doubt the kid is a baller, but Gibbs and Mason have both been pretty good running the ball and blocking. He definitely needs more touches though. In order to do so, our offense and defense both need to perform better.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I love Dontae, but I just think his playing style is suited best for going against a tired D rather than being the back they see out of the gate. He’s not the type of running back who can bruise an opponent like Mason or juke out everyone like Gibbs. But when he’s going against a D that’s been on the field and is tired, he’s perfect for us.

That being said, he should have more than 17 snaps in two games (albeit he’s carried the ball nine times of those 17 snaps).

MidtownJacket

Staff member
What a great problem to have. I like what we saw with the two back sets last week and hope we have more of that with Gibbs motioning out into the slot. Mason was a dang head hunter back there picking up PassPro duty. We are going to need everyone doing everything they can to put this one to bed.

Fail College Football GIF by Clemson Tigers

God willing this is what they'll do all game?

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
He has been our most explosive player by far the last year and some change. They have got to get him on the field in some capacity 80 percent of the game. Kick Return Punt Return Running Back and Slot Receiver. He’s to good of a player of what I seen the last two seasons to not be the majority of the time. Point Blank until I’m proven wrong!!!!!
I like this take. I actually said early last season (here on this board somewhere) that I personally thought Dontae was more explosive/impressed me more than Gibbs did/does, and let’s just say it wasn’t a shared thought by many! Lol. Glad to see some more fans noticing Smiths’ abilities.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Three different running backs for sure. I like Mason banging early and making tacklers pay. I would then sprinkle in Smith to start getting the defense gassed. Gibbs would be my last guy who, when the defense is slower, swivels his hips twice, cuts once, and takes it to the house.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Three different running backs for sure. I like Mason banging early and making tacklers pay. I would then sprinkle in Smith to start getting the defense gassed. Gibbs would be my last guy who, when the defense is slower, swivels his hips twice, cuts once, and takes it to the house.
I really think Smith has more game changing potential than Gibbs. I’m still not overly impressed with Gibbs given the hype, but something about Smith excites me every time he touches the ball. Can’t really describe it, but there’s a feeling there. I remember sitting at a game in BDS with my dad last year and saw Smith come into the game, and something about the way he carried himself made me lean over to my dad and say “Smith is taking it home on this play”…and damned if he didn’t!

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I really think Smith has more game changing potential than Gibbs. I’m still not overly impressed with Gibbs given the hype, but something about Smith excites me every time he touches the ball. Can’t really describe it, but there’s a feeling there. I remember sitting at a game in BDS with my dad last year and saw Smith come into the game, and something about the way he carried himself made me lean over to my dad and say “Smith is taking it home on this play”…and damned if he didn’t!
Smith is a great player, but he's not on the level of Gibbs IMO.

Gibbs is special. It's the little things with him that make him great. His footwork in the trash, how he sets up blocks, his ability to go from 0-100, and his ability to cut at speed that separate him from Smith or any other back in the ACC probably. Go see what both Dabo and Venables had to say about him this week.

Smith is really good at getting a foot in the ground and getting up field. He's fast and explosive in his own right, but Gibbs it truly special.

That being said, we have a good problem of trying to get these backs the ball. I think Griffin is actually an explosive back as well, he just doesn't get the opportunities.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
What a great problem to have. I like what we saw with the two back sets last week and hope we have more of that with Gibbs motioning out into the slot. Mason was a dang head hunter back there picking up PassPro duty. We are going to need everyone doing everything they can to put this one to bed.

I like seeing the two back set, too. I don't know if Mason is more valuable as a runner or a blocker - he's a great asset either way. Needs to be on the field as much as possible, IMO.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Bold statement cotton

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
2kTae will get his chance to shine. RBs get dinged a lot, or need a breather. It’s a long season, but I’m glad we have him ready to go when they call his number.

I think we haven’t utilized him enough, but we haven’t needed to yet. Going into murderers row now, we gonna need him.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
CTC talks to the guys about staying ready so they don't have to get ready. He has the body of work to back that up (not all the coaching staff do) and I think we are seeing the results of it in the RB room.

2KTae even mentions in the last interview that the team preaches this and that CTC said at one point everything he wanted would be in front of him and he just needs to prepare to take advantage of it. He is living that now.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Good read.

I like the comp Gibbs uses from a style standpoint. His style is similar to Etienne as I mentioned above. He gets his foot in the ground and explodes through any hole there.

He’s obviously a great kid too, but that’s not surprising. We’ve got a lot of those.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We have weapons at the skilled positions. Several. Gibbs, Smith, McGowan are special with speed. On the outside some of these young WR’s are deadly fast. The problem for GT and the reason they have been squandered are the OLine is below average, the QB play has been below average, and the offensive coach is a plain Jane vanilla. I can only imagine what a Friedgen could do with our current weapons. Of course he would come up and tear the OLine a new one so his weapons could be utilized. He wouldn’t be their friend. But, yes, Smith needs to see the field.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer

This is a good omen. Thank you.