Dissappointed with fan experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animal02

Banned
One reason prices are higher at stadiums is equipment is only used a few times a year, supplies are moved in and out, unlike traditional restaurants. ( and of course, the captured audience). $25 for parking for an event? Parking at a hotel in a city overnight usually runs that much.

Reactions: RLR

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
From whence do people claim GT has a bad reputation at traveling and for bowls? I have never seen this to be true. I suspect it is a projection in the minds of some Tech fans who enjoy complaining about other Tech fans frugality or cheapness.

From whence do people claim GT has a bad reputation at traveling and for bowls? I have never seen this to be true. I suspect it is a projection in the minds of some Tech fans who enjoy complaining about other Tech fans frugality or cheapness.

Sure that is why we get passed over for ncsu unc and others. Think what you want. I don't claim about Tech fans I complain about this thread that complains about the Tech experience. This post has made us look cheap. Our reputation will always be minimized when we look for the cheaper practical ways and others are willing to pay full price.

Proof - we are always fighting for a good bowl in the past and saw Boise more than we should because bowls have more faith in other schools fan bases spending their money.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Sure that is why we get passed over for ncsu unc and others. Think what you want. I don't claim about Tech fans I complain about this thread that complains about the Tech experience. This post has made us look cheap. Our reputation will always be minimized when we look for the cheaper practical ways and others are willing to pay full price.

Proof - we are always fighting for a good bowl in the past and saw Boise more than we should because bowls have more faith in other schools fan bases spending their money.
First point: You think it makes sense to compare Tech's fan base to huge state schools? Why?

Second point: Provide evidence that getting sent to Boise in 2004 with a 6-6 record or 2007 with a 7-5 record, and after having fired the head coach was due to the POOR showing that Tech fans make traveling? It would be equally reasonable to assume that a west coast bowl felt good choosing Tech because Tech fans live everywhere and would even be willing to travel across country in many cases to see the team.

Btw, most of the posts here have abused Jerry for seeming cheap. So your sweeping prejudice against the Tech fan base doesn't even have much purchase in this thread. My point, however, is that it is a false reputation you are labeling Tech with. If you went to some Tech away games or bowl games you would see that Tech always shows up very well in relative terms to its size compared even to the HUGE state schools that we may be playing in that bowl.

Animal02

Banned
First point: You think it makes sense to compare Tech's fan base to huge state schools? Why?

Second point: Provide evidence that getting sent to Boise in 2004 with a 6-6 record or 2007 with a 7-5 record, and after having fired the head coach was due to the POOR showing that Tech fans make traveling? It would be equally reasonable to assume that a west coast bowl felt good choosing Tech because Tech fans live everywhere and would even be willing to travel across country in many cases to see the team.

Btw, most of the posts here have abused Jerry for seeming cheap. So your sweeping prejudice against the Tech fan base doesn't even have much purchase in this thread. My point, however, is that it is a false reputation you are labeling Tech with. If you went to some Tech away games or bowl games you would see that Tech always shows up very well in relative terms to its size compared even to the HUGE state schools that we may be playing in that bowl.

While you may be right with regard to the showing based on size......If you are a bowl official and charged with bringing in tourist dollars......are you going to choose the team that brings 30% of their 100k fan base or the team that will bring 10% of their 500k fan base.

Also.....as you pointed out about Tech fans being spread out......it is easier to arrange charters/ group packages from a localized fan base than it is from one that is spread out.

Animal02

Banned
The Horseshoe seats 100k BDS seats 55k your point is invalid.
Not invalid at all. With 57k enrollment, for arguments sake, that is 10k new fans a year x 50 years is 500k fan base. At 22k enrollment, using the same percentage that is 3900 new fans a year x 50 = 195k new fans.

Now take 20% of that fan base that is "passionate" enough to buy tickets. OSU - 20% of 500k fills their 100k seat stadium. Tech - 20% of 195k gives you 39k.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Not invalid at all. With 57k enrollment, for arguments sake, that is 10k new fans a year x 50 years is 500k fan base. At 22k enrollment, using the same percentage that is 3900 new fans a year x 50 = 195k new fans.

