Divisional inter play results since 2013

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Assuming the data is correct I don’t see how it’s misleading. To me the OP was extremely fair to Johnson as I would have started in 15 which was the beginning of the downturn.

Regardless I appreciate what Johnson did here at GT and wish him well in retirement. He guided us through a difficult time and kept us respectable.
OP is utilizing the data to assess Tech’s performance under Johnson. As you noted, the data suggests UNC “did better over the given time period than [GT].” If your implication is that UNC performed better in the ACC during the given time period than Tech, the data has misled you. If your implication is that UNC experienced greater successes than Tech during the given time period, the data has misled you.

Deleted member 2897

Fair point. Interestingly UNC had a year this year similar to 15 for us and still did better over the given time period than us if these numbers are accurate.

UNC went 8-0 in ACC play a few years ago, which offsets a lot of 0.500 play. Over the last 5 years, we have 1 more overall ACC win than UNC does.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
UNC went 8-0 in ACC play a few years ago, which offsets a lot of 0.500 play. Over the last 5 years, we have 1 more overall ACC win than UNC does.
Yep

I would also say, I don't necessarily disagree with the five year rolling he used once he explained his justification. The problem is he says "results since 2013" which is definitely misleading.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Let's do the entire 6 year averages.

2013-2018 Overall Conference Record - Tech 4th place
Miami: 60.42%
VT: 56.25%
Pitt; 56.25%
GT: 52.08%
UNC: 47.92%
Duke: 45.83%
UVA: 29.17%

2013-2018 Inter-divisional Record - Tech tied for 3rd place
Miami: 63.89%
VT: 61.11%
GT; 50%
UNC: 50%
Pitt: 50%
Duke: 41.67%
UVA: 30.56%

If you want to cherry pick and remove the worst year from each team:
2013-2018 Overall Conference Record - Tech tied for 2nd place
Miami (2014 removed): 65%
VT (2014 removed): 60%
GT (2015 removed); 60%
Pitt (2013 removed): 60%
UNC (2018 removed): 55%
Duke (2016 removed): 52.5%
UVA (2013 removed): 35%

2013-2018 Inter-divisional Record - Tech 3rd place
Miami (2014 removed): 66.67%
VT (2014 removed): 63.33%
GT (2015 removed); 60%
UNC (2018 removed): 56.67%
Pitt (2013 removed): 53.33%
Duke (2016 removed): 46.67%
UVA (2013 removed): 36.67%

Fun Fact: Pitt has just 3 losses to the Atlantic division over the past 6 years. F'ing Syracuse ruining everything for everyone.

Deleted member 2897

Players stay on a team for 5 years with. RS my guess

Its because we're comparing against schools that largely have decent academics. If we were comparing our records with someone like say georgia, since only 41% of the kids there graduate in 6 years, we'd likely have to do a 7 or 8 year comparison period.

:cigar::beercheers:

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't have an issue looking at divisional records since you have to win your division in order to play in the championship game and 75% of your conference games come against the division.
Only once in the time period specified was the team to play in the Championship game not the team that won the most (or tied for won most) games in the conference - that was 2013 when VT was 5-1 in divisional games but lost out to Duke for the Championship game (who went 4-2 in the division) as Duke won its 2 cross divisional games and VT lost theirs.

GT is pretty much going 1-1 across division. it is 6-0 over this time period (2013-2018 when Pitt joined Coastal) against non Clemson Atlantic teams (With FSU being its lone ACC win in 2015) and 1-5 against Clemson during that span.
GT is a pretty ridiculous 13-1 against ACC teams they don't face every year under Johnson - which certainly lends some credence to the idea if you don't see it often Johnson's offense and program is really hard to beat.

Miami has been pretty unlucky (partially because they play FSU every year). They have not finished under .500 in division record over the last 6 years and twice been 5-1 and twice 4-2, yet only made the Championship Game once.

In terms of division games GT is 10-14 the last 4 years (which is 5th out of 7 teams, Mia has 17 wins, VT and Pitt 14 wins, UNC 12),
14-16 over 5 years (5th out of 7 teams, Miami has 20 wins, VT 17, UNC and Pitt 16), and
18-18 over 6 years (T3, Mia 24 wins, VT 22, GT, Pitt and UNC all have 18).

GT has one of only 2 winless division years, UVA has the other in 2013, and UNC has the only 6-0 year in division, in 2015 - same year GT went 0-6.

FWIW, the Division winners went 6-0 (UNC 2015), 5-1 (Miami 2017, VT 2016) and 4-2 (Pitt 2018, GT 2014 and Duke 2013).

Johnson had a good run of 11 years here, but it was certainly slightly weighted toward the earlier years - that should be expected given the ACC got stronger during his time in general and Clemson became a powerhouse.

But it is also fair to say he wasn't winning games consistently enough over the last 4-6 years in the division to be a consistent threat to win the Coastal.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't have an issue looking at divisional records since you have to win your division in order to play in the championship game and 75% of your conference games come against the division.
Only once in the time period specified was the team to play in the Championship game not the team that won the most (or tied for won most) games in the conference - that was 2013 when VT was 5-1 in divisional games but lost out to Duke for the Championship game (who went 4-2 in the division) as Duke won its 2 cross divisional games and VT lost theirs.

