Depth Chart released

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
@Architorture23: Quite the paradox based on what you wrote. Glad to hear you did enjoy the OB win except for the performance by the defense.

You might want to consider how a current GT defender would interpret your comments given that you called out their "But 600 yards and 34 points..." performance. Ugh!

Probably the same way that I did. If you want to make a post about "bad defense" you ought to write about the North Carolina Tar Heels. Just a thought.
Most anybody would think 605 yards is something that needs a bunch of work going forward. The defense doesn't live in a nether world of unawareness. The fact that our offense was so dominating -- and I mean dominating, as in dominating, as in nobody expected such a thrashing, and a lot of it with what SEC lovers love to talk about, smash mouth, off tackle football -- can't shade that. The points would have bothered me had the game been contested in the second half, but otherwise, nah. (And give 'em the Hail Mary tipped TD. Great play and very well done. If you can stomach seeing it again look at the what, tipper? not just getting a hand on the ball, but -- batting the ball hard back toward the goal line where he knew somebody was supposed to be. That was really terrific, now that we won.)

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not picking on you or attacking you, just asking for some general comment. The word "concerning" means pertaining to or with regard to. In the last five years I suddenly have begun to hear this word used over and over again to mean "worrying about" or "having concerns about." Is this something people who use the word have always said or is this another one of those cases where the English language is in flux and we are now seeing the definition of a word changing simply through sheer brunt of use as more and more people change their syntax?

I am not being critical; it just "jars my ears" when I "hear it" and I notice that TV anchors and commentators now use it frequently and I am hearing it easily a hundred times more often than I heard it even five years ago.

No offense taken. I am very attune to grammatical mistakes, and this is one I was unaware of. (really more just a wrong use of a phrase/word) Let me correct this...

I am very concerned about Andrews not being shown on the 2-deep.

I think a lot of us on here mistake size for quality and depth. Our problem really isn't the size of our players, we just have some players on the DL that should really be playing other positions. Pat Gamble is a good example. He's serviceable at DT because of his size, but his skillset is really that of a DE. Does anyone remember him making an impact at DT? He was pretty much a just a body we had to use because the only "plus" DTs we had there were Shawn Green and Adam Gotsis at DT. When we finally moved him out to DE, he made a noticeable impact on the game.

That's why getting Jabari back and Kallon taking the next step (or two) is so crucial for us in 2015. They give us the flexibility to play guys along the DL at their best positions. I said it in another thread, having Jabari back gives us one of the best DLs in the ACC if not the country.
The best D line in the country ? You have got to be kidding right ? Your judging that off of a former LB playing DT. I hope your prediction is right but that's just crazy thinking.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The best D line in the country ? You have got to be kidding right ? Your judging that off of a former LB playing DT. I hope your prediction is right but that's just crazy thinking.
You never know. As Butch Cassidy, one of America's foremost philosophers once observed, "You just keeping thinking, Butch. That's what you're good at." Of course movies, I read once, require a suspension of disbelief, so let us believe the disbelief. It will get us through the next 100 days.

Most anybody would think 605 yards is something that needs a bunch of work going forward. The defense doesn't live in a nether world of unawareness. The fact that our offense was so dominating -- and I mean dominating, as in dominating, as in nobody expected such a thrashing, and a lot of it with what SEC lovers love to talk about, smash mouth, off tackle football -- can't shade that. The points would have bothered me had the game been contested in the second half, but otherwise, nah. (And give 'em the Hail Mary tipped TD. Great play and very well done. If you can stomach seeing it again look at the what, tipper? not just getting a hand on the ball, but -- batting the ball hard back toward the goal line where he knew somebody was supposed to be. That was really terrific, now that we won.)
Mississippi State was able to pull that off because (a) they moved the ball about 35 downfield in their 2-minute offense to get close enough for Prescott's arm. We offered little resistance on the previous 3 or four plays; and (b) almost no pressure on their qb--he was able to step up, set, and let it go without any harassment. We should be better this year with pressuring the passer.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Mississippi State was able to pull that off because (a) they moved the ball about 35 downfield in their 2-minute offense to get close enough for Prescott's arm. We offered little resistance on the previous 3 or four plays; and (b) almost no pressure on their qb--he was able to step up, set, and let it go without any harassment. We should be better this year with pressuring the passer.
I guess that is a consideration, but had MSU had any kind of red zone offense, or had not the constricted playing field improved our defense, it might have been a real shootout, and that's in full acknowledgement that we blew them out. But it seems we are counting this fall on a better pass rush from the same people who didn't give us one last season ... and a guy who has not made eligibility in two seasons. Seems a thin reed to me, as much as I want to believe it. I hope all the optimism is founded and the D starts to match the O. Which raises my question: when we will know about JHD? Aug. 1, or the start of the fall semester, whenever that is?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
But it seems we are counting this fall on a better pass rush from the same people who didn't give us one last season ... and a guy who has not made eligibility in two seasons
O.K., let's try a "glass half full" approach with this line of thought. Our offensive line was magnificent last year. But wait, these were the same guys who let us down the year before. Now, let's not nitpick to death the details of how an offensive line that was essentially the same as the previous year could make a quantum leap in effectiveness. Just consider the broader truth that glimpses of progress from a previous year, plus an added year of experience and conditioning, usually bodes well.

