Dino Babers has been fired

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Too bad. I thought he came up with a masterful plan to compensate for not having a QB who could throw. I would not trade our victory over Syracuse for anything but would hate it if our victory was the nail in the coffin.
Eh, I don't think the guy did a bad job there but, on firing him, I understand. There shouldn't ever be a scenario where you literally have no capable qb's on the whole team. That seemed ridiculous.

slugboy

Staff member
Too bad. I thought he came up with a masterful plan to compensate for not having a QB who could throw. I would not trade our victory over Syracuse for anything but would hate it if our victory was the nail in the coffin.
He’s great as a developmental coach and a gameday coach. There were program development skills he either didn’t master or that don’t work at Syracuse, but he never built off of his successes.

Someone is going to get a great OC (Babers) and a great DC from this firing.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
This marks the second time in the last 20 years that Cuse has fired its head coach immediately following a Georgia Tech loss.

The last time was when Paul Pasqualoni got axed after Calvin Johnson and GT went off on Cuse in the Champs Sports bowl.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I can understand that firing. I have never seen a team having to play players at QB with such a complete inability to throw a forward pass down field and he has been there multiple years.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
What?! They're playing for two consecutive bowls next week for the first time in forever for them. My gosh, he's lost his top 2 QB's to injury and he's cobbled together a system that works. If this is true, then it's one of the stupidest moves I've seen in a long time.
This feels like a case of a guy who did a masterful job of crisis management and on the surface you ask how you can punish it…. Then you dig deeper to see that the crisis was of his own making.
Crisis management is a great skill, but you can’t plan to be in crisis all the time.

Injury bug certainly took out a promising season this year… that’s unfortunate.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I can understand that firing. I have never seen a team having to play players at QB with such a complete inability to throw a forward pass down field and he has been there multiple years.
Yep, the man was caught with 2 hurt QBs.Makes me cringe to think what Tech would look like if our top 2 went down with our DEF.

btw--I believe--yrs ago, Tech vs Maryland, they lost theit top 2 (or 3?QBs ).A LB was then used by them. but--I think Stephon Diggs (Buff Bills star WR) played for them and almost killed us -. on passes,punt ret,KO rets. and running on reverses.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Anyone remember CPJ’s 2015 team? Injuries and graduations demolished that team. Still, had 6 1-score losses in a 3-9 season. Babers would be playing next week for his second straight bowl. Just seems premature to me. At least wait to the end of the season. He had a division title and then maybe two bowls in a row. Meh, not my worry. He’s well paid.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Maybe the actions of the Orange players last night magnified the record and led to an immediate action by the school.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Won't fix anything for them. They will continue to be low to mid-ACC; unless they get gobs of NIL money.
They're Syracuse. They are like us and are not stacking up skill players like cord wood. However, as I typed, I have no dog in the hunt.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
They're Syracuse. They are like us and are not stacking up skill players like cord wood. However, as I typed, I have no dog in the hunt.

I view as a step above Syracuse. Syracuse hasn’t been consistent since I was like 6 years old.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
This feels like a case of a guy who did a masterful job of crisis management and on the surface you ask how you can punish it…. Then you dig deeper to see that the crisis was of his own making.
Crisis management is a great skill, but you can’t plan to be in crisis all the time.

Injury bug certainly took out a promising season this year… that’s unfortunate.
Excellent analysis!