Did UF give us the blueprint to stop the mutts?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Do we sell out to stop the run? Make Mason beat us? Put man coverage and 7-8 in the box?
We have a tendency to leave the TE uncovered and he has burned us in the past. I was not impressed with Auburn's front 7, but they were from the SEC West, so they must have been awesome! :)

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Do we sell out to stop the run? Make Mason beat us? Put man coverage and 7-8 in the box?
We have a tendency to leave the TE uncovered and he has burned us in the past. I was not impressed with Auburn's front 7, but they were from the SEC West, so they must have been awesome! :)
It might help us if our game were to be played on a "neutral" field and half the spectators were GT fans. :)
I'm just hoping for a repeat of 2008 when their D looked clueless about our O.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
7 in the box is not stacking to stop the run really....the way UGA plays they see 7 man fronts constantly. You have to get off the blocks.

The issue you have is UGA likes to run out of a 11 3WR set. Which means if you play nickel they have personnel advantage. If you play base 4-3 and flash the OLB to the slot, then they have forced you to only play 6 in the box, unless you walk a S down. If you don't flash the OLB to the slot and walk the S down to the slot, then you essentially have man to that side, if you are in base. In our scheme that OLB slides out...and the S will have to walk down.

The other way to play it is simply man free. 7 in the box, 3 CB and a S high.

The point here is UGA is very smart with their schemes. They have a great blocking TE and force the D to spread out using 11 personnel; now they have 6 to block your 6, and since they pull OL a ton, what happens, is they have 6 to block your 3-4 on that side of the formation.

GT will simply have to play well. There is no stacking the box medicine here. If we leave a WR uncovered, they will check to a pass and burn us. They playaction off this. This is why spread O can be hard to stop.

Of course they run traditional 21 and 20 personnel too. Much easier to drop a S down in 21 personnel. Here we can play traditional 8 in the box, because your FB and TE are right inside the formation...not spread out...so you can walk their defense assignment down to guess run and leave the CB on a island. Much easier to handle.

I think what GT needs to win is 11 personnel and UGA's great ability to pull CG combos and block the edges. We need to be really physical on the edges and flow people to the ball. That playside DE needs to hold his edge and get penetration up field to force the run deeper than design.....

THIS will be the big key to stopping their run game, along with traditional trap plays etc. Their OL will just eat us alive if we don't play aggressive gap pen at snap

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Ugag destroyed Clemson's front 7 and then lay eggs to UF and USCe. What in the world does that say?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Ugag destroyed Clemson's front 7 and then lay eggs to UF and USCe. What in the world does that say?

then destroyed media darling auburn as well.

FYI, what does this say about miss state win over auburn? IMO its not as great now. This is why CFP rankings shouldn't come out until the last week. There is already built in bias by doing these rankings early...because now they have to reference off what they published the prior week.

Miss St schedule is not that tough. Everyone is ignoring the truth. Who did they play OOC???? No One!!!! At least Oregon played Mich St. etc.

They beat a solid, but not top 10 auburn team. Who we are seeing has a ton of holes. but a solid win. But not a top 4 win as once thought.
they beat a solid, but not top 20 LSU team who just lost to Ark and is young with alot of holes.
They beat 4 joke sister of the poor schools.
they beat a realing Texas A&M team....but a good win though so give them that.
they have played ZERO teams outside the conf worthy of a sanity check. Why are they not being punished for this?
Their two cross division games are the worst 2 in the east...Vandy and kentucky....

Their SCHEDULE may be the easiest in the SEC West.

whats the respect for again?

But their body of work is no better than Oregon, Baylor; and may be worse. But the media says hey its the SEC. It is frustrating as hell to see IMO. Yes Miss State is a VERY GOOD team. No doubt a top 10 team. But they haven't played anyone and won that we are seeing is big enough to warrant that respect. The one good team was really beating the heck out of them in Bama. We will see what happens vs 2 loss Ole Miss. But to me this is a classic SEC colored glasses view. They are a 7 or 8 ranked team IMO. No more than that.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
then destroyed media darling auburn as well.

FYI, what does this say about miss state win over auburn? IMO its not as great now. This is why CFP rankings shouldn't come out until the last week. There is already built in bias by doing these rankings early...because now they have to reference off what they published the prior week.

Miss St schedule is not that tough. Everyone is ignoring the truth. Who did they play OOC???? No One!!!! At least Oregon played Mich St. etc.

