Dewberry contributions?

jacobchbe

Jolly Good Fellow
Imo it's pretty "douchey" to judge a person's character off of an article...that just might be biased to start with.

It's also douchey to proclaim anyone should be donating x amount based on their net worth or salary. If you want to disclaim the percentage of your pre tax income that you yourself donate...and set that as a standard you feel all fans should meet...have at it.

I will donate 10% of my net worth if Dewberry agrees to do the same.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Steve Zelnak led the search committee that identified AD candidates and advised Peterson to hire Bobinski. All public info, you can Google it. The Zelnaks have given GTAA well in excess of $5 million.

Donors will have influence, will be on the GTAA Board of Trustees, and will be on search committees. Doing those things is very different than individual donors dictating policies.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
From the GTAA site... will just drop this here...
"Through the years, Dewberry has been an ardent Georgia Tech supporter, attending many games. He's a Life Member of the Alexander-Tharpe Fund, and he is a member of the Alumni Association's board of trustees. Additionally, he has his own foundation that supports youth education initiatives."

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Not judging Dewberry at all, but if I’m ever worth 700 million I will basically become a non-profit human and donate any profits to Georgia Tech football.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Not judging Dewberry at all, but if I’m ever worth 700 million I will basically become a non-profit human and donate any profits to Georgia Tech football.
A couple of things:

We don't know how much he has donated to athletics or to the school. It is enough that he has a donor profile on the GTAA site, so most likely it is pretty significant.

People with the attitude that some arbitrary amount of money is enough do not get to a net worth of 700 million. Many extremely wealthy people drive common cars and are very frugal. Warren Buffett said during the Quicken Loans billion dollar tournament challenge that if someone was close to winning the billion dollars, he would offer them $50 million to back out. He said that to most people $50 million and $1 billion are the same. They are both some huge amount of money that most can't really comprehend.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
A couple of things:

We don't know how much he has donated to athletics or to the school. It is enough that he has a donor profile on the GTAA site, so most likely it is pretty significant.

People with the attitude that some arbitrary amount of money is enough do not get to a net worth of 700 million. Many extremely wealthy people drive common cars and are very frugal. Warren Buffett said during the Quicken Loans billion dollar tournament challenge that if someone was close to winning the billion dollars, he would offer them $50 million to back out. He said that to most people $50 million and $1 billion are the same. They are both some huge amount of money that most can't really comprehend.

I specifically said it wasn’t a knock on Dewberry. He can give as little or as much as he wants. I’m just specifying what I would do. And yes, I would probably drive the same car and live in the same house...I just wouldn’t have a payment on them. Depends on where the money is tied up, obviously, but you can pretty easily generate enough revenue with 700 million to never have to work very hard again the rest of your life if you love reasonably. ...and that is exactly what I’d do

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I specifically said it wasn’t a knock on Dewberry. He can give as little or as much as he wants. I’m just specifying what I would do. And yes, I would probably drive the same car and live in the same house...I just wouldn’t have a payment on them. Depends on where the money is tied up, obviously, but you can pretty easily generate enough revenue with 700 million to never have to work very hard again the rest of your life if you love reasonably. ...and that is exactly what I’d do
I understand that. However, with that attitude how much is enough? With $10 million in high dividend stocks, you could generate $300,000 income per year easily. With $30 million, you could generate about $1 million a year in dividend payments. If you are reasonable with the money, you would be very comfortable long before $700 million with no incentive to earn more. That is why I said such people wouldn't reach that level of net worth.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I wonder what the minimum is to be on that list but I'd bet that at least one (or more) is choosing to remain anonymous, perhaps.

The AT Fund site has a list of donors who have donated more than $1 million. The list has 23 people/couples, 8 deceased, and 13 anonymous. I haven't checked to see how many people with profiles are on that list, but any of them could just as easily be in the anonymous. I can see allowing a profile but not wanting to let everyone know how much you have donated.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I understand that. However, with that attitude how much is enough? With $10 million in high dividend stocks, you could generate $300,000 income per year easily. With $30 million, you could generate about $1 million a year in dividend payments. If you are reasonable with the money, you would be very comfortable long before $700 million with no incentive to earn more. That is why I said such people wouldn't reach that level of net worth.

I should have included that in my opinion, money doesn't really matter as it relates to being happy in life. At least as long as one has enough resources to pay for life's necessities. I have met people who are happy and don't have a lot of money, and I have met people who are miserable who have lots of money.