Did Anyone Catch This??? College entry requirements for the coming cycle

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Bad we can't take a bunch of people that then fail out of the Institute.

Unless I am missing something here, I would argue that this is a good thing. No need to invest time or energy into development of players who are only going to leave after 1 -2 years.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Unless I am missing something here, I would argue that this is a good thing. No need to invest time or energy into development of players who are only going to leave after 1 -2 years.

its more the second half of what I said. SEC schools can do this and it not matter. Which means they bolster numbers WE cannot. We are therefore behind the 8ball further.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
This might be more related to availability of test seats than wanting to get rid or requirements. I believe the University System of Georgia is one of only a few systems that are requiring test scores for acceptance of all students. There are plenty of incoming high school seniors who would be applying for college right now who were planning to take the SAT or ACT this past Spring. The testing shut down in March. Some of the usual testing sites are not available now. If a student can't find a seat to take the test, is it fair to use the lack of a score to keep them out of college? (or playing sports?)

With that said, there have been schools and organizations looking to eliminate testing scores from college admissions. If they are unable to use test scores because the tests weren't available for all students and the incoming students still do well in college, it will strengthen their argument.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
The type of players we would benefit from athletically who couldn’t make a score we would not want anyway.

If the only thing we cared about was football performance you are just flat our wrong here mate. If we want to maximize our football performance and land 5 star lineman and 5 star DL we very much want those players and we want a degree to hide them in.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If the only thing we cared about was football performance you are just flat our wrong here mate. If we want to maximize our football performance and land 5 star lineman and 5 star DL we very much want those players and we want a degree to hide them in.
Offensive linemen are most often the most intelligent players on the field. No need to "hide" them. Interior DL usually perform the least well on the Wonderlic test.

Deleted member 2897

Well there you go. Let’s start some Underwater Basket Weaving Technology degrees amirite?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I think the whole notion of removing the standardized test scores is fraught with challenges. I, like basically every person I knew who went to GT, knew kids freshman year who showed up as a top 5% student in their high school only to fail out 1st semester. You need a standard measuring stick to evaluate a kid's academic ability. It isn't fair to anyone (the student who gets in but is unprepared/fails/is hosed for looking at transfer options or falls WAY BEHIND but stays at GT, the student who doesn't get in and could have better used that spot, the teachers/support staff at the Institute who are working with kids that aren't prepared for the workload, the parents who foot the bill, the list goes on and on).

I understand the argument that there is a subset of our kids who score disproportionately lower on the SAT / ACT, but that means we should rework those tests to be more indicative of the skills and fundamentals needed to be successful in college. We are treating symptoms of the problem, not the problem itself which is fix the broken K-12 situation that leads to kids being behind on reading comprehension/math/science etc.

Other than (as previously mentioned) kids coming in for a one and done kind of experience - which isn't what GT is all about - I don't see this being a good thing. Kids nationwide are going to find themselves in trouble academically and schools are going to have one less, flawed as it may be, data point to assess who can be tutored up and who won't be successful here. At least with the athletes someone from the school is talking with / evaluating the kids - for the general population (if we move to expanding the admissions requirement long term) it'll be a recipe for many mismatches.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Offensive linemen are most often the most intelligent players on the field. No need to "hide" them. Interior DL usually perform the least well on the Wonderlic test.

Offensive lineman are yes, but often they are intelligent enough to know if they have NFL talent they aren't coming here when they can have an easier path elsewhere.

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
Biggest gripe is why is the NCAA mandating this for all college athletes but when it comes to normal students, it's up to the school to determine whether they are waiving test scores or not. They already get special admits for athletics... This is basically giving them even more.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Biggest gripe is why is the NCAA mandating this for all college athletes but when it comes to normal students, it's up to the school to determine whether they are waiving test scores or not. They already get special admits for athletics... This is basically giving them even more.

What? This is about determining who is eligible or not. The NCAA has no say in who is admitted to a university.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
Kind of a tangent, but I think Georgia Tech should expand our Applied Physiology program to have a bachelors degree. Sports medicine is a booming industry, and so many student athletes want to enter into it after they graduate. Focusing on the intersection of sports medicine and technology sounds right up Tech’s alley.

It would also be a good thing for the student body as a whole, it will help diversify our student body even further just like the business school did. Different kinds of people aside from awkward engineers would be nice! (I am an engineering major here so I’m talking about my own people haha!)

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I think the whole notion of removing the standardized test scores is fraught with challenges. I, like basically every person I knew who went to GT, knew kids freshman year who showed up as a top 5% student in their high school only to fail out 1st semester. You need a standard measuring stick to evaluate a kid's academic ability. It isn't fair to anyone (the student who gets in but is unprepared/fails/is hosed for looking at transfer options or falls WAY BEHIND but stays at GT, the student who doesn't get in and could have better used that spot, the teachers/support staff at the Institute who are working with kids that aren't prepared for the workload, the parents who foot the bill, the list goes on and on).

I understand the argument that there is a subset of our kids who score disproportionately lower on the SAT / ACT, but that means we should rework those tests to be more indicative of the skills and fundamentals needed to be successful in college. We are treating symptoms of the problem, not the problem itself which is fix the broken K-12 situation that leads to kids being behind on reading comprehension/math/science etc.

Other than (as previously mentioned) kids coming in for a one and done kind of experience - which isn't what GT is all about - I don't see this being a good thing. Kids nationwide are going to find themselves in trouble academically and schools are going to have one less, flawed as it may be, data point to assess who can be tutored up and who won't be successful here. At least with the athletes someone from the school is talking with / evaluating the kids - for the general population (if we move to expanding the admissions requirement long term) it'll be a recipe for many mismatches.

The big arguments this year have to do with availability to take the tests more than with whether the tests should be used at all or not. I have seen articles that state that some rising seniors had planned to take the tests last spring, but they were cancelled. Some of those people are having issues just getting a seat to take a test. People are complaining about the USG requiring tests this year when most university systems while many have removed the requirement for one year because of test availability issues. https://www.ajc.com/blog/get-school...-for-2021-not-georgia/fbDlYA7nV5KH7FZNh5wkbJ/

MidtownJacket

Staff member
The big arguments this year have to do with availability to take the tests more than with whether the tests should be used at all or not. I have seen articles that state that some rising seniors had planned to take the tests last spring, but they were cancelled. Some of those people are having issues just getting a seat to take a test. People are complaining about the USG requiring tests this year when most university systems while many have removed the requirement for one year because of test availability issues. https://www.ajc.com/blog/get-school...-for-2021-not-georgia/fbDlYA7nV5KH7FZNh5wkbJ/
Agreed, with your bolding. I should have been more clear in my post that I understood the distinction.

jackets55

Jolly Good Fellow
Unless the BOR change the rules, it won't help Georgia Universities.

"We understand that testing in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic is challenging and recognize the challenges students face finding and getting to a testing site. However, as part of the University System of Georgia, all first-year applicants must submit results of the SAT and/or the ACT to be considered for admission to Georgia Tech."

This is copied straight from the GT.edu website.