Disney and YouTubeTV in a spat

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Wouldn't be so sure about that. Their big new htoel is gettign lots of cancellations. Even Shang Xi lost money they haven't had a movie actually make money in a year and ESPN has been bleeding viewership

No Disney won't go under. They're doing just fine.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Canceling today. I suggest others do the same. Only way it makes a difference. I’ll find the content somewhere else.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
No Disney won't go under. They're doing just fine.
Not really stock is literally down almost 13 percent shaving off close to 40 points on a free fall since around october. Before having a slight rebound on anticipation of a good q4 earnings call which is likely going to miss targets. Which is what triggered the other fall. Disney films are having issues parks are attempting to increase revenue at the expense of guest experience. And merchandizing in general is down with covid basically killing off most store fronts. Disclosed position 30 shares @101 plus a couple etfs im sure have disney stock

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Canceling today. I suggest others do the same. Only way it makes a difference. I’ll find the content somewhere else.
Hmmm. I'm not inclined to put the blame for this on YouTube TV.

Disney has all the leverage here, as they have highly desired content that can be found elsewhere and are leveraging things like ESPN (CFB during bowl season) to force YTTV to force-include all their crappy content. It's the opposite of ala-cart that we all dreamed about.

Somehow the dream of only paying for what we watched got swiped away during the cable demonopolizaion by content consolidation. Now the few content owners are playing their heavy hands against many delivery services forcing these huge packages and eliminating consumer choice (to see football I have to pay for the Disney Channel that I will never watch)

SowegaSting

Jolly Good Fellow
Going to cancel YouTube and get my Braves back while I’m at it. Speculation is if they reach an agreement the base price will increase.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Going to cancel YouTube and get my Braves back while I’m at it. Speculation is if they reach an agreement the base price will increase.
Agreed with the premise this is likely more Disney's fault than Google's but as a longtime YTTV guy, I'm tired of their constant drama with contract negotiations. They just had similar drama regarding dropping support for all Roku devices in early December - that one went down to the last minute before resolution also. And before that it was the threat of losing NBC as I recall. And before that YTTV lost all RSN's taking away all Braves and Hawks games. Ashame, as YTTV is a great product otherwise!

As of today, I'm going to bite the bullet and move to DirecTV Stream which will bump up monthly from $65 to $85(soon to be $90) but includes RSN's, ACCN, MLB, NFL, NBA and all ESPN channels...will report back after a week or two trial... Considered Xfinity streaming option but it has been in "beta" app mode for many years (at least on Roku) and gets terrible user reviews. Wrote off cable and all associated hardware/boxes and fees many years ago.

Would appreciate any other Atlanta metro area perspectives if I'm missing something...

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
And what I really hate is that because my wife and I have different viewing preferences there is no one package, service or approach that covers what we need. Add to that living in the mountains with limited options and I may seriously have to just quit watching TV altogether.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
And what I really hate is that because my wife and I have different viewing preferences there is no one package, service or approach that covers what we need. Add to that living in the mountains with limited options and I may seriously have to just quit watching TV altogether.
You'd likely be better off, truth be told. :)

I hate to see YTTV losing subs, as it only strengthens the bargaining power of the content conglomerates. And I've dealt with the bunch at Disney on the business side. To say I wasn't impressed with their leadership would be an understatement. I hate to see them succeed, frankly.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
As of today, I'm going to bite the bullet and move to DirecTV Stream which will bump up monthly from $65 to $85(soon to be $90) but includes RSN's, ACCN, MLB, NFL, NBA and all ESPN channels...will report back after a week or two trial... Considered Xfinity streaming option but it has been in "beta" app mode for many years (at least on Roku) and gets terrible user reviews. Wrote off cable and all associated hardware/boxes and fees many years ago.
I’ve been very pleased with ATT/Directv stream, I’ve used them for more than a year now since I moved to north Decatur. The fiber internet has been a big upgrade over Google Fiber and the sports I want to watch are always available. Also no data caps like Comcast which - if you work from home and use videoconferencing - is probably a dealbreaker

SowegaSting

Jolly Good Fellow
Agreed with the premise this is likely more Disney's fault than Google's but as a longtime YTTV guy, I'm tired of their constant drama with contract negotiations. They just had similar drama regarding dropping support for all Roku devices in early December - that one went down to the last minute before resolution also. And before that it was the threat of losing NBC as I recall. And before that YTTV lost all RSN's taking away all Braves and Hawks games. Ashame, as YTTV is a great product otherwise!

Would appreciate any other Atlanta metro area perspectives if I'm missing something...
I just switched to DirectSream TV. So far so good.

slugboy

Staff member
I’ve been very pleased with ATT/Directv stream, I’ve used them for more than a year now since I moved to north Decatur. The fiber internet has been a big upgrade over Google Fiber and the sports I want to watch are always available. Also no data caps like Comcast which - if you work from home and use videoconferencing - is probably a dealbreaker
Pro: The fiber internet is solid. Upload speeds are really good.
Con: They don’t include local PBS stations, which is frustrating.
Pro: Really good sports coverage
Con: ESPN+ is hard to activate (ATT’s sign on experience is broken)
Pro: Installation experience is decent…
Con: Yeah, but try scheduling an installation.
Con: Their customer service is worse than Comcast. (I’m not kidding. It’s apparently not a priority for them)
Pro: No data caps!!!
Con: They push their set top boxes into the contract when any TV in the last 5 years has that functionality built in.
Pro: No data caps (worth mentioning twice).
Con: DirectTV stream’s channel guide is really poorly designed and hard to search. Their numbered channel guide doesn’t include TCM, but it does show up in alphabetical order.
Pro: You might get free HBO.

you're really only paying for those 5 channels and they are including the other 95 for free.

Nothing is free. I’m paying fees for stations I’m never going to watch, and some of them cost more than you’d think.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Pro: The fiber internet is solid. Upload speeds are really good.
Con: They don’t include local PBS stations, which is frustrating.
Pro: Really good sports coverage
Con: ESPN+ is hard to activate (ATT’s sign on experience is broken)
Pro: Installation experience is decent…
Con: Yeah, but try scheduling an installation.
Con: Their customer service is worse than Comcast. (I’m not kidding. It’s apparently not a priority for them)
Pro: No data caps!!!
Con: They push their set top boxes into the contract when any TV in the last 5 years has that functionality built in.
Pro: No data caps (worth mentioning twice).
Con: DirectTV stream’s channel guide is really poorly designed and hard to search. Their numbered channel guide doesn’t include TCM, but it does show up in alphabetical order.
Pro: You might get free HBO.

Nothing is free. I’m paying fees for stations I’m never going to watch, and some of them cost more than you’d think.
My point was more around you are willing to pay $x for the 5 channels you want. It really doesn’t matter if the other channels have a price associated with them. The a la carte movement (ie cord cutting) is evaporating in front of our eyes because people are willing to spend big bucks to get those 5 channels and all of the services know that.