Did we see the defense

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
most of the stuff roof ran was not our d you will typically see. This is one reason why I maintain practicing against the 3-0 does have its weaknesses for a D. These guys ran a scheme and sets they will rarely if ever use during the season to mimic VT, Miami etc. I know some don't think it matters...

With that said. I absolutely saw some base stuff we will run during the year. AND with Jabari at WDE and used to playing LB, I saw him do some zone stuff that I think roof will use. So I do think we will see more zone pressure due to the ? at DE....just a thought.

I agree definitely about how our DEf is weakened by practicing vs our OFf.
-the whole system is different esp if a team runs a pass-happy 4/5 wide set, practicing against that for a few days in season is not adequate-it is different for EVERY player-DL,LBs and DBs in SOME way
-since out Off is so passing weak-how can our DBs get used to strength of a good pass attack with strong arms and fast/clever WRs not to mention the different pass patterns?
-the shotgun snap is also a variable for our DEf,the DBs have to used to quick throws,etc

Our DEF looked at our Off all Sprg-how can that not hurt them at least some?

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
-the whole system is different esp if a team runs a pass-happy 4/5 wide set, practicing against that for a few days in season is not adequate-it is different for EVERY player-DL,LBs and DBs in SOME way
-since out Off is so passing weak-how can our DBs get used to strength of a good pass attack with strong arms and fast/clever WRs not to mention the different pass patterns?
-the shotgun snap is also a variable for our DEf,the DBs have to used to quick throws,etc

You could say the same about every team in the nation though. Their defense played against their offense all spring, so they're not going to be as good against offenses different than theirs. Alabama's defense practiced against Alabama's offense all spring, so that didn't help them worth a darn against Auburn's option attack. And, vice versa.

Now, that is a bit exaggerated, because even in spring, the defense and offense aren't scrimmaging all during practice, they're working on fundamentals and lining up against various sets and inside drill against each other and 7-on-7 against each other where they will replicate what various teams do.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

It does hurt some. How much is in question. I don't think it hurts us as much as it helps on the other side. Other teams aren't used to playing our O. Their scouts D's can't replicate our speed of execution. At least that's how it's supposed to be. Last year with Vad, I think we ran our offense the slowest we've run it since CPJ has been here. We'll run it much faster this year with JT or TB at the helm and it will make a huge difference.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Playing defense against our offense in the spring game will help against GSU for sure. Look, it is important to scheme and execute against a wide variety of offenses. Any good defense would need to be able to do that. To be truthful, in the grand scheme, I don't know what would be the best offense to run, if the goal was to prepare the defense for the season. It would be pretty hard to pick. Maybe a good argument could be made that ours is further from the ideal than some others, but I don't know what that ideal would be. There are a lot of good teams out there with very different offenses. Just look at last year's MNC game. Those were two very different schemes. Compare Oregon to Stanford from the PAC12, Wisconsin to OSU in the BIG10, Clemson to VT in the ACC etc etc

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
It's somewhat of a symbiotic relationship. The better your offense, then the better the defense becomes as it has to practice against a good offense. And vice versa. You could easily make the argument that some of our offensive woes over the past few seasons was because the defense it was practicing against was not that good. The patched up OL in 2008 daily practiced against 4 NFLers on the DL. When they got to a game, it was easier to open holes, and Dwyer ran wild. With the DL problems we've had the last couple of years, maybe our OL wasn't as challenged in practice.

I believe we are primarily an offensive team. We will live or die by the offense. With a better defense to practice against, the offense will be better. The defense may be hamstrung somewhat by practicing against the TO every day. But if we are primarily an offensive team, then the harm to the defense should be less than the benefit to the offense.

That bring me back to my original post. Turn 'em loose, Ted. We're an offensive team. Anything we get from the defense is gravy. We expect the other team to score. We just expect to score more. Make it fun to play defense again. That will help recruiting if we lead the league in sacks and TFL even if we give up a ton of yards. Linebackers and DE's will be jumping at the chance to come. We won seven games with bad defenses, maybe we win 9 with a gambling defense.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Monken went to Army and GSU hired Willie Fritz from Sam Houston State. He runs a shotgun spread.
Good point. Living in Houston with son as high school coach I have followed sam Houston - they get walkin linemen that play as seniors and poach dissatisfied D1 qbs and gets poor academic recruits that attend for a period to man the skill positions. They run the offense that is run all over Texas sine early 90's. Pedal to medal and blitz defense.

