DL could be really, really good

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Hard to disagree with about anything here, but just to note: in the first half against FSU we held the ball almost 20 minutes. They had it 10. They led, 28-21. Ball control has to be accompanied by defense.
Do not take this as being argumentative but no one is arguing that defense isn't important. Games have ebbs and flows in them and last year Tech made exquisite use of its offense to control ebb and flow as much as possible. You mention FSU, and well you should. They played by far the best game of their entire season against us and still the game was a toss up. Tech's much maligned defense held them to 3 field goals in the second half, while Tech's offense scored 2 touchdowns. Again, given our talent deficits on defense, we gave ourselves absolutely the best chance possible to win that game. CPJ looked deeply disappointed about losing that game but FSU decided, for some reason, to play an almost perfect game that night.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Do not take this as being argumentative but no one is arguing that defense isn't important. Games have ebbs and flows in them and last year Tech made exquisite use of its offense to control ebb and flow as much as possible. You mention FSU, and well you should. They played by far the best game of their entire season against us and still the game was a toss up. Tech's much maligned defense held them to 3 field goals in the second half, while Tech's offense scored 2 touchdowns. Again, given our talent deficits on defense, we gave ourselves absolutely the best chance possible to win that game. CPJ looked deeply disappointed about losing that game but FSU decided, for some reason, to play an almost perfect game that night.
Doesn't bother me at all, and I agree that of all nights FSU decided to show up and play. But my real argument was that while you can make a real argument for ball control, a as long as you score at the end, without defense it is going to waste. Moreover I think debilitating to an offense to have the opponent race up and down the field to get back the score it worked so hard for. I think the argument can be made that in the first half GT was almost perfect, right up to the end of it, and still went into the tunnel a TD down. In the second half we were less than perfect between the beginning and the end, and it cost. But yes, Johnson was disappointed. We all were, though. They were there for the taking. I just want the defense to be better. Hope for a lot better. Might have to settle for a bit better.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Thanks, 87! I knew you could retrieve that info. Is it just me, or did anyone else notice the defense playing with attitude in the November games?

Defense played better period when we moved to a more aggressive scheme post UNC game. And after they got more and more comfortable in a more blitz package/playing up scheme they got better and better too...but still not great in applying pressure and getting off the field. But still...played alot better.

We need to keep that scheme, and continue to grow in it.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Where did we rank if we consider only November games?

For point/drive defense, I can't get GT in November only. Here's what I have
Weeks 1-8 (GT's 1st 7 games): #115
Weeks 1-12 (GT's 1st 11 games): #93
... Weeks 9-12 (GT's games 8-11): #26
Weeks 1-15 (GT's games 1-14): #111
... Weeks 9-15 (GT's games 8-14): #93
... Weeks 12-15 (GT's games 12-14): #124

We need to keep in mind that the stat on which this ranking is based has not been adjusted for strength of opposition, as is the case with redzone TD% and any other raw stat. Witht that in mind, it may be helpful to remember that in November we played UVA (#90 in ppd off) and CU (#79 in ppd off). We also got important turnovers vs NC State (#30) and Pitt (#18, Pitt was in the last week of October but included in my weeks 9-12 stat). Obviously, we played some great offenses in our last three games, so it goes both ways.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Yes & No. Yes, it's pretty good, but we were also #95 in redzone attempts allowed, which is even worse when you consider how we limit possessions. 26% of twice as many is like 50%.

While the numbers you're quoting do seem concerning, I try to focus more on the following when I look at the Defense:

From November through the end of the 2014 campaign, Georgia Tech' Defense ranked 14th among Power 5 teams in Total QBR (31.7), 21st in rushing yards allowed per game (138.8), fourth in interceptions (9) and 11th in points allowed per game (22.3).

Again, we're returning eight starters on defense, plus, if Jabari can step in and play I'd count that as nine, along with a lot of experienced depth, and suddenly, the Yellow Jacket Defense is actually on pace to hold serve with our offense, and we CAN compete for a National Championship.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
While the numbers you're quoting do seem concerning, I try to focus more on the following when I look at the Defense:

From November through the end of the 2014 campaign, Georgia Tech' Defense ranked 14th among Power 5 teams in Total QBR (31.7), 21st in rushing yards allowed per game (138.8), fourth in interceptions (9) and 11th in points allowed per game (22.3).

Again, we're returning eight starters on defense, plus, if Jabari can step in and play I'd count that as nine, along with a lot of experienced depth, and suddenly, the Yellow Jacket Defense is actually on pace to hold serve with our offense, and we CAN compete for a National Championship.
great reply!!!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

If that comes to pass, and if, a big if, we can get a pass rush -- FSU and MSU put up frightening numbers downfield, and frankly I did not think the MSU QB was all that good -- then good things are going to happen this fall. A guy can dream, can't he?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Hey, I'm on the bandwagon of reasons for optimism, in general. I'm just not sold on seeing lots of evidence last year. Imo, Wofford was fired for having a worse year. If you want to say the difference is talent, say it.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Hey, I'm on the bandwagon of reasons for optimism, in general. I'm just not sold on seeing lots of evidence last year. Imo, Wofford was fired for having a worse year. If you want to say the difference is talent, say it.
One of my oldest friends, an actual GT grad no less, but kind of a passing football fan, once shared his opinion of our defensive woes.It is that because of a mix of various circumstances and interests, GT does not attract the kind of player a good defense needs. That is the mean, nasty and ill-tempered kid who goes out there to hurt people. He figures the qualities that make a player suited for that made for a bad GT fit. I figured it was kind of elitist but sometimes I wonder if he was on to something. That was after Groh was fired, and as Johnson would say, it still is what it is. I hope we are both wrong, because it makes for hard Saturdays when the offense has to score every time it gets the ball.