Derek Mason Leaves Auburn

JacketFan137

Banned
Yeah, we are not in the conversation for a guy who was making 1.5 million as DC at Auburn.
yeah this is why the coaching carousel will never be as exciting for tech as people want it to be.

kentucky is a program that has seen relatively little success, and outside of basketball i think their athletics aren’t held in much higher regard than us, and their coach is paid approximately 5.3 mil and dc (who is absolutely not a household name) is making 875k

collins makes about 2.8 mil and thacker was being paid 450k

so basically what i’m saying is we’re only getting assistants who are either on the way up and we poached them from a g5/fcs team or they’re very bad at their job in the SEC and can’t find a gig anywhere.

until the gtaa wants to spend some money don’t expect any big name assistant hires for us

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
until the gtaa wants to spend some money don’t expect any big name assistant hires for us
Big difference betweenn wanting and having the ability. A certain AD and the stadium expansion has strangled us with debt. We are being fools and not paying any of it off so the interest keeps hanging in there. I could be wrong but I dont think we have paid any of the football stadium expansion off what over 20 years ago or so? The GTAA keeps compounding bad decision after the next

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Big difference betweenn wanting and having the ability. A certain AD and the stadium expansion has strangled us with debt. We are being fools and not paying any of it off so the interest keeps hanging in there. I could be wrong but I dont think we have paid any of the football stadium expansion off what over 20 years ago or so? The GTAA keeps compounding bad decision after the next

I've said for years GT's problem isn't money, it's the decision makers who make bad business decisions. It's a like groundhog's day with our decision makers and their bad business moves and contract decisions.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I've said for years GT's problem isn't money, it's the decision makers who make bad business decisions. It's a like groundhog's day with our decision makers and their bad business moves and contract decisions.
I hope not springing for a competent DC doesn't prove to be one of those bad decisions. Penny wise and pound foolish.

Hope I'm wrong and Geoff straightens out the defense.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I hope not springing for a competent DC doesn't prove to be one of those bad decisions. Penny wise and pound foolish.

Hope I'm wrong and Geoff straightens out the defense.
The problem with bringing in a new DC is that Collins is a D guy, and he wants to own that side this season.

It doesn’t make much sense to spend on someone who wants to run something different schematically and if you’re keeping along the CGC themes having CAT there to combine with him as a second voice for the scheme isn’t a terrible idea.

Similar to the disconnect bwteeen CDP and CBK/CTC on how to run the O.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The problem with bringing in a new DC is that Collins is a D guy, and he wants to own that side this season.

It doesn’t make much sense to spend on someone who wants to run something different schematically and if you’re keeping along the CGC themes having CAT there to combine with him as a second voice for the scheme isn’t a terrible idea.

Similar to the disconnect bwteeen CDP and CBK/CTC on how to run the O.
In theory. Hope he knows what he's doing.
But there are plenty of successful head coaches around who were once upon a time DC's but have someone else running their defense. Hope it works out...

MidtownJacket

Staff member
In theory. Hope he knows what he's doing.
But there are plenty of successful head coaches around who were once upon a time DC's but have someone else running their defense. Hope it works out...
Agreed that there are other ways of doing it, but I am actually aligned with him saying, "I know what I am capable of, who is the DC most likely to help me get my vision and scheme out of this funk" and picking the guy who has been studying under him as that person.

I am disappointed with our performance to date, and wish things were different. In a Must Win year like this upcoming season though, the short term may benefit from this arrangement with less dissonance or confusion. He isn't getting more time either way, so avoiding mass shakeups on both sides of the ball makes sense to me. Either he is better than our record indicates or he isn't and this feels like a way for us all to find out.

CGC has done some remarkable work in recruiting and I hold out, significantly less now than when he started, hope that he can be the right guy for GT at this moment in time.

Hope springs eternal, Give 'em Hell Tech!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's pretty obvious that Collins will be the DC in all but name this season.
The only question left at this point imo is will Thacker still be the 'official' DC or will he be moved to a non coaching position or leave.

The more the days go by and we hear nothing it feels like Thacker will retain the DC title, but not have any coaching responsibilities, so that he and Collins can concentrate on defensive game planning. They could also simply be waiting until after the February signing period to announce anything as Thacker appears to be a good recruiter.

If Thacker does stay and does keep the DC title than that means special teams will have to be split amongst current coaches.

I'd be surprised if Thacker left GT completely as I think he and Collins are simply so close that Collins cannot even think of taking that step. I also think it is unlikely, though not impossible, he would be 'demoted' from a coaching position for the same reason.

FWIW, here is a statistical deep dive into the defensive performance for this past season. The overall story is that while the secondary was among the all-time worst, even the DL and the LB's did little to be impressed with.

That review is why if the thought is that the primary defensive problem was a horrible secondary and if we just fix that the defense will be ok than I am afraid it will be another long season. We need significant improvement at all 3 levels of the defense to be an adequate defense.