Desmond Howard: The Heisman GT almost had

Techster

Helluva Engineer
David Pollack was another guy we were thisclose to getting. But he ended up you know where...which is funny, because as close as he was to being a Jacket, he sure likes to take potshots at GT on twitter.

Bud Dupree, first round pick for the Steelers, was All SEC and I believe All AMerican, that went to Kentucky WANTED to sign with us. As I understand it, Al Groh didn't think he would fit in his 3-4 scheme and didn't even give Dupree the time of day.

Herschel Walker almost ended up here, but 7 of his 8 personalities fought him on it. :)

northgajacket

Banned
David Pollack was another guy we were thisclose to getting. But he ended up you know where...which is funny, because as close as he was to being a Jacket, he sure likes to take potshots at GT on twitter.

Bud Dupree, first round pick for the Steelers, was All SEC and I believe All AMerican, that went to Kentucky WANTED to sign with us. As I understand it, Al Groh didn't think he would fit in his 3-4 scheme and didn't even give Dupree the time of day.

Herschel Walker almost ended up here, but 7 of his 8 personalities fought him on it. :)

But I though Tech wasn't a rival to uga.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Matt Ryan almost went to Tech as well. I don't think Chan would have been fired if he had had matt ryan throwing to calvin johnson.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Matt Ryan almost went to Tech as well. I don't think Chan would have been fired if he had had matt ryan throwing to calvin johnson.

The irony of Chan Gailey will always be he lacked a "Pro Style" QB to make his offense hum. He definitely recruited well enough on the OL and at the skill positions, but just couldn't get that QB...until it was too late. He had Stephen Threat and Nesbitt signed to his last class (Both 4 star QBs...though I've always thought Nesbitt would probably have moved to safety eventually under Chan), and had the committment of a future NFL QB (Sean Renfree), but then got fired.