Did GT, dodge a bullet?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I have never been in favor of players getting paid until this thread. I can't believe people are actually defending a school that said "you have a scholarship to play here" and then revoking that claim after students changed their high school course work to enroll early.

I agree that you be upfront with them and tell them they most likely will never play, but you do not take advantage of 17-18 year old kids who could have their lives severely hurt because of this.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I do like the idea of an offe
You mean to tell me if you got accepted to Tech as a student then the school President was replaced and then you got a letter saying sorry, with change in leadership, your academic talents are no longer wanted here, you wouldn’t be pissed off?

Cause that’s what happened to these guys.

Yes, I'd be pissed...when I was 18. My ego would have been bruised and my feelings hurt. However, at my age, I'd want the honest, simple and direct approach...I've gotten to the point where i don't want other people wasting my or their time. It's the KISS rule.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
I think that quote was after he decommitted. From what I remember, they tried to show him how they could use him in the new system...maybe I am wrong. We were planning to honor the commitment.

I think it was a mutual split with Renfree. Coach told him he wouldn't be a good fit, Sean understood and looked elsewhere. It worked out well for Sean at Duke.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I look at this different. If I was a recruit and the system was changing such that I wouldn’t have a chance to play, I would want to know and have the option to go elsewhere.

What you wrote here makes sense, but the key word here is “option”. If a kid wants to go somewhere else where they’ll fit better, they should be allowed to. However if a kid still wants to go there and try their best to fit in the new system, they should be allowed that opportunity.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I'd be pissed...when I was 18. My ego would have been bruised and my feelings hurt. However, at my age, I'd want the honest, simple and direct approach...I've gotten to the point where i don't want other people wasting my or their time. It's the KISS rule.

According to the NCAA and the amateur rules, student athletes commit to the school not the coach. That is why they have to jump through hoops to change schools. I don't understand how people can say that the student's should have to jump through hoops to change schools, and yet say that the schools should be able to dump student athletes when they don't need them anymore.

If GT were to do that, it would definitely not fit the "40 year program" pronouncements.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I think it was a mutual split with Renfree. Coach told him he wouldn't be a good fit, Sean understood and looked elsewhere. It worked out well for Sean at Duke.

Yes, it did work out the best for both parties.

I just never again want to hear a Ga Tech coach use those words about a young S/A. Not the way to do it.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Sean Renfree - "Don't want him, Dont need him."

It happens, but feel bad for kids with no other options,

Do you actually believe we would have prevented Renfree from joining the team if he had wanted to try running Johnson’s offense? No, we would have let him on the team, proven to him that he was by far the worst fit for the system, and then put him on scout team (probably would have helped our defense, to be honest). A mutual decision is entirely different from a unilateral one.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
What you wrote here makes sense, but the key word here is “option”. If a kid wants to go somewhere else where they’ll fit better, they should be allowed to. However if a kid still wants to go there and try their best to fit in the new system, they should be allowed that opportunity.
Agreed

Milwaukee

Banned
Not sure what the truth is here. Some L'ville people are saying Satterfield pulled the offers and some are saying he advised them to look elsewhere based on scheme but did not force anyone out or pull anything, a lot of them were jumping ship left and right when his hire was announced. Either way it's not a good look.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
99% of recruits go to school to play football. If you are not a fit for a new system, you probably should go somewhere you are. If you want it, you can get a good education at any school.