Now take 20% of that fan base that is "passionate" enough to buy tickets. OSU - 20% of 500k fills their 100k seat stadium. Tech - 20% of 195k gives you 39k.
I didn't realize only students and alumni could go to the games......

Animal02

Banned
I'm not a student nor alumni but I'm still a fan who comes to games
And that is great......wish there was a lot more like you.

My whole point is that the "big" schools have a built in advantage.....it is not the "passion level" it is simply numbers.
The same percentage of student / alumni at a school like OSU fills their 100k stadium, while the same percentage at Tech leaves 30% of out stadium empty. Tech would need to double the "passion level" of its student/alumni base to fill the stadium. Tech needs the "sidewalk" fan and needs lots of them with lots of passion.

Ok should compare only to smaller schools and be like wake forest great point

With regards to research I will just agree with you GT has a great reputation for drawing fans who are very zealous and the size is our problem

Welcome to average you can't compete with the big state schools if you are scared to be compared

Don't complain when we don't compete

And that is great......wish there was a lot more like you.

My whole point is that the "big" schools have a built in advantage.....it is not the "passion level" it is simply numbers.
The same percentage of student / alumni at a school like OSU fills their 100k stadium, while the same percentage at Tech leaves 30% of out stadium empty. Tech would need to double the "passion level" of its student/alumni base to fill the stadium. Tech needs the "sidewalk" fan and needs lots of them with lots of passion.

We are have a major inferiority complex to big state schools and the fans that don't get beat up for not recognizing how disadvantaged we are

Sorry I think it is a poor excuse and we make that excuse to justify not working to be better as a fan base

Doesn't matter I am still just a sidewalk fan who believes in our greatness ms will defend the game day experience

FYI it is tough to be sidewalk fan of GT the attitudes of defensiveness run deep

To Bruce and Jerry

My implication is that you complained about the experience and I defended it

My intent is not to say you are cheap that the comments make us appear cheap

We can hide behind making me the bad guy but why was your opinion ok to generalize against GT game day experience

Yes I do think we as a fan base are justify poor attendance we should sell out every home game at a nationally ranked team but instead we tear ourselves down with this crappy thread

Sorry my expectations are too high

My apologies to jerry if you take offense I am sure you are a great and successful person

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
No offense Golden! I am frugal and always look for a good value. I guess I was just pissed to pull in the parking lot where the parking for game day was reasonable last season and finding out it is now $25. Like I said, they had no problem filling the lot so there are a lot more folks that did not have a problem forking out the money than I did. I should have just backed out and found some other place to park but I was running a little late and did not want to miss the kick off. Same factor led to me buying food at the game rather than somewhere else. So in essence I put myself into a situation where I limited my options. Bad on me.

I got the money but I would like to keep some of it!

Go Jackets!

Animal02

Banned
We are have a major inferiority complex to big state schools and the fans that don't get beat up for not recognizing how disadvantaged we are

Sorry I think it is a poor excuse and we make that excuse to justify not working to be better as a fan base

Doesn't matter I am still just a sidewalk fan who believes in our greatness ms will defend the game day experience

FYI it is tough to be sidewalk fan of GT the attitudes of defensiveness run deep

Wow......I have never seen someone swing and miss so completely.

It is not an excuse to acknowledge that Tech's fan base is smaller than most state universities.
It is not an excuse to acknowledge that Tech's fan base inherently will not grow like other state universities.
It is not an excuse to acknowledge that "passion" toward the program is not the primary factor WRT why we struggle to fill a 55k seat stadium when other state universities fill 100k stadiums and why bowl games tend to pass over Tech for other schools.

It is not defensiveness......it is simply understanding the facts and being realistic about expectations.

Wow......I have never seen someone swing and miss so completely.

It is not an excuse to acknowledge that Tech's fan base is smaller than most state universities.
It is not an excuse to acknowledge that Tech's fan base inherently will not grow like other state universities.
It is not an excuse to acknowledge that "passion" toward the program is not the primary factor WRT why we struggle to fill a 55k seat stadium when other state universities fill 100k stadiums and why bowl games tend to pass over Tech for other schools.

It is not defensiveness......it is simply understanding the facts and being realistic about expectations.

