Do your job

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Clips didn't work for me either, but I would love to see what you're talking about!

I will guess its what i have been preaching. Aggressive schemes lead to better tackling, harder hits, and disruption because you are closer in position to your man. You dont have to close as much space and angles get easier. As such. Working through blocks become more simple and aggressive because your contain responsibility is simpler and actually it some cases you dont have it. You pound the offensive not ride and wait.

@Ibeeballin let me know what i missed ;)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Who would have dreamed that the leader of the "black watch " would play with large - no make that "giant" db cushions on wr .

Throughout Saturdays game CNW consistently had our DBs playing with a sizable cushion and backpedaling at the snap on third downs. The problem was never the alignment but the execution. CNW has consistently shown he can get his players to execute. I am hoping to see that here at Tech.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Throughout Saturdays game CNW consistently had our DBs playing with a sizable cushion and backpedaling at the snap on third downs. The problem was never the alignment but the execution. CNW has consistently shown he can get his players to execute. I am hoping to see that here at Tech.

The first third down, third and long we had 10 defenders within 6 yards of the los. 1 man deep. I dont think i saw that once in the past 5 years. Even on the goaline. This is not playing deep. I will go through and look at the rest of the tape but from what i recall we played tighter and almost zero quarters coverage. Will just post the facts. Not saying you are wrong, watching the game live its hard for me to recall perfectly so I need to look at the tape. I will summarize in this thread

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
here is our work the first half on D on all 3rd downs. IMO, its a marked and dramatic difference in style.

3rd and 7

• 9 defenders at 6 yards, 10 at 7. Single deep S. couldn’t see covg

3rd and 15

• 8 defenders at 5 yards, 10 at 8. Single deep S. Classic 3 deep roll.
  • IMO on a 3rd and 15 I would consider this a pretty aggressive alignment; when 10 defenders are lined within half the yardage to get. In 3deep the outside corners have essentially man responsibility so they are going to backpedal. That’s the scheme. But the alignment was tight

3rd and 8

• 8 defenders in 5 yards of LOS. 1 at sticks, two S at 7 and 10 yard depths. 2 deep look, but appears they roll to cov 3 zone under. Top side DB takes far to large a drop; he lined up only 5 yards off but he didn’t need to backpedal so much. Sticks awareness was poor. For me again, this wasn’t big cushions, the topside DB screwed up IMO

3rd and 7

• 8 within 7 yards; camerawork poor no idea what the backside did. The second and 13 before this play, 9 were within 5 yards LOS. Watch the slot S. He never takes a step back. He stops and waits on the WR, classic don’t go before you know. This is opposite of what they were taught last year. 4:13 mark of the 1st Q. You can really see how because he didn’t bail, he remained in position for an easy tackle he just missed. If he bailed….that WR gets close to the 1st down as he doesn’t slow him down enough for curry to clean up. Classic difference in schemes here.

The first 3rd and short of the game. 3rd and 3. We line up in basically the same 3rd down alignment we have all game. Classic cov 3 look. All three dbs step TOWARD the wr at snap. Not away. The only guy who stepped away was the high side S. Never did this in years past. Another example of glaring difference in tightness and aggressiveness.

3rd and 5

• 8 guys within 5 yards LOS. Another cov 3 call. Slot S steps toward slot WR. Again, go before you know. The outside DBs do what they should in cov 3. As a result, QB went to slot WR again, but because our S was taught properly to step up and challenge, not bail, he made the stop right at the marker. Could have been short.

3rd and 8

• 9 lined within 6 yards of LOS. 10 within 8. Man D…man free I think. DB doesn’t bail or give too much cushion. Shoulda been a pick 6. Dropped. Again, tight coverage, no huge drops or bailiing

IMO, the scheme changes are glaring. It was almost always cov 3, 1-2 man. Never quarters. Cov 2 disguises that roll to 3 or man. Much tighter to the LOS. Slot dbs never drop always pressing up at snap. Only guys that bail at snap is the single high S, and the outter most DB's in cov 3, which is what the scheme asks for (but they line up at 5 yards). When I did a similar thing a year ago, we had anywhere from 4-5 defenders at least 7-8 yards off with the deepest being 12-15 yards. Its a big difference.

What all this shows on film is a Cov 3 team. What woody will do soon, maybe next week, is give the same looks but mix in more cov 2 and man, and half field coverages and mess with the QB...he is already putting on film things he can work off of to confuse reads. I can see it in the designs presnap. It will be obvious to opposing coaches too. The thing is you just don't know what he is going to call when. He will mix it in.

Last edited:

MidtownJacket

Staff member
here is our work the first half on D on all 3rd downs. IMO, its a marked and dramatic difference in style.

