DL could be really, really good

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It just occurred to me what happens if JHD does, in fact, make grades and lives up to his hype? What if Kallon has finally turned the corner? What if Whitehead is the real deal, too? What if Keshun is bigger and better than last year? What if Simmons or Merriweather gain significant weight and don't lose speed? What if Gotsis and Gamble get just incrementally better as most players do? What if we get any kind of contribution from the true frosh?

I know, a lot of what ifs, right? But we're always wondering about the possibility of bad things happening, what if good things happen? A lot of those things above have a better'n average chance of happening.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
It just occurred to me what happens if JHD does, in fact, make grades and lives up to his hype? What if Kallon has finally turned the corner? What if Whitehead is the real deal, too? What if Keshun is bigger and better than last year? What if Simmons or Merriweather gain significant weight and don't lose speed? What if Gotsis and Gamble get just incrementally better as most players do? What if we get any kind of contribution from the true frosh?

I know, a lot of what ifs, right? But we're always wondering about the possibility of bad things happening, what if good things happen? A lot of those things above have a better'n average chance of happening.
I've been wondering the same thing for every position! This depth is unreal for Ga.T. Once the frosh get here even the ab's bb's and wr's will look real good! THEN JUST WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are losing focus. We are, and should continue to be, an offense first program. The rise of the defense cannot be allowed to take the spotlight off of the offensive stars.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Probably the usual gold colored shades, but I am more or less expecting most of those things to happen. My big question has always been what we'll do about Green's spot. Kallon's coming on is a happy surprise. Before, it seemed to me anyway, it was either Jabari makes the grades or we were in trouble there. FK gives us a second option. I'd more expect the DL to be a strength than not.

ultimatejacket

Georgia Tech Fan

At the risk of over simplifying what is likely a complex situation, I am inclined to think all of this really boils down to JHD. Kallon, Keshun, Simmons, and the rest is just icing on the cake. IMHO

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I've been on the bandwagon for a while now. I really believe our D has the potential not just to be better than last year, but to be a legitimate good unit. All those 3rd & longs we allowed to convert could have easily been reduced with just a credible pass rush. You take away even 1/3 of those and we suddenly look a whole lot better.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I've been on the bandwagon for a while now. I really believe our D has the potential not just to be better than last year, but to be a legitimate good unit. All those 3rd & longs we allowed to convert could have easily been reduced with just a credible pass rush. You take away even 1/3 of those and we suddenly look a whole lot better.

You are not kidding. The way the offense has been working, all we needed was an extra stop or two in a game and we have a shot to win. UNC or FSU would have been wins if we had just been able to hold them on a 3rd and long a little better than we did.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer

I think this is all realistic. Based on the end of last season, I would come into the season more optimistic than even normally especially if JHD gets himself eligible.

Here's the best part-- I think we have to remember that we don't need to be a Top 10 defense to strengthen ourselves significantly. If all of this happens and we could even finish in the Top 25-30 in defense I think we put up a great season. Our offense makes that a real possibility.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think that I've said it before in this forum, but some of our best D was against CU and u[sic]ga when we used 3 down linemen and an extra linebacker (or even Freeman without a hand on the ground).

Fwiw, I still can't get my head around how bad our D was last year. I think every team, at least almost every team, did better against us than their average performance in stats like yards/play, 3rd down, and points/drive. I don't think our talent was that bad, so I really can't explain it. I comforted myself last year with the hope that our D signals were being ripped, but I'm not sure any more.

It will be really interesting to see how our D does this year, but it's hard for me to get too optimistic because I can't convince myself that our struggles were reducible to personnel. Go Jackets.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think that I've said it before in this forum, but some of our best D was against CU and u[sic]ga when we used 3 down linemen and an extra linebacker (or even Freeman without a hand on the ground).

Fwiw, I still can't get my head around how bad our D was last year. I think every team, at least almost every team, did better against us than their average performance in stats like yards/play, 3rd down, and points/drive. I don't think our talent was that bad, so I really can't explain it. I comforted myself last year with the hope that our D signals were being ripped, but I'm not sure any more.

It will be really interesting to see how our D does this year, but it's hard for me to get too optimistic because I can't convince myself that our struggles were reducible to personnel. Go Jackets.
All excellent points. The defense is, I think, at a "show me" point. Roof is in his 3rd year with a new contract, and in the ACCC game and Orange Bowl it surrendered 74 points and lord knows how much yardage. (I know one of the MSU TDs was kind of funky, but it counted for six points.) It's true they played better inside the 20, when a constricted field of play helped enormously, but giving up 600 or so yards elsewhere is not a formula to build on. Got my fingers crossed.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
It's been said many times that if Paul Johnson could get a Defense that would end up in the Top 30 or so; at least make stops more consistently than they have his first seasons, then the Yellow Jackets would have a chance to contend for Championships because our Offense has been consistently effective.