GT is pretty much going 1-1 across division. it is 6-0 over this time period (2013-2018 when Pitt joined Coastal) against non Clemson Atlantic teams (With FSU being its lone ACC win in 2015) and 1-5 against Clemson during that span.
GT is a pretty ridiculous 13-1 against ACC teams they don't face every year under Johnson - which certainly lends some credence to the idea if you don't see it often Johnson's offense and program is really hard to beat.

Miami has been pretty unlucky (partially because they play FSU every year). They have not finished under .500 in division record over the last 6 years and twice been 5-1 and twice 4-2, yet only made the Championship Game once.

In terms of division games GT is 10-14 the last 4 years (which is 5th out of 7 teams, Mia has 17 wins, VT and Pitt 14 wins, UNC 12),
14-16 over 5 years (5th out of 7 teams, Miami has 20 wins, VT 17, UNC and Pitt 16), and
18-18 over 6 years (T3, Mia 24 wins, VT 22, GT, Pitt and UNC all have 18).

GT has one of only 2 winless division years, UVA has the other in 2013, and UNC has the only 6-0 year in division, in 2015 - same year GT went 0-6.

FWIW, the Division winners went 6-0 (UNC 2015), 5-1 (Miami 2017, VT 2016) and 4-2 (Pitt 2018, GT 2014 and Duke 2013).

Johnson had a good run of 11 years here, but it was certainly slightly weighted toward the earlier years - that should be expected given the ACC got stronger during his time in general and Clemson became a powerhouse.

But it is also fair to say he wasn't winning games consistently enough over the last 4-6 years in the division to be a consistent threat to win the Coastal.

I think all of this is good stuff, but I hesitate to draw conclusions about the success of the offense based on W-L. While it wasn't a major feature of this post, it happens way too often.

I said at the beginning of this season that if we didn't hit certain benchmarks under CNW then I would be more open to our O negatively impacting our D performance (whether from practice time or the psychology I don't know). So, I admit that I am. I'm not 100% convinced and would've liked to see another year under CNW, but it's a lot more likely to be the case than I had previously thought.

With that being said, I want to reiterate that we shouldn't draw conclusions about the success of the offense versus teams that see it frequently or not based on W-L. A lot of our L's came in games where our O still way over-performed against opposition D.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Are we trying to figure out whether or not Johnson merits a huge bronze statue, a medium sized one or a plaque on the side of a wall somewhere? These next 16 days can’t go by fast enough for me. Can’t we just be happy we’ve had a tremendous amount of success & hope the new guy brings bigly huger amounts of success in the future? I mean when you look at it, the last time the program really sucked was between Ross & O’Leary and you had to go to Curry’s early years to find the previous patch of suck. That’s not really all that bad a track record for a bunch of nerds sporting pocket protectors now is it?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
A lot of our L's came in games where our O still way over-performed against opposition D.
We have been incredibly spoiled on the offensive side of the ball. It's going to take some adjustments as a fan to not go into every game feeling like we have to score a td on 40% of our drives to win.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I didn't cherry pick. It was a rainy weekend with no golf and I just picked some data I thought would best represent of where we are regarding INTRA divisional play since we all play each other. 5 year moving average is common way to show trends. Sorry about the grammar, I am an ingineer. [emoji4]
As Boaty said, it is just data, take it how you wish. I still stand by what I said because it does, to me, relate to how we stack up in our division. Will be interesting to see with a new coach coming in which direction it will trend in the coming years.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Are we trying to figure out whether or not Johnson merits a huge bronze statue, a medium sized one or a plaque on the side of a wall somewhere? These next 16 days can’t go by fast enough for me. Can’t we just be happy we’ve had a tremendous amount of success & hope the new guy brings bigly huger amounts of success in the future? I mean when you look at it, the last time the program really sucked was between Ross & O’Leary and you had to go to Curry’s early years to find the previous patch of suck. That’s not really all that bad a track record for a bunch of nerds sporting pocket protectors now is it?

This x 1000. Why in god's name are we still starting threads about why CPJ was/wasn't doing enough to justify his job? Lets simply thank him for his success, particularly thank him for the way he moved on, and lets all focus on supporting our new coaching hire.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Fair point. Interestingly UNC had a year this year similar to 15 for us and still did better over the given time period than us if these numbers are accurate.

UNC was decimated by injuries more last year than this year. Maybe worse than 15 was for us.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This x 1000. Why in god's name are we still starting threads about why CPJ was/wasn't doing enough to justify his job? Lets simply thank him for his success, particularly thank him for the way he moved on, and lets all focus on supporting our new coaching hire.

The hatred runs deep in some of the posters here...

f9085f84d1bb7edcc72e4e2e0b1cd24a03624d92aa0ac5a69eeffb2ab151e84d.jpg

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Fine. Good. Then lets ALL move on.

I agree.

I also ask you to find an Anti-CGC post from a CPJ supporter.

By "Anti-CGC post," I mean a post that says he will do a bad job and we should not have hired him.

So, excluded from my request are posts which say we don't know how good he'll be yet or if he'll get better results than CPJ yet.

Now, ask yourself if you can find more posts which speak negatively about CPJ.