Dewberry contributions?

MWT89

Jolly Good Fellow
Not the most flattering article, but it's hard to argue with his success.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-09-12/atlanta-s-emperor-of-empty-lots

His estimated net worth is $700 million and a friend of mine who has worked with him said his goal is to become a billionaire.

I'm speculating, but Kim King, Taz Anderson and other former Tech football players who have had success in real estate must have helped him along the way.

I'm also under the impression - correct me if I'm wrong - that he's not a big backer of Tech athletics. Assuming that's true, why? He seems like the kind of guy who could make a sizable donation and really help Stansbury begin to compete in the arms race that NCAA football has become.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Not the most flattering article, but it's hard to argue with his success.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-09-12/atlanta-s-emperor-of-empty-lots

His estimated net worth is $700 million and a friend of mine who has worked with him said his goal is to become a billionaire.

I'm speculating, but Kim King, Taz Anderson and other former Tech football players who have had success in real estate must have helped him along the way.

I'm also under the impression - correct me if I'm wrong - that he's not a big backer of Tech athletics. Assuming that's true, why? He seems like the kind of guy who could make a sizable donation and really help Stansbury begin to compete in the arms race that NCAA football has become.
I know what you're saying, but you don't get a net worth of $700 million by giving it away.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
A lot of the richest people I know are the biggest penny pinchers. They know where every dollar they make is going and exactly how much they spend every month. They'll fight you tooth and nail over a $2 service charge on a bill.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Well, he didn't get the skybox for nothing I assume.

Would be interesting to find out what players from 80s & 90s think about the goings on in our program right now.

quadf

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm also under the impression - correct me if I'm wrong - that he's not a big backer of Tech athletics. Assuming that's true, why?

John dewberry has donated a good bit of money to the school, but I don't know how much he has donated gtaa specifically. I'm sure you don't mean ill, but I think its bad form to publicly call people out regarding their donations.

MWT89

Jolly Good Fellow
John dewberry has donated a good bit of money to the school, but I don't know how much he has donated gtaa specifically. I'm sure you don't mean ill, but I think its bad form to publicly call people out regarding their donations.

I should have used a different title for the thread and better worded my question. It does sound like, “hey, where’s his money?” I meant it in a more general sense because I simply don’t know what he does for the school. I don’t see his name currently associated with the program, but, of course, he could be doing loads behind the scenes.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure he played with Stansburry. Hopefully TOdd can talk him into writing some big checks.

He already has a donor profile page on the athletic department's website. It is pretty safe to say that he has donated more than all but maybe a couple on this forum. It is also pretty safe to say that he has donated more than the majority of this forum combined.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
He sounds like a douche based on that article, but I hope he donates to the football program.

Imo it's pretty "douchey" to judge a person's character off of an article...that just might be biased to start with.

It's also douchey to proclaim anyone should be donating x amount based on their net worth or salary. If you want to disclaim the percentage of your pre tax income that you yourself donate...and set that as a standard you feel all fans should meet...have at it.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
John is a huge supporter of Tech - academics and athletics - in terms of both time and money.

We seem to get the big dollars when we need them (indoor practice facility, thrillerdome renovations). I wonder how we compare to a school like Clemson in terms of small donations i.e. IPTAY fund. I'm guessing not well.

jacobchbe

Jolly Good Fellow
Imo it's pretty "douchey" to judge a person's character off of an article...that just might be biased to start with.

It's also douchey to proclaim anyone should be donating x amount based on their net worth or salary. If you want to disclaim the percentage of your pre tax income that you yourself donate...and set that as a standard you feel all fans should meet...have at it.
Is that you Dewberry? I never said I am not a douche. I also don't care about your opinion.