They beat a solid, but not top 10 auburn team. Who we are seeing has a ton of holes. but a solid win. But not a top 4 win as once thought.
they beat a solid, but not top 20 LSU team who just lost to Ark and is young with alot of holes.
They beat 4 joke sister of the poor schools.
they beat a realing Texas A&M team....but a good win though so give them that.
they have played ZERO teams outside the conf worthy of a sanity check. Why are they not being punished for this?
Their two cross division games are the worst 2 in the east...Vandy and kentucky....

Their SCHEDULE may be the easiest in the SEC West.

whats the respect for again?

But their body of work is no better than Oregon, Baylor; and may be worse. But the media says hey its the SEC. It is frustrating as hell to see IMO. Yes Miss State is a VERY GOOD team. No doubt a top 10 team. But they haven't played anyone and won that we are seeing is big enough to warrant that respect. The one good team was really beating the heck out of them in Bama. We will see what happens vs 2 loss Ole Miss. But to me this is a classic SEC colored glasses view. They are a 7 or 8 ranked team IMO. No more than that.
I could not agree more. And ESPN is pushing the SEC hype each and every day. Their take is they don't need to play tough OOC because they beat each other up in the mighty SEC. Your point, I think, is that if they keep beating each other, how do you know who is any good or not?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
fyi since someone will ask my top 4

1 - FSU I can't stand the lack of respect a team that won 26 in a row is getting. No its not been pretty...nor was auburn last year. Its unreal. And the ACC is not a cupcake conf like those would have you believe either.
2 - Alabama
3 - Oregon
4 - Baylor...if they win out in nice fashion, plus they beat TCU, I go with baylor. If they don't win out, and TCU does, its TCU.

For me OSU plays no one and got beat by VT...to me they are out no matter what. despite one loss.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I'm not an expert, but I think the UF lesson is get the lead. Get them under pressure to score and become one dimensional.

We can do that.

Play keep away with our offense, no mistakes, no penalty drivekillers, and especially no fumbles! On D fight hard for turnovers, get a punt or two and bow up in the redzone and hold them to some fieldgoal attempts. Try to legally put a killshot on Chubb and Hutson at every opportunity

96Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not an expert, but I think the UF lesson is get the lead. Get them under pressure to score and become one dimensional.

We can do that.
To be fair, we did it last year and couldn't hold them off. I have a lot more faith in this year's squad winning should UGA spot us 20 points again, though.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
7 in the box is not stacking to stop the run really....the way UGA plays they see 7 man fronts constantly. You have to get off the blocks.

The issue you have is UGA likes to run out of a 11 3WR set. Which means if you play nickel they have personnel advantage. If you play base 4-3 and flash the OLB to the slot, then they have forced you to only play 6 in the box, unless you walk a S down. If you don't flash the OLB to the slot and walk the S down to the slot, then you essentially have man to that side, if you are in base. In our scheme that OLB slides out...and the S will have to walk down.

The other way to play it is simply man free. 7 in the box, 3 CB and a S high.

The point here is UGA is very smart with their schemes. They have a great blocking TE and force the D to spread out using 11 personnel; now they have 6 to block your 6, and since they pull OL a ton, what happens, is they have 6 to block your 3-4 on that side of the formation.

GT will simply have to play well. There is no stacking the box medicine here. If we leave a WR uncovered, they will check to a pass and burn us. They playaction off this. This is why spread O can be hard to stop.

Of course they run traditional 21 and 20 personnel too. Much easier to drop a S down in 21 personnel. Here we can play traditional 8 in the box, because your FB and TE are right inside the formation...not spread out...so you can walk their defense assignment down to guess run and leave the CB on a island. Much easier to handle.

I think what GT needs to win is 11 personnel and UGA's great ability to pull CG combos and block the edges. We need to be really physical on the edges and flow people to the ball. That playside DE needs to hold his edge and get penetration up field to force the run deeper than design.....

THIS will be the big key to stopping their run game, along with traditional trap plays etc. Their OL will just eat us alive if we don't play aggressive gap pen at snap

@33jacket Why do we not see teams taking chances with a corner blitz against UGA with a LB falling off for contain? A Chubb or Gurley is hard to bring down by a CB, but in watching their plays develop it looks like some CB blitzing could slow down the run or turn it back to the weak side of the line.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think the key to slowing down UGa will be to slow their passing game. I have no doubt we will commit as many guys as we can to slow Chubb. This should give Mason plenty of chances against us through the air. If he and his receivers execute, they will score like crazy. If he or his receivers don't execute, we will slow them considerably and have quite a shot at them. All will really depend on their execution. Georgia's receivers have dropped a ton of passes this year, hopefully they continue that trend against us. If they suddenly start making good catches, we are doomed. :pompous:

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I like our corners vs. their receivers, plus our guys get two weeks to study film on their tendancies