Dontae Smith should be our Robert Godhigh and Charlie Rogers

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
We have weapons at the skilled positions. Several. Gibbs, Smith, McGowan are special with speed. On the outside some of these young WR’s are deadly fast. The problem for GT and the reason they have been squandered are the OLine is below average, the QB play has been below average, and the offensive coach is a plain Jane vanilla. I can only imagine what a Friedgen could do with our current weapons. Of course he would come up and tear the OLine a new one so his weapons could be utilized. He wouldn’t be their friend. But, yes, Smith needs to see the field.
That's why I think it's important to have Mason in there as a blocker (but can also carry the rock), both in the run and pass. Like to see him paired back there with either Gibbs or Dontae.

Can't say I concur about the QB play being below average, not when Yates has been in there.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I like Smith but wow people are getting ahead of themselves.
Yeah, but just a little. If his ypc keeps being ahead of others, then we will have our answer. I would love to see him more often isolated on LBs for short to mid range passes. His first steps are big league and will help whether the opposing D is tired or not. As for this Sat, ask ugag's 4 & 5 star RBs along with their 4 & 5 star OL, what we can expect.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Sure would have liked to see Dontae in there for a couple of those <5 yard TD attempts. He's got a nose for the EZ and speed kills. Better yet, but him at flanker right with a WR out wide, Mason at FB, Gibbs at HB in an I-formation. Motion left, power left with Mason and Gibbs leading the sweep on an RPO with the TE dragging right and a naked bootleg right if they flow left (with the WR on a hard slant to pull the CB). If they flow left, pass or run based on if the safety covers the TE or closes to cut off the QB run. I'm a $1MM/year OC in my own mind!

But seriously, would I have liked to see more DS on those red zone plays.