did cpj really yell for austin to "get away from the ball"?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The important part of what Lance did was look around before he got to the ball. Had there been an FSU player around, I doubt he touches the ball. Since he looked around and didn't see an FSU player anywhere near him, he picked it up. I'm reading his mind a little, but that's what the thought process looked like to me. He definitely looked around to see if there was anyone else around him.
Agreed. The fact that he looked around first, and saw no danger, means that his head was screwed on right. There was very little risk in him picking the ball up after seeing that there were no maroon shirts within 25 yards of him. I'm especially glad because it worked out AND made him look like an intelligent player. It was the RIGHT decision AND a helluva play.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Take note:

In general, on a blocked punt the punting team is in a better position to get more guys to the ball faster. That's a recipe for stooping to grab and getting laid out and fumbling.

Its the same logic behind calling a fair catch- you dont want to not be in total control with t minus .5 to pain.

But, FSU did not run to it.

Animal02

Banned
Agreed. The fact that he looked around first, and saw no danger, means that his head was screwed on right. There was very little risk in him picking the ball up after seeing that there were no maroon shirts within 25 yards of him. I'm especially glad because it worked out AND made him look like an intelligent player. It was the RIGHT decision AND a helluva play.
I saw a comment by him that said he was thinking about game situation.... that you don't pick up a blocked kick except at the end of a half.....definitely a smart kid......but then it should be expected...he is at Tech.