Depth Chart for Tulane....Timmy 2nd string QB

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This says it all. There's no comparison being in the system for 2 yrs vs. 2 months. MJ wasn't a last second add on to the class, either. He was our #1 target that year.

Definitely don't remember a single thing saying he was our #1 target. And, if he was, it was only because Vad just left, essentially leaving us with unknowns at QB. It's hard for me to believe that he would have been our #1 guy over Autry, Leggett, Andrew Marshall, Klock, Durham, Freeman, etc. Jordan was our 11th commitment

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Jordan enrolled in January of 2014. He hasn't had two years to learn the offense; he hasn't even been at GT two years. He's had 2 spring practices and one season. While he got some reps with the offense, he didn't get nearly as many as Thomas or Byerly - particularly during the season.

Also, Jordan was the one who was moved to AB. Again, none of us know the real reason why (be it a lack of confidence in the AB situation, a surplus of confidence in Jordan's ability such that we wanted him to see the field immediately, a lack of confidence in Jordan as a QB, or a surplus of confidence in our QB recruits of the future such that Jordan wouldn't play QB). I really don't think it was driven solely by a mad desire to get Jordan on the field because he's such a great player; if he was that good he may have beat out Byerly for the backup slot or - more importantly - would have been much higher on the AB depth chart.

My guess is the move was an attempt at permanence, since otherwise we would want to move Byerly (if we were looking for a temporary, one year solution re AB depth, Byerly would have been the best fit while leaving Jordan to fill the backup QB slot).

Now, maybe we decided to move Jordan back. But my guess is we saw enough out of Campbell to know that he was the future at the position, which is why we moved Jordan.

For those of you poopooing four years of experience in a similar high school offense - jaybo was pretty efficient at running whatwe did out of high school.
You're right, I was for some reason thinking Jordan was a RS Soph. My point kind of still stands, though...I trust a guy who's a year older/stronger and has been in our QB meetings over the last year and a half (except the last 3 weeks where he was trying AB) and getting personal coaching from Cook/Johnson over a true freshman who ran similar concepts in HS. Mostly, I trust that our coach will make the best decision here, seeing as how he has all the information and we really have nothing. Maybe next year Campbell would be a better option, but for this year I think Jordan would be a better option.
And to your point of "Jordan was the one moved to AB", Campbell was the one moved to scout team, not practicing with the varsity. I think that gives an indication that Johnson feels more comfortable with Jordan responsible for carrying the ball this year.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Definitely don't remember a single thing saying he was our #1 target. And, if he was, it was only because Vad just left, essentially leaving us with unknowns at QB. It's hard for me to believe that he would have been our #1 guy over Autry, Leggett, Andrew Marshall, Klock, Durham, Freeman, etc. Jordan was our 11th commitment
I took his comment to mean that Jordan was our #1 target at QB that year, not overall.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I honestly don't understand this whole Jordan vs Campbell debate. What we think doesn't matter a hill of beans. Coaches will make that call and then we will all know.

Or is this just an exercise in competing for who is the best at predicting? In that case I'll vote for the side that thinks Jordan will be our 2nd QB going forward. Campbell will probably dress and travel with the team now though as security / 3rd QB. But if not pressed into service will likely keep his shirt.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
You're right, I was for some reason thinking Jordan was a RS Soph. My point kind of still stands, though...I trust a guy who's a year older/stronger and has been in our QB meetings over the last year and a half (except the last 3 weeks where he was trying AB) and getting personal coaching from Cook/Johnson over a true freshman who ran similar concepts in HS. Mostly, I trust that our coach will make the best decision here, seeing as how he has all the information and we really have nothing. Maybe next year Campbell would be a better option, but for this year I think Jordan would be a better option.
And to your point of "Jordan was the one moved to AB", Campbell was the one moved to scout team, not practicing with the varsity. I think that gives an indication that Johnson feels more comfortable with Jordan responsible for carrying the ball this year.
Nothing takes the place of reps under center but Jordan learned somethings playing AB that will help him as QB.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I think there are valid points to both sides. The only way to know which is right would be to watch practice or to get inside CPJ's head. Unfortunately we can do neither so we are left to internet message boards.

