Disney and YouTubeTV in a spat

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If you haven't heard Disney and YouTubeTV are currently in negotiations for a new agreement. The current one expires Dec 17th.
If an agreement is not reached the following channels will be removed from YouTubeTV

• ABC (local affiliate stations)
  • ABC News Live
  • Disney Channel
  • Disney Junior
  • Disney XD
  • Freeform
  • FX
  • FXX
  • FXM
  • National Geographic
  • National Geographic Wild
  • ESPN
  • ESPN2
  • ESPN3 (by authentication to the ESPN app)
  • ESPNU
  • ESPNEWS
  • SEC Network
  • ACC Network

This is obviously potentially big news for college football and basketball fans.
YouTubeTV has said it will reduce the price of subscription to $49.99 if it has to drop the channels.

YouTubeTV just ended its 7 month spat with Roku.
It was in similar negotiations with NBC earlier this year but those were finalized before the deadline.

If an agreement is not reached by the deadline I doubt it will go much past it. YouTubeTV has too much to lose with lose channels not on its system.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I have Youtube TV and my initial gut reaction was to cancel it and go to another streaming site... but then, you can pay $6.99 for ESPN+... don't care for the other channels frankly. So in the end it's cheaper, tho it would suck to not be able to just "tune" into these channels along with the other channels and you'd need to launch the ESPN app separately...

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I have Youtube TV and my initial gut reaction was to cancel it and go to another streaming site... but then, you can pay $6.99 for ESPN+... don't care for the other channels frankly. So in the end it's cheaper, tho it would suck to not be able to just "tune" into these channels along with the other channels and you'd need to launch the ESPN app separately...
You won't get the live coverage from ESPN channels on ESPN+. If YTTV isn't carrying ESPN, your YTTV credentials won't log you in to the ESPN app

SowegaSting

Jolly Good Fellow
You won't get the live coverage from ESPN channels on ESPN+. If YTTV isn't carrying ESPN, your YTTV credentials won't log you in to the ESPN app
This means I will have to ditch my YouTube Tv and switch to DirectStream Tv or whatever they are calling themselves this week.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I really hate it when they pull this BS. Disney is playing chicken, but they won't be the ones to turn off first. They know YouTubeTV users want their content, and it may take a mass exodus for YouTube to understand it.

Still, I have a LOT of stuff saved on my YouTubeTV unlimited DVR, and would hate to lose it now to cancel for a week until they get their heads on straight...

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck

Ah... well then. It's gonna be tough to keep YTTV without ESPN channels. though realistically I only care about ESPN only during certain times of the year.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I really hate it when they pull this BS. Disney is playing chicken, but they won't be the ones to turn off first. They know YouTubeTV users want their content, and it may take a mass exodus for YouTube to understand it.

Still, I have a LOT of stuff saved on my YouTubeTV unlimited DVR, and would hate to lose it now to cancel for a week until they get their heads on straight...
You can pause without cancelling if need be.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I have YTTV and ESPN+- with/through my brother in law and friend. Buddy I split YTTV with is a huge gambler so this may get interesting. I usually turn it off after March madness ends so there’s only another few months. Will keep it all until then either way.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
Yet another example of how cord cutting doesn’t really do anything to benefit consumers: the content producers still hold extreme bargaining power and provide a service that is both highly desirable & valuable for consumers. At least the cord cutters don’t have super high switching costs.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Yet another example of how cord cutting doesn’t really do anything to benefit consumers: the content producers still hold extreme bargaining power and provide a service that is both highly desirable & valuable for consumers. At least the cord cutters don’t have super high switching costs.
It severely benefits the consumers. When they do something like this we can immediately switch and adjust on the fly. I used to pay something like $220/mo for cable and internet. This is about $130 now with YTTV, AT&T fiber, and several other streaming services.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If you haven't heard Disney and YouTubeTV are currently in negotiations for a new agreement. The current one expires Dec 17th.
If an agreement is not reached the following channels will be removed from YouTubeTV

• ABC (local affiliate stations)
  • ABC News Live
  • Disney Channel
  • Disney Junior
  • Disney XD
  • Freeform
  • FX
  • FXX
  • FXM
  • National Geographic
  • National Geographic Wild
  • ESPN
  • ESPN2
  • ESPN3 (by authentication to the ESPN app)
  • ESPNU
  • ESPNEWS
  • SEC Network
  • ACC Network

This is obviously potentially big news for college football and basketball fans.
YouTubeTV has said it will reduce the price of subscription to $49.99 if it has to drop the channels.

YouTubeTV just ended its 7 month spat with Roku.
It was in similar negotiations with NBC earlier this year but those were finalized before the deadline.

If an agreement is not reached by the deadline I doubt it will go much past it. YouTubeTV has too much to lose with lose channels not on its system.
Youtube is lousy even with all those channels.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
ESPN is running ads begging viewers to go sign petition for Youtube to keep ESPN. Wow.
I guess we know which side has the leverage.

I miss YTTV when I signed up for $35/mo. Those were great times.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I think if there is one company that you can safely bet is in no danger of going under, it's the mickey Mouse Empire

Wouldn't be so sure about that. Their big new htoel is gettign lots of cancellations. Even Shang Xi lost money they haven't had a movie actually make money in a year and ESPN has been bleeding viewership