Did GT, dodge a bullet?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
If you don't think a guy will work for you and your system, why wouldn't you tell them? I don't get it. They have time to pursue other opportunities at this stage in the game.
We were discussing this in https://gtswarm.com/threads/acc-football-thread.15501/page-79
Here is a quote from the article:
"The Franklin-Simpson senior said he typically takes advanced placement courses but elected not to this year because he was going to graduate early. Instead, he took first-semester classes at a local technical college, which he said has already completed registration for second semester.

“I haven’t even talked to the new head coach,” Randolph said. “He’s never called, so I have no clue what he thinks.”

One parent said one of the other prospects already had a dorm room assignment and move-in date for early January. As late as Sunday morning, Louisville’s coaching staff affirmed plans for the commits to take official visits next weekend.

Now, they must find new schools with just over a week until the early signing period and two months until the February option."

I am sorry, but that is a lot more than just "If you don't think a guy will work for you and your system, why wouldn't you tell them?".

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
It looks bad, but would you rather get there and they throw you on the scout team or down the depth chart with no chance to play?
I’m glad we are honoring our offers, because a Tech degree means a lot. We also had the no visit once committed rule, which probably ended their recruitment a while ago. I just hope we are honest with guys that GC probably wouldn’t recruit (Aback types) or would recruit at different positions(QBs to WR/DB). Part of honoring their scholly should be a frank discussion about where they fit into the new regimes plans, and giving them a chance to find other opportunities

It just looks bad for Louisville because I don’t know how they fill their class with D1 players now. They will probably reach for former App St targets.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
If you don't think a guy will work for you and your system, why wouldn't you tell them? I don't get it. They have time to pursue other opportunities at this stage in the game.
I’m with you... “Yea you can still have your scholarship but you won’t never play so here’s your opportunity to go somewhere else”

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
It looks bad, but would you rather get there and they throw you on the scout team or down the depth chart with no chance to play?
I’m glad we are honoring our offers, because a Tech degree means a lot. We also had the no visit once committed rule, which probably ended their recruitment a while ago. I just hope we are honest with guys that GC probably wouldn’t recruit (Aback types) or would recruit at different positions(QBs to WR/DB). Part of honoring their scholly should be a frank discussion about where they fit into the new regimes plans, and giving them a chance to find other opportunities

It just looks bad for Louisville because I don’t know how they fill their class with D1 players now. They will probably reach for former App St targets.
Loserville will be early-mid 1980s bad in 2019

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I’m with you... “Yea you can still have your scholarship but you won’t never play so here’s your opportunity to go somewhere else”
If this was what happened. That is not the picture that is being painted in the article.
Edit: I really want to reemphasize this:
One parent said one of the other prospects already had a dorm room assignment and move-in date for early January. As late as Sunday morning, Louisville’s coaching staff affirmed plans for the commits to take official visits next weekend.

Now, they must find new schools with just over a week until the early signing period and two months until the February option.

Maybe the "journalist" is taking liberties here, but if a student was planning on enrolling early and changed his high school academics around it, and then his offer gets pulled, that is beyond reproach in my eyes.

Last edited:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We were discussing this in https://gtswarm.com/threads/acc-football-thread.15501/page-79

I am sorry, but that is a lot more than just "If you don't think a guy will work for you and your system, why wouldn't you tell them?".
There's a difference in honoring the scholarship, but telling them they might not play, or don't honor and now they have nothing.

Most of these guys have multiple offers rather than a single offer from one school. two months should be sufficient time. i think the coach did them a favor. honesty is usually the best policy in my experience.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Most of these guys have multiple offers rather than a single offer from one school. two months should be sufficient time. i think the coach did them a favor. honesty is usually the best policy in my experience.
These aren't just offers. They are talking about actual commits. These are players who committed to playing for the team, not undecided recruits. They may not have signed yet, but according to the report, one of them took specific classes just to make sure he could enroll early.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
Nothing abnormal about this UNLESS they were wrongfully told their scholarship offers would be honored regardless of a new staff.

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Nothing abnormal about this UNLESS they were wrongfully told their scholarship offers would be honored regardless of a new staff.

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"
People not reading the article? https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ses-2-more-commitments-2019-class/2267321002/
“We were told from somebody at Louisville that all of the commits that were still there were going to have their scholarship hold up, no matter what happened with the new coach,” Randolph said.
“From everything that we read that Vince Tyra said, the commits were good,” a parent said. “Their scholarships would still be honored. I guess we should have took that with a grain of salt when he never personally reached out to us. Satterfield never reached out to us.”

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
I have zero problem with this. I hope our coach does the same for any players that don’t fit the new system. Why, as a player, would you want to committ to a program where you’re not needed?

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow
I have zero problem with this. I hope our coach does the same for any players that don’t fit the new system. Why, as a player, would you want to committ to a program where you’re not needed?

You mean to tell me if you got accepted to Tech as a student then the school President was replaced and then you got a letter saying sorry, with change in leadership, your academic talents are no longer wanted here, you wouldn’t be pissed off?

Cause that’s what happened to these guys.