Did Anybody Notice..

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
that against Miami, we went on a different snap count a few times, on AB motion, to screw up their defensive rhythm? I am pretty sure we did, right? It happened so quietly, without a hitch even. I probably shouldn't bring it up because it sounds so basic, but we have struggled in the past with this.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
that against Miami, we went on a different snap count a few times, on AB motion, to screw up their defensive rhythm? I am pretty sure we did, right? It happened so quietly, without a hitch even. I probably shouldn't bring it up because it sounds so basic, but we have struggled in the past with this.
Easier to do at home with less crowd noise on offense. Although, we did it successfully in Blacksberg, which has been the hardest place to communicate noise-wise. It is a good omen for the team.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I thought the game last week was the best game we played offensively in a few years. We did a lot of little things that really well.

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we are better due to a full off-season focus on our basics. Clearly, all the words that were said along these lines have the ring of truth.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I didn't notice much defensive rhythm from Miami other than giving up the dive all night except on 4th and 2. :)

GoldBeard

Georgia Tech Fan
Yes, I noticed the timing change at least a few times. It was a nice surprise for me (and I'm sure the defense, too.)

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
This may be a little off subject, but will we ever actually run a play off of that "draw them offsides" play? It looks like we get into the wishbone almost in that formation and we could run a triple option out of that and really surprise some teams.

beernutts

Georgia Tech Fan
This may be a little off subject, but will we ever actually run a play off of that "draw them offsides" play? It looks like we get into the wishbone almost in that formation and we could run a triple option out of that and really surprise some teams.

How long have you watched GT football, because we have run a play from the draw-them-offsides thing after getting into the wishbone.

I'm pretty sure one of them was in the 2009 ACC Championship against Clemson.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
How long have you watched GT football, because we have run a play from the draw-them-offsides thing after getting into the wishbone.

I'm pretty sure one of them was in the 2009 ACC Championship against Clemson.
About 17 years, 14 or so of which I actually remember. I remember us running something like a standard handoff or a qb sneak but I want to run a real option play out of it. I think it would only help in that situation. Teams have gotten really relaxed when we run that of late.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
SHHHHHH!!!!! We want FSU's D to be sleeping when we run this.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ is no fool. You get a reputation for going for it and teams get twitchy. Now we have to not go for it for a while so that teams expect us to be trying to draw them offsides. It's a virtuous cycle.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I noticed a few times the Miami defense would jump, though not offsides, prior to the snap. I assumed that GT was altering the snap count. It was very smooth on the GT side indeed.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow

I know this was already responded to, but it bears repeating since the question is routinely asked. Yes, GT has run plays out of that formation and yes, opponents have jumped offsides. That said, it cannot be denied that the usual routine is motion AB #1, motion AB #2, hard count, and call a timeout.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I know we have run plays a couple times after we got set in that wishbone look, but I have always thought it would be a MAJOR shock to run rocket toss off the second A-back motion. It wouldn't be smart against all looks cuz you have one less A-back at the end of the line, but if they are set to stuff everything up the middle it could be wide open.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Remember Miami getting those off side penalties? I believe at least one of those was due to the change in the snap count.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
A few years back I seem to recall, when a reporter asked CPJ about it, that the team is supposed to read what the defense does when they go into this shift. It may even be that the quarterback has the option of running a play on an audible if the defense makes a mistake. I definitely have seen Tech set up in the wishbone and not run a play and then seen CPJ madder than a hornet when his quarterback comes off the field.