Depth Chart

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
This latest recruiting class must be pretty good! I counted 10 different true freshmen on the depth chart.

Also, I suspect Buster has an interesting game plan for Saturday. Normally, one starting WR would be a big X- type receiver. However, all three starting receivers are either slot/y or flanker/z types. I’m curious what he has in mind to keep Singleton and Lane from getting jammed at the line of scrimmage.

In a recent interview Singleton was asked about getting jammed at the line. His reply was something like "yeah they have tried it but with my speed they won't do that no more". Jamming a smaller guy may be tempting but if he can seriously out run you it is probably not so much of a concern. Players have also indicated that the new WR coach has put serious practice time working on beating the jam. We shall see soon.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
That stockton WR kid seems to be inching his way onto the field. Remember that small Clemson WR who was not fast, but was always open on 3rd down , never dropped the ball and always got the 1st down.
It seemed like he played for 7 years.

Fun to wstch this Stockton kid.
Aaron Philo is the top passing QB in GA HS football history at 13,922, 20 yards more than Trevor Lawrence, and almost 4000 more than Brock Vandagriff.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Only having 11 players listed for 5 DB spots is what raised my eyebrows. That is not a lot of depth at all because those positions tend to suffer a lot of attrition. Obviously there is room for guys to step up and make the chart as the season goes on.

I too was surprised to see MacKenny 3rd string after starting last season. Hopefully due to that trio really stepping it up and pushing the incumbent.

Three True Freshmen made the chart from the OL. Not expecting to see the true Freshmen plays much at all against FSU.
It's a 2 deep not a full depth chart. More players may be ready to play. Any position with more than 2 has "or" implying 2 or more players are equal. But in the end it isn't going to be a great representation of the participation chart apart from the starters.

TampaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Goede is a disappointment if he's that far down the depth chart. He's got the pedigree (4-star recruit) and experience (7 starts at Miss St last year) so wonder what the deal is. I am interested to see how Avery Boyd looks in-line. Shocked he's #1A this early.

Ethan Mackenny as clear backup right after earning freshman AA is very interesting. Good for Jordan Brown if he's showed out enough to jump him.

Also a little surprised at Tobe/Gibbs not at starting nickel. Thought we had heard a lot out of them this spring. Burrell was another name that showed up a lot and he earned a starting spot.

Also Canion is not listed. Potential RS candidate?
Goede is gonna play quite a bit. The backup TEs are listed by number with "or" in front of the names. Doubt he is option 5.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Goede is gonna play quite a bit. The backup TEs are listed by number with "or" in front of the names. Doubt he is option 5.
I think it's more you expect a former SEC starter and 4* recruit to take the job by force.. not end up with 10 snaps a game. At best he's option 3 and that's only because Seither got hurt. Like I said, I am excited to see a thicker Boyd though.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Anyone know about WR Zion Taylor? He did some good things in the Spring game.

Taylor is good enough to be on a depth chart but no room this week. He will likely play some after the Ireland dust settles and some bumps and bruises occur on some players. Same for Hamilton at LB and Dickins at RB and Beetham at TE and Dowdell at CB and Adams at DL. Except for Safety we now have some very good depth and even at Safety we have some versatile players at other positions to cover a need.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Stockton was Philo's go-to WR in high school, so even if he's not a starter this year, he's got a head start for our team in the future.
Lane was a favorite of King at Tex AM and in first 1.5 gt games for 66 yds = 500 yds if 12 games.

I hope a young Stockton or t e Harp will be our guys like Renfro was at Clemson as he makes the athletic wr very dangerous. Plus they will play for full 4 years.

With good routes, reads , and hands and you're a starter.

Last edited:

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Was listening to a podcast this am comparing this game to our opener with Clemson in 2022, in terms of eyeballs and a chance to prove ourselves on a national stage. Made me curious of the depth chart for that game. The depth and talent in some of our rooms compared to then is striking. I think that game was 17-10 at half? DJU was the QB.

Also, went and looked at FSU’s depth chart for their bowl blowout last year. Looks like they’ll start 5/11 from that starting offense and 7/11 from that starting defense. Essentially the same secondary and half of the DL, and 3/5 OL from that game.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
A bit surprised that Gibbs didn't show at Nickel.If that position is a 3rd LB type sometimes we need more size probably.Both Daniels and Shelley are smaller types.(theses days anyway) .IF IF the DL can hold up its ok but taking on 210 lb RBs. straight-on is a problem.
I too was surprised but Gibbs still has a valuable stake in the defense. Depth at safety is thin and depth at CB is almost as thin. Both Shelley and Gibbs would play a key role in player movements if we had injury issues at those positions. I would expext one or two player tweaks after game one and game two. I was surprised Shelley was not the third CB. We have a June arrivee freshman (no college PT) at the 4th CB position on the depth chart which is also a surprise.

sonngy

Georgia Tech Fan
Was listening to a podcast this am comparing this game to our opener with Clemson in 2022, in terms of eyeballs and a chance to prove ourselves on a national stage. Made me curious of the depth chart for that game. The depth and talent in some of our rooms compared to then is striking. I think that game was 17-10 at half? DJU was the QB.

Also, went and looked at FSU’s depth chart for their bowl blowout last year. Looks like they’ll start 5/11 from that starting offense and 7/11 from that starting defense. Essentially the same secondary and half of the DL, and 3/5 OL from that game.
I just cringed so hard looking at the “Above the Line” gimmick we used to have, I’m sooo glad that’s done with

ramblineck

Jolly Good Fellow

Not sure if it means much but seems like the young players (fr/so) that are still around from that “ATL roster” are a fair amount of this year’s starters (jr/sr). While the skill positions on offense are totally overhauled. Just an observation but no idea if it means anything