Divisional inter play results since 2013

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I have calculated won/loss averages for all divisional teams from 2013 to 2018 in inter divisional play only and calculated 5 year moving averages for years 2013-2017 and 2014-2018. I started at year 2013 because that was the first year that Pitt entered divisional play. I believe this data gives an accurate view of where Tech stands in relation to the other teams in the coastal division. I also believe it, and the fact that Duke has beaten us in 4 out of 5 games, shows that Tstan’s judgment to move away from the PJ tree at this time is justified if Tech is to strive for excellence in its FB program. The 5 year averages are listed below:

2013-2017- Tech tied for 4th place
Miami: 70.0%
VT: 63.3%
UNC; 56.7%
GT: 46.7%
Pitt: 46.7%
Duke:40.0%
UVA: 26.7%

2014-2018- Tech 5th place
Miami: 66.7%
VT: 56.7%
UNC; 53.3%
Pitt: 53.3%
Duke: 36.7%
UVA: 36.7%

Deleted member 2897

I have calculated won/loss averages for all divisional teams from 2013 to 2018 in inter divisional play only and calculated 5 year moving averages for years 2013-2017 and 2014-2018. I started at year 2013 because that was the first year that Pitt entered divisional play. I believe this data gives an accurate view of where Tech stands in relation to the other teams in the coastal division. I also believe it, and the fact that Duke has beaten us in 4 out of 5 games, shows that Tstan’s judgment to move away from the PJ tree at this time is justified if Tech is to strive for excellence in its FB program. The 5 year averages are listed below:

UNC; 56.7%

UNC; 53.3%

We've had 1 single year below 0.500 in ACC play in the last 25 years. It was 2015 when we had 1,000 injuries. That 1 year can skew just about any analysis.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

UNC; 56.7%

UNC; 53.3%

What is the reason for using a 5 year moving average instead of a six year average? Especially since there is only one year on either side of the moving average.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Those numbers seem off. If Miami was playing that well in the division, you would think they would have won more division titles.

Aanderson1839

Georgia Tech Fan
Sample size of data is small for this. We only play a few of these each year, and 1 of them is Clemson, who from 2014 - 2018 has been one of the best teams in the country.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Those numbers seem off. If Miami was playing that well in the division, you would think they would have won more division titles.
He wrote “interdivisional play only,” so I’m guessing this means against competition in the Atlantic Division? If so, that’s a horrible metric considering we play Clemson every year.

I’m guessing he meant intra-divisional. Either way, it’s definitely a candidate for worst post of 2018.

@Bogey could you enlighten us?

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Sample size of data is small for this. We only play a few of these each year, and 1 of them is Clemson, who from 2014 - 2018 has been one of the best teams in the country.
Interdivisional play does not include Clemson who is in the Atlantic division. 5 years used because it covers a class's elibility including redshirt year. 5 years gives each team 30 games, and 5 games against each opponent. IIWIS

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Interdivisional play does not include Clemson who is in the Atlantic division. 5 years used because it covers a class's elibility including redshirt year. 5 years gives each team 30 games, and 5 games against each opponent. IIWIS

I don’t think you know what interdivisional means.

These anti-CPJ threads are getting old. Going to post some data later that provides evidence that Collins is not a “great recruiter,” as many on this board have called him. @John get your ban button ready for that thread.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

Ah, that would be intra-divisional games, not interdivisional.....the latter applies to games outside your division.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

The Miami numbers are correct. Miami only won 1 divisional title. Part of their problem is that they play FSU every year just like GT plays Clemson. Table shows Miami's divisional record and the division winner's overall conf record.

Edit: My table didn't work. Miami was 3-3, 5-1, 4-2, 5-1, 3-3, and 4-2 from 2018 to 2013. They only won the division in 2017. Their other 5-1 in division record was the year that UNC was 8-0 in the conference.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
We've had 1 single year below 0.500 in ACC play in the last 25 years. It was 2015 when we had 1,000 injuries. That 1 year can skew just about any analysis.

Fair point. Interestingly UNC had a year this year similar to 15 for us and still did better over the given time period than us if these numbers are accurate.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
5 years used because it covers a class's elibility including redshirt year. 5 years gives each team 30 games, and 5 games against each opponent.

But your initial comment was to compare teams since Pitt joined the division. Restricting the data to one recruiting class doesn't make sense statistically if you are starting at 2013 since that is the first year that the division was expanded. It only goes to include the bad year, but exclude one good year on either side.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think you know what interdivisional means.

These anti-CPJ threads are getting old. Going to post some data later that provides evidence that Collins is not a “great recruiter,” as many on this board have called him. @John get your ban button ready for that thread.

No reason to get upset. It’s just data. You can draw your own conclusions from it. It’s no secret the program isn’t what it was back in 08 & 09 which was his best 2 years run. You can draw your own conclusions from that as well.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Fair point. Interestingly UNC had a year this year similar to 15 for us and still did better over the given time period than us if these numbers are accurate.
UNC won 1 ACC game in 2017 and 2018. UNC only finished ahead of Tech in the ACC in 2 of 11 years under CPJ. Perhaps this data is misleading?

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
No reason to get upset. It’s just data. You can draw your own conclusions from it. It’s no secret the program isn’t what it was back in 08 & 09 which was his best 2 years run. You can draw your own conclusions from that as well.
Not upset. I’ll post some data later tonight (may be tomorrow depending on schedule) that will be open to interpretation.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
UNC won 1 ACC game in 2017 and 2018. UNC only finished ahead of Tech in the ACC in 2 of 11 years under CPJ. Perhaps this data is misleading?

Assuming the data is correct I don’t see how it’s misleading. To me the OP was extremely fair to Johnson as I would have started in 15 which was the beginning of the downturn.

Regardless I appreciate what Johnson did here at GT and wish him well in retirement. He guided us through a difficult time and kept us respectable.