I think we can all agree we hope CPJ doesn't have to worry about Christian v. Jordan until next year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Jordan enrolled in January of 2014. He hasn't had two years to learn the offense; he hasn't even been at GT two years. He's had 2 spring practices and one season. While he got some reps with the offense, he didn't get nearly as many as Thomas or Byerly - particularly during the season.

Also, Jordan was the one who was moved to AB. Again, none of us know the real reason why (be it a lack of confidence in the AB situation, a surplus of confidence in Jordan's ability such that we wanted him to see the field immediately, a lack of confidence in Jordan as a QB, or a surplus of confidence in our QB recruits of the future such that Jordan wouldn't play QB). I really don't think it was driven solely by a mad desire to get Jordan on the field because he's such a great player; if he was that good he may have beat out Byerly for the backup slot or - more importantly - would have been much higher on the AB depth chart.

My guess is the move was an attempt at permanence, since otherwise we would want to move Byerly (if we were looking for a temporary, one year solution re AB depth, Byerly would have been the best fit while leaving Jordan to fill the backup QB slot).

Now, maybe we decided to move Jordan back. But my guess is we saw enough out of Campbell to know that he was the future at the position, which is why we moved Jordan.

For those of you poopooing four years of experience in a similar high school offense - jaybo was pretty efficient at running whatwe did out of high school.

Jaybo didn't run what we did Flowery Branch...he ran a spread variant similar to what Urban Meyer runs (out of the shotgun to boot):

As for running a system similar to ours in HS, ask Synjyn Days how that worked out for him. His HS offense at Hillgrove was an exact replica of ours. Just because you run a "similar" system doesn't make you more or less inclined to do well in our system being played in a P5 conference.

Matthew Jordan's experience in our system for 1.5+ years is far more valuable than Christian's experience in HS in a "similar offense" of 3 years (or how ever long he was the QB in HS). MJ has been coached to make reads the way we want it, to read keys the way we want it, to adjust calls based on what our coaches want, and understands our concepts the way our coaches dissect them. Christian hasn't even been on campus or even had snaps with the "varsity" enough to know what questions to ask. It doesn't mean CC won't be a good player, but the coaches have invested enough time in MJ to know what he can or can't do, where CC probably has spent more time getting the assignments down for the other team's offense to run against our varsity defense, then actually running our offense.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The only thing I trust completely is my own eyes. Since I have never seen CC take a snap and have been limited to watching MJ for a spring game, I am put in the humbling position of having no opinion. Gotta go with whatever the coaches have planned and take a deep breath until I know. Having TB on the roster was like having a really good insurance policy. Well, I have now lost my insurance and feel exposed. TB was like the Aaaaaaflaaac Goose (or whatever that thing was) for me. If JT went out, we really wouldn't miss a beat. Now, I am not so sure. When you have QB 1A and 1B, losing 1B is a lot different than losing your second CB or something. We have been talking about the possibility of a special season. Those things rarely come about without the help of a really really good #2 at QB. Just ask OSU.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
CPJ certainly is in the best position to decide and it is his decision. I would think the Tulane game will give us insight into what his decision will be although having Christian for an extra year (so he can play more years with his baby brother :)) sounds good to me.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Tell that to Ohio St.
Ohio St doesn't recruit 2 QBs a year nor do they have 7 QBs getting reps in practice. It just happened, by random chance and luck, that their 3rd string QB turned out to have 1st round NFL talent.

Like I said, for 99% of teams, playing your 3rd string QB is not a recipe for success regardless of coach or system.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Encouraging comment about TB possibly returning "in later weeks"

I think what CPJ said is very encouraging. In the past on serious injuries, CPJ has flat out said they are out for the year. He hasn't played games in this area in the past. So as of whenever the quote was given, CPJ thought Byerly could be back in a few weeks.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Did Johnson say that this was Jordan's third year? Isn't Jrordan a RS. Fr making this his second year? Or did I misread something?