Depth, substitution, being completely gassed late

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Lack of the first two and extra of the third may have been our downfall, especially on D. Not just this game, but in most of our losses. As we all know but sometimes forget the magnitude of it's importance, football games are long and very exhausting. There's a reason why you have 85 guys on scholarship when all you need is 11 at a time. If you don't have enough quality players to substitute regularly throughout the game, your guys are toast by the end. This may explain why our OT records are abysmal, too.

Our D looked as if it was running in quicksand from mid 3rd qtr to the end of double OT. Our OL wasn't getting nearly the push it got early, either. Why else did we struggle mightily to move the ball. When Ugag tied it up late in the 4th, all we needed was to get into field goal range and could even do that. The D needed ONE stop in the fourth qtr to win the game and couldn't get it.

The 4th down play Ugag converted with 9 minutes left was a microcosm of the game and season and the identity of this team.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We knew substitution was a problem under groh. Andrew Williams said not substituting on DL was a gt thong and blamed our loss on it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I've been wondering about this for a while now. When I watch good defenses, for example, they seem to rotate more than we do. I always chalk it up to our lack of quality depth, but at some point we gotta give our guys a rest. It comes back to bite us time and time again. Sure the backups are a step down but it's not like they're total scrubs. Heck they'll be starting next year.

Anthony Williams little bro had a pretty damning quote on the subject in todays AJC, as AE alludes to.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Lack of the first two and extra of the third may have been our downfall, especially on D. Not just this game, but in most of our losses. As we all know but sometimes forget the magnitude of it's importance, football games are long and very exhausting. There's a reason why you have 85 guys on scholarship when all you need is 11 at a time. If you don't have enough quality players to substitute regularly throughout the game, your guys are toast by the end. This may explain why our OT records are abysmal, too.

Our D looked as if it was running in quicksand from mid 3rd qtr to the end of double OT. Our OL wasn't getting nearly the push it got early, either. Why else did we struggle mightily to move the ball. When Ugag tied it up late in the 4th, all we needed was to get into field goal range and could even do that. The D needed ONE stop in the fourth qtr to win the game and couldn't get it.

The 4th down play Ugag converted with 9 minutes left was a microcosm of the game and season and the identity of this team.

but wait how can that be? Paul said 1-85 we are better than when he took over but not 1-10. Doesn't that mean we should be deeper? LOL

I agree with you, and we aren't better 1-85 or 1-10...probably worse and the lines are way worse. And this all starts up front. Its football.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
The lack of substitution throughout the game on the d-line was a horrible mistake. Roof should know better. I have seen Kitchen, Green, Williams, Stargel etc... enough to know that they are capable of playing a few plays here and there to give the starters some rest. No one says you have to play them all at once. A fresh player is better than a gassed starter 99.9% 0f the time. You take a guy who is dying to get in the game and goes all out for two or three plays you will get a better result than having an exhausted player leaning on the o-line with nothing left in the tank.

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
GT typically rotates the d line when they can. The problem is a lot of the teams they play, including uga in the second half run uptempo no huddle offenses. And it hard to rotate and get the plays in with that. Especially d linemen.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
From a defensive depth perspective we should be deeper next year barring injuries, and depending in who we redshirt.

The O line will be razor thin if we redshirt. By my count we will only be two deep across the line.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
From a defensive depth perspective we should be deeper next year barring injuries, and depending in who we redshirt.

The O line will be razor thin if we redshirt. By my count we will only be two deep across the line.

Burden
Chamberlain
Roberts
Griffin
Devine
Joe
Braun
O'Reily
Mason
Bailey

That will be all the scholarship guys...Brigham is a walk on put he will likely be playing.

May have to burn a shirt or two.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I am also worried about the DL...DE is a big concern to me. Who is going to provide a pass rush?

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Brigham probably goes on scholly. He was the #3 at OG most of the 2nd half of the season.
Stallard and Muns are "preferred" walk-ons and will play down the line. Not sure about next season.

No one ever has enough offensive linemen. Bobby Ross used to preach that you needed 16 OL on scholly at all times.
And, of course, he was never able to do so.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I am also worried about the DL...DE is a big concern to me. Who is going to provide a pass rush?

I have had much more success in a pass rush by developing DTs rather than DEs. I know every team in the country would like to have players like Jerimiah, or Derrick Morgan at DE, but a good pass rush really needs to start on the interior. If our DTs can be vicious on the interior to require a double team the pass rush will take care of itself. Look at what Pitt could do with one good DT. If both DTs can require a double team you get an automatic numbers advantage. The DTs can open up a pass rush in ways good DEs can only dream of by getting an automatic +1 advantage on each side of the LOS. If the DTs tie up the interior the DEs just play contain and LBs can come in unblocked for pressure or to play the run. In the past few years we have not had that presence at DT, but I think we have some guys that may have that nasty streak in them, if we can develop them and teach them how to unleash it.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have had much more success in a pass rush by developing DTs rather than DEs. I know every team in the country would like to have players like Jerimiah, or Derrick Morgan at DE, but a good pass rush really needs to start on the interior. If our DTs can be vicious on the interior to require a double team the pass rush will take care of itself. Look at what Pitt could do with one good DT. If both DTs can require a double team you get an automatic numbers advantage. The DTs can open up a pass rush in ways good DEs can only dream of by getting an automatic +1 advantage on each side of the LOS. If the DTs tie up the interior the DEs just play contain and LBs can come in unblocked for pressure or to play the run. In the past few years we have not had that presence at DT, but I think we have some guys that may have that nasty streak in them, if we can develop them and teach them how to unleash it.
+1. There is no substitute for the bull rush on the interior pushing the pocket back. It makes everybody else better. I think Gotsis has potential to improve but he isn't nearly strong enough or big enough right now to be the player you speak of. He has a good frame and good legs. Maybe he makes some gains in the off season. We need DTs most of all. I wonder how Commishiong is coming along? Will Kallon make a jump? He is big and agile. Should Devine move over?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Rightly or wrongly, I'm not concerned about DT. Green, Kitchens, and Gotsis have already shown me enough for me to be confident in them. Add Kallon and Commisiong to that list, and I reckon we'll bee okay. I'm less certain about DE, especially with the move of Drummond there before Harrell got hurt.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Kallen & Gamble should pay a visit with Chuck Smith during the summer.
Maybe some true freshman will get a chance next year.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
Rightly or wrongly, I'm not concerned about DT. Green, Kitchens, and Gotsis have already shown me enough for me to be confident in them. Add Kallon and Commisiong to that list, and I reckon we'll bee okay. I'm less certain about DE, especially with the move of Drummond there before Harrell got hurt.
I thought Drummond was a Senior.