Dissappointed with fan experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
One reason prices are higher at stadiums is equipment is only used a few times a year, supplies are moved in and out, unlike traditional restaurants. ( and of course, the captured audience). $25 for parking for an event? Parking at a hotel in a city overnight usually runs that much.

Is there a way around the equipment expense? I'm guessing most of it is fixed, so probably not in-stadium. Perhaps food trucks? I could be wrong on this. Maybe the catering deal we have is the best option, even though the food and service suck. If that's the case, then I love GT giving season ticket holders the option to bring in their own food. I didn't mean to criticize the choice as much I meant to question whether it's really our best option. Without the data, i have no clue, only long-winded rambling gusses.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Hmmm....well I happen to know Jerry from meeting him at many events. He's one of the die-hard guys who is there at EVERYTHING. Comes to the home games, is there at signing day, shows up for the weekly call in show, etc.

If a fan that dedicated is starting to question whether or not he wants to continue to come to games, then we have a genuine problem.

If $42 dollars is all that it takes to get a "dedicated" fan to question going to games, then I question how dedicated that fan really is.

Animal02

Banned
Great I surrender you laugh at being as good as notre dame and clemson. That is why it is hard to recruit. You don't high school players see that?

I laugh at you in two weeks if you even watch the ND game because according you we can't be the fan base or program. I am a sidewalk fan and it has always been tough to be a Tech fan because I defend GT against our competition and I defend myself being a fan against out own. True story - standing in line for my Final Four tickets in SA and start talking to the guy in front of me. Ask me what year did graduate? I didn't go to Tech I replied and his response was typical, then why are you here? Tech doesn't have support in ATL because it doesn't build it. Laugh all you want but ND had to embrace all fans including sidewalk fans and the arrogance of GT fans like you just described will always look down on that.

Doesn't change me being a Tech fan it proves my point even more. Tech fans want to compete with ND and clemson on the field but not in their expectations of their fans. Anyone who fights that is insulted with swing and miss and that is laughable.

FYI never said we had to draw ND type attendance or fan base in my message all I have tried to say is that if we show the good and the passion of GT versus compaining about the price of a hot dog we could portray GT in a better light and generate a brand that promotes excitement as an event of winners versus buy 4 tickets and get 4 hotdogs and 4 cokes no additional charge.

Clearly I am in the minority and I am not going to try and convince anyone further. We will just laugh and make excuses of why we can't get sidewalk fans state schools have all the advantages and if you aren't a Tech alumni you aren't a true Tech man and you just don't understand. Got it.
Bull.. ND gets so much support from Catholics that never went to college, or went to small college s........I know tons of them. For your couple of one off examples, I can match you with schools with far greater alumni bases with smaller following s. The fact is, for a smaller school, Tech is not doing bad. Anyone who thinks that Tech will ever rival the fan bases of the big state universities is living in a fantasyland.

Animal02

Banned
Is there a way around the equipment expense? I'm guessing most of it is fixed, so probably not in-stadium. Perhaps food trucks? I could be wrong on this. Maybe the catering deal we have is the best option, even though the food and service suck. If that's the case, then I love GT giving season ticket holders the option to bring in their own food. I didn't mean to criticize the choice as much I meant to question whether it's really our best option. Without the data, i have no clue, only long-winded rambling gusses.
The point is you have equipment in the concession stands that is used a dozen times a year.....to pay for that you spread the cost over fewer sales. Same with a liquor license. Add in the captured audience and you have the prices you have.

Bull.. ND gets so much support from Catholics that never went to college, or went to small college s........I know tons of them. For your couple of one off examples, I can match you with schools with far greater alumni bases with smaller following s. The fact is, for a smaller school, Tech is not doing bad. Anyone who thinks that Tech will ever rival the fan bases of the big state universities is living in a fantasyland.

Read my post did not say Tech is doing bad in fact the original post was GT game experience is bad and I felt that was not a good position to take. After that it was the statements that we can't compete with big state schools. I was told I swing and miss in believing we can. I used clemson and ND as examples of schools that can compete. Being a Catholic, the days of ND domination is not nearly as you portray. It is a brand built in the past yes but high school kids don't know this they know that ND embraces being great.

