DJ White - Sportscenter #5

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I hate to be a Debbie Downer (just call me Atomic) but that great play by White masked the horrid play by IJ. Go back and watch it again and look for #1, you'll want puke. If DJ hadn't saved his arse, we'd all be lambasting that kid, especially if we had lost.

edit: Sorry guys, make that both our safeties, Jamaal gets no pass for being out of position either.
Hey, we won.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Our secondary was supposed to be our strength this year. They have shown many holes. We seldom contest catches by our opponents. Receivers are so wide open, we make Heisman winners of QBs. It is not all the fact opponent QBs have a long time to throw.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Our secondary was supposed to be our strength this year. They have shown many holes. We seldom contest catches by our opponents. Receivers are so wide open, we make Heisman winners of QBs. It is not all the fact opponent QBs have a long time to throw.

yep
at some point you have to look at coaching--I noticed that last yr in the uva game we allowed their zippo QB to SET A RECORD for completions and yds for them,he had no other game like that

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
This brings me to a question I've had. Exactly what kind of job is Coach Joe Speed doing at coaching these guys up?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
IJ has been the most consistent player in our secondary this year outside DJ White. I don't think we need to rail on him for a bad play that happened once a RB got to our 3rd level of defense.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
IJ has been the most consistent player in our secondary this year outside DJ White. I don't think we need to rail on him for a bad play that happened once a RB got to our 3rd level of defense.

Both safeties have played hard in every game. I applaud them for giving their best effort. Both have helped us win games and have made some good plays and have gotten key turnovers. Fact is they also often miss tackles and get caught up out of position or lost in the traffic. Some of this is no doubt scheme where both are heavy in run support. Neither can catch anyone with speed. Bad angles and tight coverage are problems.

I have witnessed 6 long runs (2 in Spring game, Wofford , Ga So, Pitt, Fall Scrimmage) where there was no safety in a deep position to make a tackle or even to miss a tackle. Roof wants to stop the big play but often has the safeties up close and spread wide so they are not in position to help on a long run or pass in the deep middle. If you want to stop the big play I would think you need a safety in the deep middle (and one in run support). Apparently only White is fast enough to give meaningful chase (Wofford and Pitt). Its like playing baseball with an extra infielder and no centerfielder.

Our DL problems may be forcing Roof to use both safeties in run support and by necessity actually asking them to do more than is practical . My criticism may be unfair to the safeties in particular and maybe should be directed to the D in general including the coaching scheme?

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I dont like bashing any particular D players without having the knowledge to know what they are supposed to be doing out there. All I know is that when I watch other teams play... their safeties are always in the picture on long sideline passes. I rarely, if ever see our safeties helping over the top. These are just the differences I see in our games and other teams games.

Damn that was beautiful...reminds me of Wooford game (or GSU? Think it was wofford) he ran a looong way in a hurry to try to catch wofford guy on a long TD run and almost got him. I praised his hustle and speed that day. Both paid off for him today. Why does he ever play off with that kind of speed?ngreat game changing play
I think Conner is pretty speedy, too. White blew by Golden in a hurry.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
I hate to be a Debbie Downer (just call me Atomic) but that great play by White masked the horrid play by IJ. Go back and watch it again and look for #1, you'll want puke. If DJ hadn't saved his arse, we'd all be lambasting that kid, especially if we had lost.

edit: Sorry guys, make that both our safeties, Jamaal gets no pass for being out of position either.
Just wanted to point out IJ was named ACC defensive back of the week

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/102714aag.html

bcaff

Jolly Good Fellow
If DJ White can win some jump balls every once in a while, I think he could be one of the best corners in the NCAA. He has speed, he can cover well, he is one of our best tacklers, he has decent hands, and he can read QB's pretty well.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
He's missed on a couple and needs to clean that up a bit. Even the best corners miss those at times. Just needs to win his fair share and I think he will.