Maybe you should check some facts;

GT total enrollment ~23,000 (undergrad and post) 14,682 undergrad

Clemson enrollment ~ 22,000 / 17,260

Notre Dame 11,700 / 8,371

Georgia Tech is basically equal to or greater in enrollment than Clemson and Notre Dame.

Georgia Tech attendance average in 2014 was 48,519 versus Clemson's 81,752 and Notre Dame's 80,759.

59% and 60% of Clemson's and Notre Dame's average attendance.

Therefore, other universities that are of similar size or smaller can strive for greatness and you can continue to tell me I swing and miss, but these numbers say otherwise.

Dont let facts get in the way of your story or your being realistic about reducing expectations.

I have apologized to Jerry for implying he was cheap - again Jerry that was not my intent. After reading this thread, I wish our expectations of ourselves as fans were as great as our expectations of our team.

Disagree all you want, but it is possible to build a strong recognized brand that is based on the passion and experiences of the event versus justifying or being realistic that GT will be inherently disadvantaged versus other state universities.

Both Clemson and Notre Dame fight for relevance against either a bigger state school USCe (33K students and state support) or ND being private. We, GT, could do that as well - but to say that makes me unrealistic about our expectations.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I had to laugh out loud at you comparing any school's fandom to Notre Dame's. Their fan numbers are only rivaled by the number of other team's fans that hate Notre Dame football.

As far as Clemson, it's a different demographic, in a different environment. Most Clemson grads stay within a 3 hr drive of Clemson. Same for Auburn and uga. In addition, the local support for Clemson far exceeds the local support for GT. It's not making an excuse to expresss an understanding of the difficulties we face when it comes to filling the stadium.

At most medium-sized schools, the stadium is not filled by alumni, but by the sidewalk fans. There's too much competition in Atlanta for the entertainment dollar to be successful like Clemson, Auburn or even Notre Dame. Win, and we'll attract the interest. Midling performances won't cut it.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
Gotcha, so pay less for more quality food, $20 is too much for parking IN THE CITY and keep west midtown sketchy by opposing local business growth...

Food: it's stadium food, not amazing, pricy for what it is... If you're going to complain about it, eating at the game is a choice not a requirement

Parking: remember those 3 years that they offered a free ATL Station shuttle on game days... Oh yea no one ever used it. $20 is not much for parking, we don't live in the sticks or are surrounded by fields and empty lots. Marta round trip for 2 people is $10, I've paid $15 to go to a HS football game.

I get that there are extra costs for going to football games, I get that you want to support Georgia Tech monetarily, but you're asking GT to redefine the stadium eating experience and charge a less than competitive parking fee and you want all this for less than $30 ($20 Parking + $5 coke +$4 hotdog)

Get over it dude.

Good points. I love GT football and enjoy the games. I was just trying to throw in my two cents. I guess the flaw in your logic is that your solution combines (1) not eating at games and (2) paying private lots whatever they charge w/o GT trying to use its bargaining power on behalf of all of its fan to drive the private parking lot price down. SO, no, I'm not asking GT to charge less than competitive parking fees, since I didn't address the fees GT is charging. And no, I'm not asking for a cheaper hot dog. I won't buy a $2 or $4 hotdog. Like everyone here said, I just don't purchase food at the game. So, GT is throwing away concession revenues. To not throw away money is not the same as spending money. You guys defend the argument by saying, hey, that's just how much stuff costs. I pay that much all the time to do this or do that. Okay great. So why wouldn't we add more attractive concessions in the stadium so you excellent consumers can spend more money at the GT game?

And actually, until maybe 12 months ago, GT was surrounded by fields and empty lots. Off the top of my head, there's 2 empty lots @ Spring and 14th, an empty lot where they are building the new student housing on spring, the empty lot by Cenergy, plus lots of empty parking lots on saturdays at three of the largest office towers in atlanta (14th & peachtree, BOA, AT&T). Add in atlantic station, Marta, free parking just south of campus, and all the other places people have mentioned & I'd say parking is pretty abundant. I'm not complaining about parking. I can transport myself to the game for free. That doesn't mean that I can't recognize a general problem with our gameday experience. if you want to bring in new fans and create a better game day experience, are you really willing to just throw away any idea to improve the parking or ingame eating? I mean, that's the first impression a non-die hard gt football fan will have on gameday, parking & traffic around the stadium. I don't think it would cost much for GT to offer the atlantic station shuttle. but hey, if they tried it and i'm wrong, then let's move on. i'll admit i was wrong on this. i just had this general intuition that private lots are making a huge surplus on parking because of fan's bad information.

