Did Anyone Catch This??? College entry requirements for the coming cycle

MidtownJacket

Staff member
As the newest moderator I am reluctant to move or remove posts. I think we all want a civil discourse that allows for disagreements.
My take (as a non-mod) was that the broader context of schools doing this for the larger student body is on-topic, and as long as people used that context to discuss the GT Athlete experience specifically, it was fair game. Presuming people don't turn it into a devolved, but your side is evil and my side is beyond reproach.

The conversation between @RonJohn @YJMD @forensicbuzz and myself above didn't get reported / moved, I presume, because it fell inside that space. We also found that reasonable people can disagree reasonably. :cool: (y) :gt:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Since I was responsible for the original offshoot of this bit, I went looking for an article I had read a few months back that informed my thinking on this topic. It was a Forbes article from February of this year specifically talking to the university system of California’s logic and reasoning behind waiving the requirement prior to the Covid-19 concerns.

If this is out of line to continue engaging here (apologies in advance) Forbes link:

Remember they chose to waive it anyway but this was the counter argument presented; pertinent passage [bolding is my own for emphasis]

The University of California’s faculty review committee echoes this argument, arguing that the tests help system schools identify talented students from low-income or minority backgrounds. The committee’s report also contradicts existing research, claiming that SAT scores are a better predictor of student success than high school GPA.

For any given high school GPA, a student admitted with a low SAT score is between two and five times more likely to drop out after one year, and up to three times less likely to complete their degree compared to a student with a high score,” the report argues.

Dropping a standardized test requirement necessarily means that admissions committees must rely more heavily on high school grades. But if grades become the metric by which applicants are judged, high schools will have an incentive to hand out A’s like Halloween candy. Grade inflation of this sort could destroy high school GPA’s usefulness as an indicator of student aptitude.

I didn’t continue the topic here because I didn’t want to stray too far off the point, and because when discussing it with other posters I realized this year will be a good sample to track and see if graduation rates dip. The data will show the results one way or another.

I do stand by my previous comment that I think this is generally a mistake for the overall student body (athletes included). The grade inflation scenario is a real issue, especially for athletes, and while I fully acknowledge the flaws of the standardized tests disproportionately skewing lower when looking at “disadvantaged youths” collectively, I think it fair to say if you struggle with the tests than you would struggle similarly with the academic rigor of GT. That is an objective statement devoid of political bias.
We saw grade inflation in Georgia with Hope Scholarship coming in. That's why they had to modify the program and create the Zell Miller Scholarship level. Too many kids were meeting the minimum requirements and there wasn't enough money to cover all that. To that, I say "shame on you teachers that inflated grades. Shame on you administrators that pushed the teachers to inflate the grades."

All this being said, I have never thought gpa was a great metric for identifying who will be successful at university or in a job. Give me the guy with a 2.8, co-op experience, and a broad exposure over the 3.8 gpa that puts on blinders and gets the academics done.

As for college admissions, there are tons of ways to evaluate prospective students that are more meaningful than a standardized test that has proven built-in biases.

As the newest moderator I am reluctant to move or remove posts. I think we all want a civil discourse that allows for disagreements.
Since the mods preceding you have banned most posters from the political threads, just leave it alone. We are all adults here; what harm does it do to discuss potentially political issues in a supposedly open forum?