3rd and 7

• 9 defenders at 6 yards, 10 at 7. Single deep S. couldn’t see covg

3rd and 15

• 8 defenders at 5 yards, 10 at 8. Single deep S. Classic 3 deep roll.
  • IMO on a 3rd and 15 I would consider this a pretty aggressive alignment; when 10 defenders are lined within half the yardage to get. In 3deep the outside corners have essentially man responsibility so they are going to backpedal. That’s the scheme. But the alignment was tight

3rd and 8

• 8 defenders in 5 yards of LOS. 1 at sticks, two S at 7 and 10 yard depths. 2 deep look, but appears they roll to cov 3 zone under. Top side DB takes far to large a drop; he lined up only 5 yards off but he didn’t need to backpedal so much. Sticks awareness was poor. For me again, this wasn’t big cushions, the topside DB screwed up IMO

3rd and 7

• 8 within 7 yards; camerawork poor no idea what the backside did. The second and 13 before this play, 9 were within 5 yards LOS. Watch the slot S. He never takes a step back. He stops and waits on the WR, classic don’t go before you know. This is opposite of what they were taught last year. 4:13 mark of the 1st Q. You can really see how because he didn’t bail, he remained in position for an easy tackle he just missed. If he bailed….that WR gets close to the 1st down as he doesn’t slow him down enough for curry to clean up. Classic difference in schemes here.

The first 3rd and short of the game. 3rd and 3. We line up in basically the same 3rd down alignment we have all game. Classic cov 3 look. All three dbs step TOWARD the wr at snap. Not away. The only guy who stepped away was the high side S. Never did this in years past. Another example of glaring difference in tightness and aggressiveness.

3rd and 5

• 8 guys within 5 yards LOS. Another cov 3 call. Slot S steps toward slot WR. Again, go before you know. The outside DBs do what they should in cov 3. As a result, QB went to slot WR again, but because our S was taught properly to step up and challenge, not bail, he made the stop right at the marker. Could have been short.

3rd and 8

• 9 lined within 6 yards of LOS. 10 within 8. Man D…man free I think. DB doesn’t bail or give too much cushion. Shoulda been a pick 6. Dropped. Again, tight coverage, no huge drops or bailiing

IMO, the scheme changes are glaring. It was almost always cov 3, 1-2 man. Never quarters. Cov 2 disguises that roll to 3 or man. Much tighter to the LOS. Slot dbs never drop always pressing up at snap. Only guys that bail at snap is the single high S, and the outter most DB's in cov 3, which is what the scheme asks for (but they line up at 5 yards). When I did a similar thing a year ago, we had anywhere from 4-5 defenders at least 7-8 yards off with the deepest being 12-15 yards. Its a big difference.

What all this shows on film is a Cov 3 team. What woody will do soon, maybe next week, is give the same looks but mix in more cov 2 and man, and half field coverages and mess with the QB...he is already putting on film things he can work off of to confuse reads. I can see it in the designs presnap. It will be obvious to opposing coaches too. The thing is you just don't know what he is going to call when. He will mix it in.
Really appreciate your breakdowns. It is great to match these up to the tape too and know what to watch for. I just went through and did this and see what you mean about being mindful of the tape you're building for opposing coaches / players. This is the essence of the pure vanilla strategy as well to protect our ability to do new things when not expected. Really excited for the future under CNW

Wreckaholic

Georgia Tech Fan
Thanks 33- really appreciate the insight and breakdown!

Obviously a lot will come to execution, but how do you think what you have seen so far, coupled with our talent will do against teams like Clemson or UGA? One thing I noticed about the little of the FSU-VT game was how FSU kept putting smaller defenders on an island against much bigger receivers and would just heave the ball. Do we run similar risks?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Thanks 33- really appreciate the insight and breakdown!

Obviously a lot will come to execution, but how do you think what you have seen so far, coupled with our talent will do against teams like Clemson or UGA? One thing I noticed about the little of the FSU-VT game was how FSU kept putting smaller defenders on an island against much bigger receivers and would just heave the ball. Do we run similar risks?

Our dbs are not 5-7 like that little fsu guy. With that said by nature of the cov 3 u will have plenty deep 1 on 1s with the wr. Its the risk you take when you want to be aggressive in the middle of the field. Key for us will be mixing it up and let them guess as well as making sure our db are comfortable in matchups.

Wreckaholic

Georgia Tech Fan
Thx! The extra LBs and speed may also help with the teams that like the short, quick passes. They may still complete them, but if we tackle then hopefully limit yards after catch.. Like how we defended the quick passes to the WRs and slots.