I said last season that I thought 2014 would be the springboard for a run at a National Championship in 2015, and I thought it would happen because the Defense would be under Ted Roof's control for a full three seasons, meaning the players should be playing instinctively rather than thinking so much, he'd be abe to put in more of his playbook, and he'd have had a chance to "cycle-out" Al Groh's 3-4 "players" (he recruited players for a 3-4 alignment that were different physically and different "positions"). Also, in 2015, I knew it was going to be a more experienced defense.

I anticipated the team would play better last season than most sportswriters were projecting, thinking 9 wins was very realistic, and that they had a good chance for a Top 25 ranking at the end of the season. I was concerned that Justin Thomas might need a bit of time getting acclimated to the speed of the game early, and I knew the back-end of the schedule was difficult and we've historically had injuries, which I was concerned might cost us a win or two. I was thrilled they exceeded even my expectations, and I stand by statements that I think they are well positioned to win it all next year.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
It's been said many times that if Paul Johnson could get a Defense that would end up in the Top 30 or so; at least make stops more consistently than they have his first seasons, then the Yellow Jackets would have a chance to contend for Championships because our Offense has been consistently effective.

I said last season that I thought 2014 would be the springboard for a run at a National Championship in 2015, and I thought it would happen because the Defense would be under Ted Roof's control for a full three seasons, meaning the players should be playing instinctively rather than thinking so much, he'd be abe to put in more of his playbook, and he'd have had a chance to "cycle-out" Al Groh's 3-4 "players" (he recruited players for a 3-4 alignment that were different physically and different "positions"). Also, in 2015, I knew it was going to be a more experienced defense.

I anticipated the team would play better last season than most sportswriters were projecting, thinking 9 wins was very realistic, and that they had a good chance for a Top 25 ranking at the end of the season. I was concerned that Justin Thomas might need a bit of time getting acclimated to the speed of the game early, and I knew the back-end of the schedule was difficult and we've historically had injuries, which I was concerned might cost us a win or two. I was thrilled they exceeded even my expectations, and I stand by statements that I think they are well positioned to win it all next year.
Glenn, you hit everything on the head. You aced it. The only thing that I didn't realize before the season that most of us missed on was the buy in of the system and the great leadership!! I felt the same as you and feel the same. That past and present tense!

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I don't know how you define average. I think JHD being a solid player (assuming grades) is pretty good. He should contribute a good bit if eligible. The rest of the guys I have hope in, but we were REALLY bad last year on the line. I think around #70 in sacks and tackles for loss if not worse. And we gave up something like 6+ yards rushing per play (excuse the stats, they are off the top of my head). We were bad in most DL metrics.

I like the optimism, but even getting JHD back, and even assuming a good deal of improvement up front, you are looking at an average or slightly above average line. I think that's probably all we need to give our offense some chances, especially if the sack total goes up. Realistically, you are going to see the turnover rate come down some so we will need the D to step up at the line.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I don't know how you define average. I think JHD being a solid player (assuming grades) is pretty good. He should contribute a good bit if eligible. The rest of the guys I have hope in, but we were REALLY bad last year on the line. I think around #70 in sacks and tackles for loss if not worse. And we gave up something like 6+ yards rushing per play (excuse the stats, they are off the top of my head). We were bad in most DL metrics.

I like the optimism, but even getting JHD back, and even assuming a good deal of improvement up front, you are looking at an average or slightly above average line. I think that's probably all we need to give our offense some chances, especially if the sack total goes up. Realistically, you are going to see the turnover rate come down some so we will need the D to step up at the line.
I live in a state whose motto is "To be, not to seem", a dig at those north and south, of us, and there has been too much seeming. Another thread ponders the otherwise innocuous question of who will have the best offense in the league; GT and UNC are expected to more or less duke it out. The better discussion might be who will have the worst defense, and there again UNC and GT may go to the mat. The coaches have to demand high standards and achievement. We may have to deal with reality, meaning maybe we'd better have the best offense. A 4th or 5th cup of coffee will brighten my day, but any thought of moving higher than the 7th or 8th we finished in the polls in '14 has to begin with a rebuilt defense. I'd love to see it, because a D that can hold for three or even four TDs will have us in the hunt.