This will be a lab experiment for the ease of transition from option?
What if GSU transitions to spread is quick and successful= Baylor like? Tempting for change here?
What if first year transition team beats us? Hard to digest without eyes bleeding.

What if a disaster? Gloom and doom here.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Good point. Living in Houston with son as high school coach I have followed sam Houston - they get walkin linemen that play as seniors and poach dissatisfied D1 qbs and gets poor academic recruits that attend for a period to man the skill positions. They run the offense that is run all over Texas sine early 90's. Pedal to medal and blitz defense.

This will be a lab experiment for the ease of transition from option?
What if GSU transitions to spread is quick and successful= Baylor like? Tempting for change here?
What if first year transition team beats us? Hard to digest without eyes bleeding.

What if a disaster? Gloom and doom here.
What if your aunt had balls.....

We're gonna beat the tar out of GSU.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Good point. Living in Houston with son as high school coach I have followed sam Houston - they get walkin linemen that play as seniors and poach dissatisfied D1 qbs and gets poor academic recruits that attend for a period to man the skill positions.

That's a little discouraging to hear. GSU (despite some public perception to the contrary) has increased its academic standards recently. They also had a previous coach (before Monken) who came from a similar situation, where he had a winning program that allowed "questionable" student-athletes. He was liked in Statesboro, but wasn't able to recruit the same "quality" of young men, and didn't succeed. I hope that's not the case with Fritz.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
dressed cheesid - we sure should dominate gsu - definetly lower tier than acc coastal.
Just some what ifs

Sidewalk - have heard good things about fritz - coaching and fair to players. The conference that sam h is in is very competitive ( east Texas and west la are great talent source, high schools so so, and no major colleges within 100 miles) and they give kids that can get in a chance. In past they had lots of turnover. Gsu and fritz and spread option should be a good fit.

Didn't mean to change the thread!

I am very optimistic about this year. Coach has things in place, defense looking aggressive and experienced and faster in secondary, coach wants to impress as his term here matures. Could be a great year. For one I love the running game. We once beat Norte Dame with out completing a pass. I listened on the Norte dame network - total awsome win.
THWG.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Don't know why GSU would go away from the TO. They've always been good with it and have always been bad without it. It should've been a no-brainer to continue in the CPJ coaching tree. It's part of their DNA (extremely successful DNA).

For that matter, why would Nebraska not go back to their successful roots with the TO? Every year they ran it they were very good if not the top of college football. And, ever since they left it, they've been average or below.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Don't know why GSU would go away from the TO. They've always been good with it and have always been bad without it. It should've been a no-brainer to continue in the CPJ coaching tree. It's part of their DNA (extremely successful DNA).

For that matter, why would Nebraska not go back to their successful roots with the TO? Every year they ran it they were very good if not the top of college football. And, ever since they left it, they've been average or below.

It wasn't a conscious decision to abandon the option. Monken took some guys with him to Army, and its not like there were other "CPJ" coaching tree guys to look at.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
It wasn't a conscious decision to abandon the option. Monken took some guys with him to Army, and its not like there were other "CPJ" coaching tree guys to look at.
With the success you guys have had with that identity, I would've gone with a lesser known CPJ guy before I changed anything. An Ivin Jasper, some other position coach at Navy, a Monken assistant, Brian Cook, heck even Lamar Owens. Some of those guys I'm sure would jump at the chance to run their own program.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow

If Nebraska's record under Pelini has been average, then our record under Johnson is below average.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
You could say the same about every team in the nation though. Their defense played against their offense all spring, so they're not going to be as good against offenses different than theirs. Alabama's defense practiced against Alabama's offense all spring, so that didn't help them worth a darn against Auburn's option attack. And, vice versa.

Now, that is a bit exaggerated, because even in spring, the defense and offense aren't scrimmaging all during practice, they're working on fundamentals and lining up against various sets and inside drill against each other and 7-on-7 against each other where they will replicate what various teams do.
wow, Vamos-you normally see deeper than that.
The point is we run a MUCH different OFF than ANY of our opponents and so the more OUR Def plays vs OUR Off,then the less they will see and be able to react to the OTHER Off.
And that doesn't even count that many other teams have BETTER passers and receivers.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps @Ibeeballin and @vamosjackets can comment on the accuracy of my impression. But, it seems to me that a good bit of practice is spent in position- and unit- drills. So, scrimmages aren't a huge part of the practice. Then, portions of the scrimmage time are devoted to giving particular looks to the D on the one hand and to the O on the other.

I can't see how it's a huge factor for our D to practices against our O.