did cpj really yell for austin to "get away from the ball"?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
He said he was worried about a touch and turnover, and already had OT on his mind. Went on to say that he then saw no noles moving toward the ball, saw him pick it up, saw an open field for him, and started yelling for him to run. Said post game he was glad Lance didn't hear him say stay away. He was less wordy but that's the best I can explain it.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
In an interview with Jack Arute, Jack asked CPJ about that. CPJ replied that it is standard procedure not to try to pick it up because if you drop or fumble it then the other team can run it in for a TD. I interpret that to mean that the odds of something bad happening > the odds of something good happening. Good thing Lance wasn't listening.

You can listen to the interview - they talk about other stuff - go to http://www.siriusxm.com/ and search for Jack Arute's show - all the recent interviews (including one with St. Mark denying any interest in the Miami job) are available.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Conventional wisdom is that you get away from that ball. This is like a guy in the World Series missing the "bunt" sign from the coach and hitting the game-winning homerun. Technically, what he did was against the book-- but it won the game.

Everybody is happy.

But it doesn't mean that in a special-teams room they haven't discussed, all over again, what to do next time. I'm purely speculating, but guess this was a topic.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I was in the camp yelling for him to get away from the ball at first...gotta admit, that was a pretty intense moment...but yeah, when no one from FSU went back there it makes it pretty easy to pick it up. Lance even said he looked back to see if any FSU players were coming (you can see it on the tape).

Declinometer

Banned
I saw him get him half heartedly giving the safe sign for a brief moment but I didn't see him yelling. Almost all of the time "get away" is the prudent message.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Lance also said that the coaches previously instructed players to get away from the ball on a blocked field goal that crosses the line of scrimmage, EXCEPT at the end of a half. Said he remembered that during the play. So Kudos to both Lance and the special team's coach.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Lance also said that the coaches previously instructed players to get away from the ball on a blocked field goal that crosses the line of scrimmage, EXCEPT at the end of a half. Said he remembered that during the play. So Kudos to both Lance and the special team's coach.

@GTRX7 just beat me to it. Lance said that "... EXCEPT AT END OF HALF OR GAME."

Darn thing he remembered!

Biggest reason being that if the ball is not advanced to at least the previous line of scrimmage, the defending team ends up with worse field position than they would have if ball advancement had not been attempted. Then there is the also the possibility of muffing and fumbling.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We must give coach Ray his due props for having Lance well drilled in the scenario that unfolded. Lance said we practice exactly what happened, not only that he should pick it up, but that the others should head to the field and set up a wall.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The important part of what Lance did was look around before he got to the ball. Had there been an FSU player around, I doubt he touches the ball. Since he looked around and didn't see an FSU player anywhere near him, he picked it up. I'm reading his mind a little, but that's what the thought process looked like to me. He definitely looked around to see if there was anyone else around him.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
The important part of what Lance did was look around before he got to the ball. Had there been an FSU player around, I doubt he touches the ball. Since he looked around and didn't see an FSU player anywhere near him, he picked it up. I'm reading his mind a little, but that's what the thought process looked like to me. He definitely looked around to see if there was anyone else around him.
I'm sort of remembering him commenting on that in the on field interview right after the game.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Agreed, he looks like he was checking before he touched it, and DEFINITELY said he did in the post game presser. Good work by Lance making the right call and the team getting downfield for the wall

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
This was a player making a play and maybe even a little desperation finally hitting him.
Every Friday walk through you go over these scenarios: any kick that goes over the line of scrimmage, you are always instructed to get away. This was great awareness on the part of Lance to finally want to be "that guy" to help