In my mind, I thought GT could distribute better information, perhaps through marketing or a partnership, about parking to fans. I didn't realize that this general philosophy makes me an anti-business commi. by all means, slumlords, do as you please. for it is you, slumlord, who makes GT great - who really drives value in midtown atlanta. Any collective action taken by Georgia Tech would harm the private property rights of those wonderful Home Park owners, whose passion and commitment to the neighborhood is clearly reflected in their upkeep of the property. If only Georgia Tech had not purchased the area east of the interstate on 5th street to build tech square, and the small, capitalist business owner could have continued to flourish! Instead, we're stuck with a Management school. And a high performance computing center. and all these dumb business incubators that are pumping millions and millions of dollars into innovation on such wasteful endeavours. Not to mention the greatest evil - a partnership with those private, liberal arts doctors at Emory. Associating with that crowd isn't worth the opportunity of transforming Atlanta into one of the premier global healthcare centers, IMO.

Also, to the other poster's comment, I agree I was wrong about GT trying to buy up the land west of campus. West Midtown's private business owners are definitely the future driver of enterprise in that area. Look at how much other development its brought to the area so far! I mean, we have their restaurants. and their over-priced apartments... still no infrastructure improvements though. or any auxiliary developments. or any sort of plan for the area. Terminal west is actually awesome, i'll grant you that. If GT were to buy up all those abandoned building and lots or small businesses west of campus and transform the area into say a health and biosciences innovation district that compliments the GT-Emory research partnership that's taking place on 5th street, then the area will clearly suffer. I mean, the community wouldn't suffer. But investing in a sustainable, long-term value, job-creating, industry-boosting development would certainly harm the current business owner heroes who are doing their best to gentrify the area & maximize the rent they can charge for their "luxury apartments". . . let's just pray the student loan bubble doesn't pop, so they can keep charging those "market" rates!!!

I had to laugh out loud at you comparing any school's fandom to Notre Dame's. Their fan numbers are only rivaled by the number of other team's fans that hate Notre Dame football.

As far as Clemson, it's a different demographic, in a different environment. Most Clemson grads stay within a 3 hr drive of Clemson. Same for Auburn and uga. In addition, the local support for Clemson far exceeds the local support for GT. It's not making an excuse to expresss an understanding of the difficulties we face when it comes to filling the stadium.

At most medium-sized schools, the stadium is not filled by alumni, but by the sidewalk fans. There's too much competition in Atlanta for the entertainment dollar to be successful like Clemson, Auburn or even Notre Dame. Win, and we'll attract the interest. Midling performances won't cut it.

Great I surrender you laugh at being as good as notre dame and clemson. That is why it is hard to recruit. You don't high school players see that?

I laugh at you in two weeks if you even watch the ND game because according you we can't be the fan base or program. I am a sidewalk fan and it has always been tough to be a Tech fan because I defend GT against our competition and I defend myself being a fan against out own. True story - standing in line for my Final Four tickets in SA and start talking to the guy in front of me. Ask me what year did graduate? I didn't go to Tech I replied and his response was typical, then why are you here? Tech doesn't have support in ATL because it doesn't build it. Laugh all you want but ND had to embrace all fans including sidewalk fans and the arrogance of GT fans like you just described will always look down on that.

Doesn't change me being a Tech fan it proves my point even more. Tech fans want to compete with ND and clemson on the field but not in their expectations of their fans. Anyone who fights that is insulted with swing and miss and that is laughable.

FYI never said we had to draw ND type attendance or fan base in my message all I have tried to say is that if we show the good and the passion of GT versus compaining about the price of a hot dog we could portray GT in a better light and generate a brand that promotes excitement as an event of winners versus buy 4 tickets and get 4 hotdogs and 4 cokes no additional charge.

Clearly I am in the minority and I am not going to try and convince anyone further. We will just laugh and make excuses of why we can't get sidewalk fans state schools have all the advantages and if you aren't a Tech alumni you aren't a true Tech man and you just don't understand. Got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.