And our defensive line is bringing back two guys who are already on an NFL watch list, an All American and another guy (Kallon) who reportedly is starting to have the light go on. Yes, I am extremely optimistic about this defensive line. It will have more depth, more experience and some guys who were showing glimpses last year. Kind of like how the offensive line turned around the previous year.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
The part I keep coming back to is how scheme can affect yards given up. If you go back and watch the game we were trying to slow them down and keep them out of the endzone. When you do that you give up yards. Yes, they also scored 34 points which is bad - but we put up 49 which is good. Ultimately we neutralized their scoring opportunities and took away the game.

I am not saying we can't improve, nor that we haven't got any clear areas to focus on, but ultimately they did what we do to teams. Kept coming back for more, and continued to move the ball well. The difference was in closing in on paydirt.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
O.K., let's try a "glass half full" approach with this line of thought. Our offensive line was magnificent last year. But wait, these were the same guys who let us down the year before. Now, let's not nitpick to death the details of how an offensive line that was essentially the same as the previous year could make a quantum leap in effectiveness. Just consider the broader truth that glimpses of progress from a previous year, plus an added year of experience and conditioning, usually bodes well.

And our defensive line is bringing back two guys who are already on an NFL watch list, an All American and another guy (Kallon) who reportedly is starting to have the light go on. Yes, I am extremely optimistic about this defensive line. It will have more depth, more experience and some guys who were showing glimpses last year. Kind of like how the offensive line turned around the previous year.
Again, I hope all of you are right and my doubts are just silly putty. But please note there are now two wild cards to the prognosis: JHD and now Kallon, who is asked to go where he has never been able to go, and I get it he has little experience. But that applies in August, too.

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
@Architorture23: Quite the paradox based on what you wrote. Glad to hear you did enjoy the OB win except for the performance by the defense.

You might want to consider how a current GT defender would interpret your comments given that you called out their "But 600 yards and 34 points..." performance. Ugh!

Probably the same way that I did. If you want to make a post about "bad defense" you ought to write about the North Carolina Tar Heels. Just a thought.
you don't think Ted Roof has been pounding on them about it? They don't need me to tell them they need to get better.

I'm not a North Carolina Tar heels fan so why should I write a post about them? I want my team, Georgia Tech in case you weren't following along, to be better on defense that giving up 600 yards. If they give up 600 yards and win every game, I'll celebrate just as hard as everybody else. But maybe unlike you, I don't think we'll win every game if we give up 600 yards very often.

And let it be known, when we were up 42-20 early in the second half of the game, I wasn't fretting or complaining about our defense giving up yards. I was celebrating the W to come because the game was in hand... due to our offense.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
Along the way to 49-34 there was a concept known as: Garbage yardage. 3 is more than 0; 6 is more than 3; and 49 is more than 34. Scoreboard. Ugh!

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
Along the way to 49-34 there was a concept known as: Garbage yardage. 3 is more than 0; 6 is more than 3; and 49 is more than 34. Scoreboard. Ugh!
they had 301 yards in the first half and 304 yards in the second half. doesn't seem like garbage yards to me.

we stopped them on downs inside the red zone twice in the second half, which was obviously a job well done. if we were not scoring at will they probably would have kicked field goals. but everyone knows field goals don't beat this team.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
they had 301 yards in the first half and 304 yards in the second half. doesn't seem like garbage yards to me.

we stopped them on downs inside the red zone twice in the second half, which was obviously a job well done. if we were not scoring at will they probably would have kicked field goals. but everyone knows field goals don't beat this team.

Everyone except FSU. (y)

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Again, I hope all of you are right and my doubts are just silly putty. But please note there are now two wild cards to the prognosis: JHD and now Kallon, who is asked to go where he has never been able to go, and I get it he has little experience. But that applies in August, too.
I'd say there's actually 3 wild cards on the D line this year, with the addition of Whitehead. I'm interested to see what he can do to contribute to the pass rush.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
It seems we are all over the place with where we think our D will be. Last year was tough to watch and if we did not hold the ball 65% of the time it would be ugly. My excitement comes from the fact all of us probably feel we will continue to hold the ball 65% of the time, we return a lot of play makers on D and the DL will be marginally better. This info we would probable agree on even if our glass has very little water and would be enough for most of us to be happy about the direction of the program. Now if your glass is full, you and I think the DL is something to be excited about and we can't wait to see what two or three extra stops a game we do . Maybe change the ball ownership to 75% to 80% of the time and have other team fans saying the triple option is where the game goes to die! Obviously, I wear golden sun glasses every day.