You keep going and acting like I cut on Tech fans bit you are the one who took the position of we can't compete for side walk fans and based on my experience that is probably true and schools like ND do embrace their sidewalk fans.

But again my original point was we should focus on our positives instead of complaining about our gameday or we can't compete with big state schools or ATL has too many alternatives. I still believed that we could portray a better image than that but you have convinced I am wrong.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
The point is you have equipment in the concession stands that is used a dozen times a year.....to pay for that you spread the cost over fewer sales. Same with a liquor license. Add in the captured audience and you have the prices you have.

I understand the point and the challenge of spreading high fixed costs over a small number of events per year (what, 6?). I understand the value of a captured audience. My question is why do we use this model for our concessions? Is there really no other possible way of offering food to ~ 40,000 captured people, either inside or outside the stadium? The answer may be no, there's not. I just don't understand the argument (not your argument) that (1) captured audiences are valuable + (2) GT shouldn't try capturing that value because you can bring in your own food? Is GT's max profit really selling over priced food that no one buys? Or if they're a sucker and do buy it, they're left with a negative game day experience, like our friend Jerry?

If there was a way to offer food on site w/o the expense of fixed equipment, I would think that local restaurants would want in on the captured audience sales / advertisement that a GT game offers.

Animal02

Banned
I understand the point and the challenge of spreading high fixed costs over a small number of events per year (what, 6?). I understand the value of a captured audience. My question is why do we use this model for our concessions? Is there really no other possible way of offering food to ~ 40,000 captured people, either inside or outside the stadium? The answer may be no, there's not. I just don't understand the argument (not your argument) that (1) captured audiences are valuable + (2) GT shouldn't try capturing that value because you can bring in your own food? Is GT's max profit really selling over priced food that no one buys? Or if they're a sucker and do buy it, they're left with a negative game day experience, like our friend Jerry?

If there was a way to offer food on site w/o the expense of fixed equipment, I would think that local restaurants would want in on the captured audience sales / advertisement that a GT game offers.
I am assuming that the concession service is contracted out ( have not been to a home game since 2010). More money typically for the whole contract vs. Piecemeal I suspect.

Reactions: RLR

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
I concede defeat. The varsity-loving, hotdog eating crowd clearly outnumbers me. However, I refuse to accept that the current food option is the most profitable option for GT. I feel like I'm complaining about the price of cabs to people in the pre-uber age. and the response is, well, that's the way it is. You can just choose to drive if you don't like it. Look at other cities - they have cabs too and they cost even more! Let's not defend bad products unnecessarily.

I guess next game, I'll just get my uber driver to toss my food over the gate. Sorry GT, I tried giving you your cut but you refused to listen. (i get that the beta launch times don't correlate with game times. But, I'm desperate) http://ubereats.com/eats/atlanta/?u...ch_Acquire_EN_USE_US_ATL_Manual&utm_source=ET

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 9.58.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 9.58.31 PM.png
    89 KB · Views: 22

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Well now that little chicken dance has slowed down.

I would like to have seen a screen shot of the LARGE group of kids in the upper east deck.
We could have these young future sidewalk fans be honored by some cheer or skit where they dance and act out on the screen - best one gets gt hat

Just an idea to improve game experience and it's free except for hat

I thought the service and the large coke and bag of peanuts was a good deal .

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Well now that little chicken dance has slowed down.

I would like to have seen a screen shot of the LARGE group of kids in the upper east deck.
We could have these young future sidewalk fans be honored by some cheer or skit where they dance and act out on the screen - best one gets gt hat

Just an idea to improve game experience and it's free except for hat

I thought the service and the large coke and bag of peanuts was a good deal .
Please no

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Surprised at the turn this thread has taken but even more surprised at the participants slinging personal attacks (which shouldn't be a surprised that they were removed).

Can't imagine this thread can be put back on a better path nor come to any sort of conclusion/resolution other than some of the points already made:
  • Parking: Cost vs. Convenience
  • Concessions: I believe some of the time (if not all) the concessions are run by local organizations like schools for fundraising purposes so some premium will be built into the price. I'd also hope that part of the money goes back to Georgia Tech one way or another so the next time you think the price is a bit steep for the quality, just think that you are helping a local community organization and/or GT. :shame:

Status
Not open for further replies.